IGNORED

Jon Economou

City Rocker

Much has been written about the Ashton Gate 8 and quite rightly. But that game and team that played against Fulham stick in my mind just as much.

History of our beloved club was being made that day, the start of a long and difficult climb away from near extinction. I'll never forget the team running out in front of 10,000 sounding more like 30,000 and barely a dry eye

We were saved and although things would get worse on the pitch before they got better, we were so proud of that young team and always will be.

Shocking to see one of them pass,  RIP Jon

I'm very sad to hear this news. That's far too young.

A few years back I was lucky enough to sit next to him at one of those hospitality events. I think it was against Peterborough during the Derek M era. A lovely day, and he was great to talk to. I remember him talking about the Corinthian Casuals cup match and he remembered coming up against a young Alan Pardew. 

One of a special group of people from a special time. RIP Jon.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Much has been written about the Ashton Gate 8 and quite rightly. But that game and team that played against Fulham stick in my mind just as much.

History of our beloved club was being made that day, the start of a long and difficult climb away from near extinction. I'll never forget the team running out in front of 10,000 sounding more like 30,000 and barely a dry eye

We were saved and although things would get worse on the pitch before they got better, we were so proud of that young team and always will be.

Shocking to see one of them pass,  RIP Jon

I remember the game so well....every pass, every tackle, made by those young lads was cheered like they'd scored. 

47 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I'm very sad to hear this news. That's far too young.

A few years back I was lucky enough to sit next to him at one of those hospitality events. I think it was against Peterborough during the Derek M era. A lovely day, and he was great to talk to. I remember him talking about the Corinthian Casuals cup match and he remembered coming up against a young Alan Pardew. 

One of a special group of people from a special time. RIP Jon.

I forgot he played that day!....Certainly didn't realize Pardew did! You live and learn!

Mate of mine in Poole just found out, said:

“Sad 2 hear that, he was my fav player.. I dreamt I wud meet him the night before when going 2 watch Jimmy White at Redwood lodge 4 the Rothmans about 1983 the next day I met him in the foya he was on his own & his fav player was JW unbelievable true story we got chatting as I reconised him we had a pint & watched JW all afternoon”

11 hours ago, Der no.2 said:

Mate of mine in Poole just found out, said:

“Sad 2 hear that, he was my fav player.. I dreamt I wud meet him the night before when going 2 watch Jimmy White at Redwood lodge 4 the Rothmans about 1983 the next day I met him in the foya he was on his own & his fav player was JW unbelievable true story we got chatting as I reconised him we had a pint & watched JW all afternoon”

I used to regularly play snooker at Redwood Lodge with Jon and several other City players.

I spoke to him only a couple of years ago at the hospital I work in. When I told him he made his debut in the first city match I went to see, he was genuinely pleased, and we had a good chat. A really decent and friendly guy. 57 is no age, thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time

I was 13 years old in 1982 and often walked to AG on Saturdays, after buying a single from Virgin in Broadmead. On West Street in Bedminster a car pulled up and offered me a lift to AG. It was Jon who recognised me as I was a regular at all first team and reserve home matches and was always getting autographs. I was chuffed to bits to get out of the car with a professional footballer!!

18 hours ago, archie andrews said:

neat and tidy with a creative side...possibly wrong team to be playing in at the time ex Tottenham trainee iirc

rip jon

Add on stylish, he also had the look of a terrace lad at the time, the casual look. 

Very sad news, it really hits home, it feels like I grew up with him in a strange sort of way, him and the rest of the young players gave us such pride on the terraces in those days. They gave on the pitch what we felt as City fans, after an horrendous 3 relegations and nearly losing our club, Jon and his team mates gave us back our pride. 

Someone on this thread mentioned one of our chants from back in those days, “ we’re proud of you” was the chant, I certainly was when watching what Jon gave to us, r.i.p Jon.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Too busy promoting a Halloween package. Really poor.

Indeed.

Here is the official site info for the away match at WBA.

The Robins visit The Hawthorns on Wednesday, November 27th (8pm KO), with a full allocation of 2,000 tickets received.

Tickets will go off sale on Wednesday, November 28th at 11am.

Just sloppy, with no attention to detail.

I fail to understand why there is no mention of Jon Economou, even the local paper managed to publish something.

Archived