Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

City Rocker

Jon Economou

A few years before my time. What kind of player was he?

RIP Jon.

Edited by Super

One of several young players * handed their debut for the home game v Fulham.......the first game following the AG8 leaving. Went on to play 65 games but was then released 2 years later by Terry Cooper as he rebuilt the side with better players. He drifted into non league playing locally for Devizes Glos. Yeovil FGR Minehead & Weston.

* struggling to remember all the debutante v Fulham although I was at the game. Wayne Bray I remember plus Jon....Garry Smith maybe Steve Thompson Ricky Chandler Alan Nicholls Paul Stevens......I think only 4 made debuts plus the sub. Anyone remember?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

One of several young players * handed their debut for the home game v Fulham.......the first game following the AG8 leaving. Went on to play 65 games but was then released 2 years later by Terry Cooper as he rebuilt the side with better players. He drifted into non league playing locally for Devizes Glos. Yeovil FGR Minehead & Weston.

* struggling to remember all the debutante v Fulham although I was at the game. Wayne Bray I remember plus Jon....Garry Smith maybe Steve Thompson Ricky Chandler Alan Nicholls Paul Stevens......I think only 4 made debuts plus the sub. Anyone remember?

Not Paul Stevens, he'd already made his debut by then, back in the first division days I believe.

Would agree on Bray and Chandler and I thought Rob Newman also made his debut that day, can't be 100% sure though...long time ago.

Rest In Peace Jon.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Not Paul Stevens, he'd already made his debut by then, back in the first division days I believe.

Would agree on Bray and Chandler and I thought Rob Newman also made his debut that day, can't be 100% sure though...long time ago.

Rest In Peace Jon.

GT interviewed biff recently and he was talking about that game. Pretty sure he said it was his debut at 16. Remember Jon very well. Same age as me!

God bless mate! 

39 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Rest In Peace Jon.

Just checked some of old City history books ( who needs google!)  and Rob Newman was one of the debutants v Fulham. Alan Nicholls had already been handed his debut by Bob Houghton V Sheff W....(I read)...and Chandler similarly debuted v Watford in 1981. Wayne Bray did make his first appearance in that game at 17 yrs old.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

J Moller   P Stevens   A Hay   R Newman   G Williams   A Nicholls   R Musker   W Bray   R Chandler   M Harford   J Economou

Sub : M Smith

A name I'll always remember; he'd have been in the team the first time I'd have seen City play as a kid in the early 80s. 57 is absolutely no age at all. RIP. 

• Like 1

I met Jon a couple of years back, while we were both waiting for our cars to be serviced. Came over and had a coffee and chat. Talked about his career and showed me the newspaper cutting and picture of his time in hospital a year or so before. I think he was quite pleased I remembered seeing him play, even if he was only on the fringes of the first team. An hour passed very quickly in his company. 

• Like 7

Sad news, I remember his debut and would have seen pretty much all the home games he played in and a few away, thought he was a creative player but inconsistent.  At that time you would not have thought that of the debutants in the Fulham game, as well as all the other young players around at the time, that the only one to really push on up the football ladder was Rob Newman.  When Jon first got into the 1st team he seemed to have something about him, surprised to see that he left league football so early. RIP.

IIRC correctly he was of Greek heritage.

Edited by New Dazzler
  • Like 1

Fought cancer a few times sarcoma I think, was first diagnosed about 6 years ago with a recurrence almost exactly 3 years ago in his leg, sad news another player gone to  the great game in the sky. Rip JON. 

Jon was a true gentleman, showed me great compassion at a time in my life when i was in a very dark place. 

Think I'm correct in saying the last time he put the red and white kit on was at Gerry Gows testimonial. 

Rest in peace Jon.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Such sad news . I remember him going off injured away at Aldershot just after that Fulham game to a chorus of “ we’re proud of you “ ....... never forgotten that . RIP Jon ,  for specific reasons a City legend along with the other lads you mention above ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh

Slightly before my time, but certainly a name you can't forget due to its significance with a troubled time in our history and its scarcity as a name. Certainly never heard of another Economou since

RIP Jon 🔴

Whenever a former City player dies, I feel sad and also grateful to them for their efforts while with the club.

If they are a lot younger than me, I feel extra sad.

I clearly remember the Fulham game in which the team of kids gave everything and obtained an amazing result with the 0-0 draw.

RIP Jon and thanks for the memories and your part in the resurrection of our club. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Much has been written about the Ashton Gate 8 and quite rightly. But that game and team that played against Fulham stick in my mind just as much.

History of our beloved club was being made that day, the start of a long and difficult climb away from near extinction. I'll never forget the team running out in front of 10,000 sounding more like 30,000 and barely a dry eye

We were saved and although things would get worse on the pitch before they got better, we were so proud of that young team and always will be.

Shocking to see one of them pass,  RIP Jon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

I'm very sad to hear this news. That's far too young.

A few years back I was lucky enough to sit next to him at one of those hospitality events. I think it was against Peterborough during the Derek M era. A lovely day, and he was great to talk to. I remember him talking about the Corinthian Casuals cup match and he remembered coming up against a young Alan Pardew. 

One of a special group of people from a special time. RIP Jon.

• Robin 2

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Much has been written about the Ashton Gate 8 and quite rightly. But that game and team that played against Fulham stick in my mind just as much.

History of our beloved club was being made that day, the start of a long and difficult climb away from near extinction. I'll never forget the team running out in front of 10,000 sounding more like 30,000 and barely a dry eye

We were saved and although things would get worse on the pitch before they got better, we were so proud of that young team and always will be.

Shocking to see one of them pass,  RIP Jon

I remember the game so well....every pass, every tackle, made by those young lads was cheered like they'd scored. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I'm very sad to hear this news. That's far too young.

A few years back I was lucky enough to sit next to him at one of those hospitality events. I think it was against Peterborough during the Derek M era. A lovely day, and he was great to talk to. I remember him talking about the Corinthian Casuals cup match and he remembered coming up against a young Alan Pardew. 

One of a special group of people from a special time. RIP Jon.

I forgot he played that day!....Certainly didn't realize Pardew did! You live and learn!

Awfully sad news.

His (and others) contribution to keeping us going during the lean years recovery period cannot be underestimated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Super said:

A few years before my time. What kind of player was he?

RIP Jon.

neat and tidy with a creative side...possibly wrong team to be playing in at the time ex Tottenham trainee iirc

rip jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mate of mine in Poole just found out, said:

“Sad 2 hear that, he was my fav player.. I dreamt I wud meet him the night before when going 2 watch Jimmy White at Redwood lodge 4 the Rothmans about 1983 the next day I met him in the foya he was on his own & his fav player was JW unbelievable true story we got chatting as I reconised him we had a pint & watched JW all afternoon”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Der no.2 said:

Mate of mine in Poole just found out, said:

“Sad 2 hear that, he was my fav player.. I dreamt I wud meet him the night before when going 2 watch Jimmy White at Redwood lodge 4 the Rothmans about 1983 the next day I met him in the foya he was on his own & his fav player was JW unbelievable true story we got chatting as I reconised him we had a pint & watched JW all afternoon”

I used to regularly play snooker at Redwood Lodge with Jon and several other City players.

I spoke to him only a couple of years ago at the hospital I work in. When I told him he made his debut in the first city match I went to see, he was genuinely pleased, and we had a good chat. A really decent and friendly guy. 57 is no age, thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time

• Like 2

I was 13 years old in 1982 and often walked to AG on Saturdays, after buying a single from Virgin in Broadmead. On West Street in Bedminster a car pulled up and offered me a lift to AG. It was Jon who recognised me as I was a regular at all first team and reserve home matches and was always getting autographs. I was chuffed to bits to get out of the car with a professional footballer!!

Edited by Masala
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1