IGNORED

Great Bristol City story

phantom

• Admin

0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-10-12-at-163439jpe

Since the mid-1970s, Roger Trainer has followed Bristol City home and away. Taking in the ups, downs, ebb and flow of his beloved Robins in Bristol and from all corners of the country.

It's been a huge part of his life but this season has been taken away from Roger as he battles with Parkinson's disease which has made travelling to games impossible.

No longer able to take his seat in the Dolman Stand, the joy of watching his beloved City is now consigned to memory and has only made the impact of the neurological condition that much harder.

A roofer by trade, the father-of-two is unable to work so has lost his main source of income, putting a huge burden on his family and only adding to the challenges of living life with Parkinson's.

But such is the 64-year-old's popularity, and the impact he has made across the community both in his home town of Keynsham and through his life as a City fan, he had an army of friends to call on in support.

On Saturday, more than 150 close mates, colleagues and fellow City fans surprised Roger at the Lock Keeper pub in Keynsham to present him with more than £2,500 they had raised for him plus a signed Robins jersey donated by the club.

"He was overwhelmed," lifelong pal Steve Jones said. "He's a proud man so won't make a big deal of it but I know how much it meant to him.

"We all love him dearly and know how hard these last few years have been for him and his family so just wanted to show that and do what we can.

"He's always been a man to help others - through his charity and community work in Keynsham or with City.

"As Roger said to me, 'you judge a man's true wealth not by how much money he's got, but by how many friends he has'."

Steve along with Steve Maggs and Lloyd Russell set up a Just Giving page to help Roger last month and then before Bristol City's last home game against Reading, went collecting around the pubs outside Ashton Gate.

"He thought he was just going for a small drink," Lloyd said. "His reaction said it all and we were all choked up by it.

"It was a mark of respect for the man, to see that many people turn out for him. We only planned a little gathering but you only have to see the numbers to see what he means to so many people.

"Bristol City is his life. A lot of the players know him. So to have that taken away from him has been really hard for him to take."

Parkinson's is a neurological condition which develops when cells in the brain stop working properly and are lost over time. It's thought around 1 in 500 people are affected by the disease.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-10-12-at-163439jpe

Since the mid-1970s, Roger Trainer has followed Bristol City home and away. Taking in the ups, downs, ebb and flow of his beloved Robins in Bristol and from all corners of the country.

It's been a huge part of his life but this season has been taken away from Roger as he battles with Parkinson's disease which has made travelling to games impossible.

No longer able to take his seat in the Dolman Stand, the joy of watching his beloved City is now consigned to memory and has only made the impact of the neurological condition that much harder.

A roofer by trade, the father-of-two is unable to work so has lost his main source of income, putting a huge burden on his family and only adding to the challenges of living life with Parkinson's.

But such is the 64-year-old's popularity, and the impact he has made across the community both in his home town of Keynsham and through his life as a City fan, he had an army of friends to call on in support.

On Saturday, more than 150 close mates, colleagues and fellow City fans surprised Roger at the Lock Keeper pub in Keynsham to present him with more than £2,500 they had raised for him plus a signed Robins jersey donated by the club.

"He was overwhelmed," lifelong pal Steve Jones said. "He's a proud man so won't make a big deal of it but I know how much it meant to him.

"We all love him dearly and know how hard these last few years have been for him and his family so just wanted to show that and do what we can.

"He's always been a man to help others - through his charity and community work in Keynsham or with City.

"As Roger said to me, 'you judge a man's true wealth not by how much money he's got, but by how many friends he has'."

Steve along with Steve Maggs and Lloyd Russell set up a Just Giving page to help Roger last month and then before Bristol City's last home game against Reading, went collecting around the pubs outside Ashton Gate.

"He thought he was just going for a small drink," Lloyd said. "His reaction said it all and we were all choked up by it.

"It was a mark of respect for the man, to see that many people turn out for him. We only planned a little gathering but you only have to see the numbers to see what he means to so many people.

"Bristol City is his life. A lot of the players know him. So to have that taken away from him has been really hard for him to take."

Parkinson's is a neurological condition which develops when cells in the brain stop working properly and are lost over time. It's thought around 1 in 500 people are affected by the disease.

I was there and honestly had tears running down my cheeks when Rog was given the £2500.00.

He had no idea over 150 us were there, infact he thought he had been picked up to have a quiet drink with half a dozen.

Hes a diamond of a bloke and if you ever want to listen about away days with bristol City this is the man to tell.

I can only wish him all the very best for the future x

• Admin
7 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

A very moving story indeed and credit to all his friends for helping him out.

Any chance of a link to his JustGiving page please ?

I bet I am not alone among City fans who will chip in something - if they can.

Here you go @The Red Planet

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/stephen-maggs?utm_id=33&utm_term=BBeDr2Nzx

Archived