IGNORED

Stadium record attendance claim

Southstandoriginal

2 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

There is an article on the Bristol Bears site that claims that the crowd for their forthcoming fixture with Bath will be a stadium record for a sporting fixture at Ashton Gate.   Well that's nice for them, being in those 30,000+ crowds in the 70s must have just been a dream!

Obviously a rugger fan is worth 2x  those tiresome round ball oiks.

2 minutes ago, Meh said:

I would guess they mean since being all seater.

Give your head a wobble and chill - it is now their home too - they are allowed to be happy with a bumper crowd

I am happy that they are getting a bumper crowd and as far as I'm concerned they are most welcome here.   It's just a badly written article. 

1 minute ago, Southstandoriginal said:

I am happy that they are getting a bumper crowd and as far as I'm concerned they are most welcome here.   It's just a badly written article. 

I just watched it on twitter. It is funny that they are taking the piss out of the record for Bath at home but maybe should have emphasised a record for rugby, albeit, it is a ? post and not an Ashton Gate stadium one so I think that was meant to be inferred; maybe not as clearly as it could have been.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

So are they saying that the match against Manure wasn't a sell out? It's amazing that another 310 complete with pint glasses can be fitted in our new stadium! Or is it just that rugby fans, (especially the students!),  don't need separating!

No segregation is the key difference

edit: I presume there is not a singing section so can sell all seats also?

8 minutes ago, Midred said:

So are they saying that the match against Manure wasn't a sell out? It's amazing that another 310 complete with pint glasses can be fitted in our new stadium! Or is it just that rugby fans, (especially the students!),  don't need separating!

It was a sell out, as was Man City and a few others before and since. However it was a sell out in the sense that all available tickets were sold. 

Unfortunately due to segregation we can’t really have a truly ‘full house’ however it’s fair to assume that had it been possible for the League Cup games against Manchester and Manchester this would’ve been easily achieved. 

45 minutes ago, Meh said:

I would guess they mean since being all seater.

Give your head a wobble and chill - it is now their home too - they are allowed to be happy with a bumper crowd

Pretty sure everyone is delighted by the success of the rugby club. 

To be fair to the OP though it is a misleading statement and doesn't clearly refer to the redeveloped Ashton Gate. That's probably just a careless omission but it still downplays our football club's history, which is a little bit irritating. 

1 hour ago, Meh said:

I just watched it on twitter. It is funny that they are taking the piss out of the record for Bath at home but maybe should have emphasised a record for rugby, albeit, it is a ? post and not an Ashton Gate stadium one so I think that was meant to be inferred; maybe not as clearly as it could have been.

They said it's a stadium record. When clearly it's not. 

Didn't the summer concerts attract even larger crowds than that?

The stadium record was 43,000 v Preston 1935 !!

I remember being in a crowds v Southampton and Spurs in the late 60's with - I think - 37000....  And I was locked out v Liverpool in our first div 1 season when we won 2-1 - 32000 was the official attendance and the turnstiles were shut at 6.45.....loads scaled the railings to get in before the stewards arrived to stop it (at the open end). I got there at 5.30 but still missed out!

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I remember being in a crowds v Southampton and Spurs in the late 60's with - I think - 37000....  And I was locked out v Liverpool in our first div 1 season when we won 2-1 - 32000 was the official attendance and the turnstiles were shut at 6.45.....loads scaled the railings to get in before the stewards arrived to stop it (at the open end). I got there at 5.30 but still missed out!

I got into the Open End for that Liverpool game as a teenager without paying. They let us in free due to the crush outside I think.

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Think the 'official' attendance at the Liverpool game in 77 was actually over 38,500.

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I got into the Open End for that Liverpool game as a teenager without paying. They let us in free due to the crush outside I think.

We paid in the East End. I was 11, my feet didn't touch the ground for several minutes after the second goal went in. 

20 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

38,000 was the official attendance for the City 2-1 win v Liverpool. The capacity was at that time 37,000. The following season our capacity was reduced to 32,000 and 32,000 seen Liverpool, the European Champions, draw 1-1 at Ashton Gate.

14 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If memory serves it was one of the rare occasions back then where it was all ticket. I know I had one anyhow as our house got burgled a couple of days before the game and I was so relieved the little scratter hadn`t taken it!

14 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

If memory serves it was one of the rare occasions back then where it was all ticket. I know I had one anyhow as our house got burgled a couple of days before the game and I was so relieved the little scratter hadn`t taken it!

The 1977 2-1 win wasn't all ticket as I paid on the night. The game in December 1978 when City beat Liverpool 1-0 with a Joe Royle goal was all ticket.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

38,000 was the official attendance for the City 2-1 win v Liverpool. The capacity was at that time 37,000. The following season our capacity was reduced to 32,000 and 32,000 seen Liverpool, the European Champions, draw 1-1 at Ashton Gate.

At risk of sounding sag-ish, they reckoned there was over 40 there, at the time !

Sounds like some (typically) bad journalism.

Just makes me smile to see the rugby club go from strength to strength after the blue few's owners did their best to drive them out of business.

They can't even look a gift horse in the mouth. They just try to punch them.

Thanks for the revenue!

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Ok Thanks.....I thought is was 32k - a long time ago....I remember queuing from 5.30 and got to within 20 feet of the turnstiles when they were slammed shut!  

4 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

There is an article on the Bristol Bears site that claims that the crowd for their forthcoming fixture with Bath will be a stadium record for a sporting fixture at Ashton Gate.   Well that's nice for them, being in those 30,000+ crowds in the 70s must have just been a dream!

I was in the ground for all of City's very big postwar crowds. All of them over 38,000 and atmosphere was great if you didn't mind the urine running down the terracing.

But that was then and now we have a superb, modern stadium. Because a few football spectators are unable to behave themselves and respect others who support a different team, it was inevitable that the stadium record, as it now is, would be broken at a rugby match.

So, until we have no 10% reductions for standing as in S82 corner and segregation between those from a different club, called Utopia, the Bristol Bears will hold the record for a very long time.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I was in the ground for all of City's very big postwar crowds. All of them over 38,000 and atmosphere was great if you didn't mind the urine running down the terracing.

But that was then and now we have a superb, modern stadium. Because a few football spectators are unable to behave themselves and respect others who support a different team, it was inevitable that the stadium record, as it now is, would be broken at a rugby match.

So, until we have no 10% reductions for standing as in S82 corner and segregation between those from a different club, called Utopia, the Bristol Bears will hold the record for a very long time.

Well that's all very nice, but not really relevant to the OP, who rightly pointed out that the article was incorrect. 

Just needs a reshuffle, "a record in the new stadium" or since redevelopment or since rebuild. PR/marketing has been a mixed bag this year, hopefully it will get sorted. Can't wait for Friday, seems like an age.

Gillingham FC supporting mate is coming down for the Sale game on the first, shame City are away that weekend (Barnsley, I think?) as it would have been a great to double up. He hasn't visited AG since the rebuild and is looking forward to it. Still it means we have an excuse to make another weekend of it.

Archived