IGNORED

Stadium record attendance claim

Southstandoriginal

10 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Ok Thanks.....I thought is was 32k - a long time ago....I remember queuing from 5.30 and got to within 20 feet of the turnstiles when they were slammed shut!  

My sister couldn't get in either, I was in the Open End and had no idea the attendance was so large and that people had been turned away until the attendance was announced and at the end at times my feet didn't touch the ground when we were exiting.

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

To turn this debate on it's head........... just imagine if it was all standing now  (just seats in upper Lansdown and  upper Dolman)  it would probably hold nearer 50000 .

Yes, the ground is definitely a lot bigger now in terms of size of structures and space available for fans. When I am in there I often think how it looked back in the seventies and imagine how I would've reacted had I could see then what the ground would look like now in 2019. I think my eyes would've popped out of my head. I reckon I would've thought we must've won several European Cups along the way, rather than having occupied the bottom place in the Football League.

Ground attendance records are only relevant at the time they are created. I was in the 42,000 crowd against Blackpool in 1959 and that is the biggest post war.

I believe that it is a tribute to everyone that the stadium will be full to capacity yet again. SL, The Fans, The Players, and so on. It's good to be at our ground watching both City and Bears when it is full and buzzing.

For me that is what I've enjoyed ever since Dad took me to live games when I was five. And when I can't go, will someone please screw the lid on very tightly. 

A couple of hundred attendees is irrelevant. Isn't it great that both clubs are doing well and pulling them in!

On Twitter this morning, the club are claiming a sell out with 26399 tickets being sold, however according to http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/eng/ashton_gate the capacity is 27,699, which implies another 1300 seats could\should be available?

They can't all be restricted views, netted off, allocated to TV cameras etc... can they?

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

At risk of sounding sag-ish, they reckoned there was over 40 there, at the time !

Almost certainly correct, Slart.

Remember this was back in the day when there were a number of stewards who'd let people in, cash in hand and directly into their pockets.

26 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

When I started watching City, the Dolman area was being cleared for the building of the new stand.  My first big crowd was the Spurs FL cup semi, then the Leeds and Liverpool cup games all had crowds of around 37 or 38k.

As a nipper, being pushed along in crowds of that size was quite scary. All fantastic experiences though.

Always thought the Spurs attendance was about 32,000.?

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is unreserved seating at rugby, in the Dolman wings I believe.

That was removed for this season onwards

The other thing with football, we seemed to lose lots of seats for the TV cameras, so possibly could even go higher if a fixture wasn't on TV?

17 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

At risk of sounding sag-ish, they reckoned there was over 40 there, at the time !

Well me and a load of others didn’t pay,the corrugated tin at the back of the East End was pulled up and many,many got through before the alarm was raised,got into the middle of the East End,don’t think my feet touched the ground.

Splitting hairs is pathetic ... who really is bothered about whether this crowd was 1.056% bigger than that crowd :laugh:?  Anything that puts the West Country on the map is to be welcome.  In the big scheme of things, we are a big fish in a small pool ... pretty poor really:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_capacity

55 minutes ago, swampy said:

Splitting hairs is pathetic ... who really is bothered about whether this crowd was 1.056% bigger than that crowd :laugh:?  Anything that puts the West Country on the map is to be welcome.  In the big scheme of things, we are a big fish in a small pool ... pretty poor really:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_capacity

Actually, it was 1.053% bigger.

Bet the Fewers are kicking themselves over an opportunity missed.

All that GLORIOUS revenue going south of the river.

Local pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants getting that wedge, not to mention the money generated for Bristol Sport that gets reinvested.

And all because they couldn't see a much bigger picture.

On 15/10/2019 at 09:18, slartibartfast said:

To turn this debate on it's head........... just imagine if it was all standing now  (just seats in upper Lansdown and  upper Dolman)  it would probably hold nearer 50000 .

Would be great, albeit the metal girder holding the stand up is already sagging in the middle. 

On 14/10/2019 at 21:06, City Rocker said:

Think the 'official' attendance at the Liverpool game in 77 was actually over 38,500.

We paid in the East End. I was 11, my feet didn't touch the ground for several minutes after the second goal went in. 

That's how I remember it CR. Luckily, I was in the Dolman with the old man. :)

Archived