IGNORED

SIGNED: Rodri - Short-term contract until January with option to extend

Rocky

On 15/10/2019 at 12:24, Owl Visiting said:

Wow, never thought I'd read about or hear of this guy again. 

Everyone got really excited when we signed him on loan from Barcelona B, just because it was Barcelona basically, who were unbelievable at that point.

Huh, so thats what the 'b' stands for. Who knew?!

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

You're spot on. I was thinking of the French version of Cider, Cidre. And the famous film starring Charlton Athletic. Or was it Heston.

El Cidre? Or Rioja (Red) Rodri?

In my local village (Campillo) the cider is called Ladron de Manzanas………….. literally translates as "Apple thief".  

If that describes Rodri, I reckon he grew up in the Murcian equivalent of Charfield,     Just a-robbin' the fruit like the rest of us did.         ??

5 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

In my local village (Campillo) the cider is called Ladron de Manzanas………….. literally translates as "Apple thief".  

If that describes Rodri, I reckon he grew up in the Murcian equivalent of Charfield,     Just a-robbin' the fruit like the rest of us did.         ??

Scrumpy it is then...

10 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Is this the type of striker we need?

Is this the type of striker that scores 20+ Goals in the second tier?

Why are we comparing him to Wilbs who was not a massive success for us in The Championship?

Why were we prepared to recruit someone who is so different to our first choices in the summer or Afobe - are we really so desperate for someone before Jan 1st or prepared to change our style / patterns ?

So many questions, so little to go on?

I would have thought it was quite obvious? We are clearly one striker short after Afobe’s injury, every fan and obviously the manager was aware of that.

Johnson had taken a punt on this guy until January when we are able to actually look at more options. If he’s a success then happy days and if he isn’t we are in no worse a position than if we hadn’t signed anyone.

Unless you can point us to that magic striker who is unattached and Johnson has missed?

Well done in the circumstances to the club for getting this guy in. For those saying “why not just wait until January?” We have 15 league games between now and the Brentford game on New Years Day, plus the FA Cup game on the following weekend. 
Even if this guy can only be used in spells to rest the other strikers, he will be useful. Hopefully he will be more than just a body on the pitch though.

Some posters seemed to be primed to respond to us making a signing, in the negative. Surely not on OTIB? :whistle:

6 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

The introduction of Ladrón de Manzanas throughout Spain has been a revelation to my cider drinking friends (including @The turtle) who have long been jealous of the large variety of cervezas available to me! 

As for the nickname... I like it, and will henceforth be referring to Señor Ríos Lozano as "El Ladrón" :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well done in the circumstances to the club for getting this guy in. For those saying “why not just wait until January?” We have 15 league games between now and the Brentford game on New Years Day, plus the FA Cup game on the following weekend. 
Even if this guy can only be used in spells to rest the other strikers, he will be useful. Hopefully he will be more than just a body on the pitch though.

Some posters seemed to be primed to respond to us making a signing, in the negative. Surely not on OTIB? :whistle:

When we signed Afobe there were comments about him being shit, a desperate signing etc. He gets an ACL and the world ends. 

We clearly need a further option and if between Rodri, Fam and Weimann can get 15 plus goals between them between now and January it should keep us decently placed in the league, with Kalas and Nagy back as well.

The league is wide open this season in terms of the top six and the two automatic places.

I’m sure the club have striker targets in mind / place for January and for us it covers a gap in the squad. The player an opportunity to play at a good standard and maybe get himself a new club in January. Low risk for both player and club, potentially high reward for both 

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's very electric, always moving on the pitch. He likes to fight with CBs, receiving the ball down despite the pressure and he has a great sense of positioning for second chances. But he can be very inconsistent, at infuriating levels

He'll fit in perfectly!

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

The introduction of Ladrón de Manzanas throughout Spain has been a revelation to my cider drinking friends (including @The turtle) who have long been jealous of the large variety of cervezas available to me! 

As for the nickname... I like it, and will henceforth be referring to Señor Ríos Lozano as "El Ladrón" :ph34r:

He’ll be just one of the Ladrons .

Just for context, Afobe, Williams and Rowe were all written off by a lot of posters on here when they signed as not being good enough. Yet, they have been 3 of the better players in the team when they have come in.

Worst case scenario if this guy isn’t good enough is that Fam, Andi and Semenyo keep doing what they are doing and this guy leaves in January.

No pleasing some people on here, thinking there are players available on the free transfer market in October who can score 20+ goals is ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Just for context, Afobe, Williams and Rowe were all written off by a lot of posters on here when they signed as not being good enough. Yet, they have been 3 of the better players in the team when they have come in.

Worst case scenario if this guy isn’t good enough is that Fam, Andi and Semenyo keep doing what they are doing and this guy leaves in January.

No pleasing some people on here, thinking there are players available on the free transfer market in October who can score 20+ goals is ludicrous. 

Spot on! With some signings 'conventional wisdom' goes out the window. For comparisons you need look no further than Teemu Pukki. You just never know. Judge the player by his performances for City. Viva Espana I say.

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you told me that was a Stokie describing Afobe just before he signed for us I'd have believed you.

I'm trying to be optimistically open minded about Rodri. Not got the storngest record, roughly a 1 in 4.5 games ratio across his career. However, in a 352 with Weimann/Diedhiou next to him and Palmer behind he might well score a bit. If Weimann and Diedhiou can pull defenders around to create space that Rodri can run into then Palmer's through balls become a real threat again. We then have effective ways of attacking either down the flanks with crosses from Hunt/Eliasson/COD, or through the middle as described. this flexibility was kind of what we had earlier this season but have lost in recent weeks since Afobe went down.

1 in 4.5 might not sound brilliant but he's played quite a few games in La Liga including a goal against Real Madrid while on loan at Zaragoza, goals like that count more than scoring against Luton for instance in the Championship

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

1 in 4.5 might not sound brilliant but he's played quite a few games in La Liga including a goal against Real Madrid while on loan at Zaragoza, goals like that count more than scoring against Luton for instance in the Championship

Absolutely mate. I wasn't writing him off at all - I'm trying to be very open minded about this guy. He's definitely in shape, keen to play and I really really hope he does well.

Just listening to LJ talking about Rodri in the pre-match presser...a few interesting points:

• got a 10 day old baby, so uprooting at a difficult time (shows a bit of commitment / keenness imho....or perhaps he wants some sleep!)
  • previously scouted by City when at Cordoba
  • did a pre-season at Grenada, because was under contract, and only free, because they paid up his contract at the end of the Spanish window (so only been without a club since Sept - no like he was out of contract at end of last season)
  • not carrying any weight, looks sharp
  • first training session today

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
  • got a 10 day old baby, so uprooting at a difficult time (shows a bit of commitment / keenness imho....or perhaps he wants some sleep!)

Just on that - LJ said he'd had to get a passport for the baby sorted. Suggests he's brought the family with him.

Check his Instagram. He's ripped. Seems to have been spending most of the summer either in the gym or running up mountains in the Sierra Nevada.

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Spot on! With some signings 'conventional wisdom' goes out the window. For comparisons you need look no further than Teemu Pukki. You just never know. Judge the player by his performances for City. Vival Espanial I say   as they say in Bristol.

Archived