Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Rocky

SIGNED: Rodri - Short-term contract until January with option to extend

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Just for context, Afobe, Williams and Rowe were all written off by a lot of posters on here when they signed as not being good enough. Yet, they have been 3 of the better players in the team when they have come in.

Worst case scenario if this guy isn’t good enough is that Fam, Andi and Semenyo keep doing what they are doing and this guy leaves in January.

No pleasing some people on here, thinking there are players available on the free transfer market in October who can score 20+ goals is ludicrous. 

Spot on! With some signings 'conventional wisdom' goes out the window. For comparisons you need look no further than Teemu Pukki. You just never know. Judge the player by his performances for City. Viva Espana I say.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you told me that was a Stokie describing Afobe just before he signed for us I'd have believed you.

I'm trying to be optimistically open minded about Rodri. Not got the storngest record, roughly a 1 in 4.5 games ratio across his career. However, in a 352 with Weimann/Diedhiou next to him and Palmer behind he might well score a bit. If Weimann and Diedhiou can pull defenders around to create space that Rodri can run into then Palmer's through balls become a real threat again. We then have effective ways of attacking either down the flanks with crosses from Hunt/Eliasson/COD, or through the middle as described. this flexibility was kind of what we had earlier this season but have lost in recent weeks since Afobe went down.

1 in 4.5 might not sound brilliant but he's played quite a few games in La Liga including a goal against Real Madrid while on loan at Zaragoza, goals like that count more than scoring against Luton for instance in the Championship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

1 in 4.5 might not sound brilliant but he's played quite a few games in La Liga including a goal against Real Madrid while on loan at Zaragoza, goals like that count more than scoring against Luton for instance in the Championship

Absolutely mate. I wasn't writing him off at all - I'm trying to be very open minded about this guy. He's definitely in shape, keen to play and I really really hope he does well.

Just listening to LJ talking about Rodri in the pre-match presser...a few interesting points:

• got a 10 day old baby, so uprooting at a difficult time (shows a bit of commitment / keenness imho....or perhaps he wants some sleep!)
  • previously scouted by City when at Cordoba
  • did a pre-season at Grenada, because was under contract, and only free, because they paid up his contract at the end of the Spanish window (so only been without a club since Sept - no like he was out of contract at end of last season)
  • not carrying any weight, looks sharp
  • first training session today
  • Like 9

On 16/10/2019 at 18:16, Midred said:

Were some of those a touch off side? Knowing our luck the linesman at that end would be waving his flag all the time!

Scores the type of goals we are missing ....fingers crossed 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:
  • got a 10 day old baby, so uprooting at a difficult time (shows a bit of commitment / keenness imho....or perhaps he wants some sleep!)

Just on that - LJ said he'd had to get a passport for the baby sorted. Suggests he's brought the family with him.

Check his Instagram. He's ripped. Seems to have been spending most of the summer either in the gym or running up mountains in the Sierra Nevada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Spot on! With some signings 'conventional wisdom' goes out the window. For comparisons you need look no further than Teemu Pukki. You just never know. Judge the player by his performances for City. Vival Espanial I say   as they say in Bristol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just on that - LJ said he'd had to get a passport for the baby sorted. Suggests he's brought the family with him.

Check his Instagram. He's ripped. Seems to have been spending most of the summer either in the gym or running up mountains in the Sierra Nevada.

Yes. His insta looks pretty decent  with his training and family pics, impressive DNA if that makes sense, no charlie big time nonsense. I’m looking forward to seeing him play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

They'd more likely sign Rodney Trotter.

There would be uproar from their fans. Doesn't their board know he's one of our own? He lived and worked next to the ground.

• Haha 1

Welcome Rodri! Looking at records and attributes, Jonathas if possible might have been my first choice out of the two but some of the goals and the manner in which Rodsi has scored them look promising.

Pukki is an interesting comparison, but not necessarily fully accuyrate IMO. He'd played for as well as yes Celtic SPL not great League, also had played for Schalke and Sevilla- 2 clubs from good Leagues often but not so much lately for Schalke fairly high up in them so despite regular form, Pukki was always a safer bet I'd say- granted he smashed expectations- oh and Pukki just looked had scored 10 goals in 20 European games for Brondby over a few seasons so didn't realise that and of a higher pedigree than Rodri- still barring injuries it's relatively low risk and as we saw with Williams it may push us on- at the very least competition for places can only help.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

17 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Scores the type of goals we are missing ....fingers crossed 

As long as he only crosses his fingers and not his legs ala:

Edited by WhistleHappy

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Welcome Rodri! Looking at records and attributes, Jonathas if possible might have been my first choice out of the two but some of the goals and the manner in which Rodsi has scored them look promising.

Pukki is an interesting comparison, but not necessarily fully accuyrate IMO. He'd played for as well as yes Celtic SPL not great League, also had played for Schalke and Sevilla- 2 clubs from good Leagues often but not so much lately for Schalke fairly high up in them so despite regular form, Pukki was always a safer bet I'd say- granted he smashed expectations- oh and Pukki just looked had scored 10 goals in 20 European games for Brondby over a few seasons so didn't realise that and of a higher pedigree than Rodri- still barring injuries it's relatively low risk and as we saw with Williams it may push us on- at the very least competition for places can only help.

…..hmm,  erm,  yeah, I think.. 🤔

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit selective of just listing the clubs he was at.

He was at Sevilla as a teenager.

Jordan Wynter was at Arsenal as a teenager. Being at those clubs at such a young age doesn't  mean a huge amount- more of the players there will make it professionally than teenagers with us, but doesn't mean a huge deal in reality.

At Schalke he barely got a game, 37 appearances in a 3 year spell, albeit Klaas Jan Huntelaar had an extraordinary season for one of those.

At Celtic his time was described along the lines of "not a complete disaster".

If we had been signing Pukki last summer 99% wouldn't have heard of him and it would probably be seen as an uninspiring transfer.

• Hmmm 1