IGNORED

Away trip to Bristol

SW_NFFC

Forest fan here in peace. Me and some mates are travelling down (or up in my case) to Bristol for the weekend of the 22nd November for our game. Get there Friday night leave Sunday morning. Think we're at the Holiday Inn, according to Google Maps it's not exactly close to Ashton Gate but we could end up walking there anyway and taking in a few pubs. I doubt we'd have colours on or even show in any way we're Forest fans, in fact of our group of 6 only two of us are what you might describe as 'regular' Forest supporters and one doesn't even like football, it's more just a reason to meet up as Bristol is almost equidistant to us. 

Anyway, which pubs would you recommend? Also we'll obviously be taking in the sights and sounds of the city on Friday and Saturday night as well. Any recommendations on that front? I have never been to Bristol so have absolutely no idea about areas. Is is a spread out city which would need us to decide on an area and stick to it or like Nottingham where virtually everything nightlife-wise is in a square mile? For a bit of info we're all early thirties, some single some not and would probably draw the lines at dance or drum and bass clubs but everything else is fair game. 

Thanks in advance

any of the bars in central/harbourside on Friday night will be good.

would recommend some more traditional boozers on Saturday on the walk to the Gate. The Bear Hotwells, Nova Scotia, Rose of Denmark, Bristol Beer Factory, Hen and Chicken, Steam Crane (all a bit far apart and not in that order) any of those would be good.

For something a little different and very Bristol on your night out before the game I'd recommend The Old Duke, just off Queen Square. It's a cracking old pub, not huge, but a great crowd. They have upbeat modern jazz/blues type bands live on most Friday and Saturday nights. Great for a part of a night, maybe before you head to the more mass-appeal type places on Corn Street or Park Street.

http://www.theoldduke.co.uk/index.htm

4 hours ago, SW_NFFC said:

Forest fan here in peace. Me and some mates are travelling down (or up in my case) to Bristol for the weekend of the 22nd November for our game. Get there Friday night leave Sunday morning. Think we're at the Holiday Inn, according to Google Maps it's not exactly close to Ashton Gate but we could end up walking there anyway and taking in a few pubs. I doubt we'd have colours on or even show in any way we're Forest fans, in fact of our group of 6 only two of us are what you might describe as 'regular' Forest supporters and one doesn't even like football, it's more just a reason to meet up as Bristol is almost equidistant to us. 

Chose the right club, then !:P

4 hours ago, SW_NFFC said:

I doubt we'd have colours on or even show in any way we're Forest fans, in fact of our group of 6 only two of us are what you might describe as 'regular' Forest supporters and one doesn't even like football

Shame the gas aren't home that weekend too then, he'd have been in his element 

Try plenty of different ciders on the Apple, near the Old Duke at the end of King Street. 

All of the trendy bars are either in Corn Street (Walkabout, Slug and Lettuce, massive 'spoons Commercial Rooms)

or on the Waterfront (Pitcher & Piano, Bar BSB, Lloyds)

If you like to stuff your face you must try Za Za Bazaar, all you can eat world food buffet style restaurant, seats over 1,000.

Avoid Ashton Gate pubs on matchday, all home fans only.

Hope you’ll have a great weekend apart from the football! For drinking on a evening I’d recommend King Street, something for everyone; craft beer, proper pubs, a cider boat, a burger boat, he’ll even the Bristol old box foyer is ok for a pint. There’s a curry house and an old school pizzeria and a more chilled vibe to the waterfront if that’s what you’re after. Match day pubs, of dry I’d recommend the orchard or the Nova Scotia, if wet the tobacco factory it the spotted cow. 

You could do a cider themed pub crawl,start in the Long Bar in old market(if you dare),on to the Apple boat on Welsh Back,on to the Apple in Bedminster (if you dare),then on to the Stable in Wapping Wharf,then on to the Orchard near the SS Great Britain,ending up in the Nova Scotia for a pint of Thatchers,you might not see much of the game though,it’ll all be a bit blurry.

Agree with most of the above. King St is a great night. Plenty of bars and food including The Apple cider boat and Three Brothers burger boat at the end of King St on Welsh Back. Most of the stuff that way is smaller independent businesses. 

If you are more mainstream then the Harbourside/waterfront is always good for a night including all the usual suspects.

Match day, there are 2 main routes to the ground which can be pub crawls. First:

Pitcher and Piano (breakfast from 10am

Slug and Lettuce

Grain Barge

Mardyke

Pump House

Nova Scotia, and then a 20 minute walk to the ground.

Other route through Bedminster will take you past a lot of Home fan only pubs but the ones below I've definitely seen away fans in.

Wild Beer Company

Coronation (Dean lane)

Steam Crane

North St Standard

Tobacco Factory

Bristol Beer Factory

Sunday, if you are still here for a roast then the Coronation on Dean Lane, or Number One Harbourside are both cracking.

Enjoy your weekend here.

If, before the match on Saturday lunch time, you fancy a small traditional pub that sells good beer  try the Merchants Arms on Hotwells Road.  Maybe a bit far to walk from your hotel, so get a taxi. Easy walk from there to the ground. There are no problems with sensible away fans there. (Often get a few away fans) 

https://m.facebook.com/MerchantsArmsPubHotwells/?locale2=en_GB#!/MerchantsArmsPubHotwells/reviews

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If, before the match on Saturday lunch time, you fancy a small traditional pub that sells good beer  try the Merchants Arms on Hotwells Road.  Maybe a bit far to walk from your hotel, so get a taxi. Easy walk from there to the ground. There are no problems with sensible away fans there. (Often get a few away fans) 

https://m.facebook.com/MerchantsArmsPubHotwells/?locale2=en_GB#!/MerchantsArmsPubHotwells/reviews

Good boozer.

46 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

My Grandad could often be found in the Merchant’s Arms on a match day . 

:blush:

Spoilt for choice but you could do worse than start off at Wapping Wharf where the Wild Beer brewery has a nice bar and there are lots of great eating places in the same area - not sure what time they stop serving food?, best to Google ‘’Wapping Wharf Bristol’ for detailed info. 

They do have a ‘silent disco’ on an evening which is really funny to watch from the sidelines!

From there you could make your way across the bridge into Prince St and onto the endless bars in King St of which I think the Beer Emporium is the best choice of beers. Great atmosphere just down the road by the Old Duke (previously mentioned) where everyone just sits outside enjoying the vibe.  

7 hours ago, SW_NFFC said:

Anyway, which pubs would you recommend? Also we'll obviously be taking in the sights and sounds of the city on Friday and Saturday night as well. Any recommendations on that front? I have never been to Bristol so have absolutely no idea about areas. Is is a spread out city which would need us to decide on an area and stick to it or like Nottingham where virtually everything nightlife-wise is in a square mile? For a bit of info we're all early thirties, some single some not and would probably draw the lines at dance or drum and bass clubs but everything else is fair game. 

Thanks in advance

Given your location at the Holiday Inn I'd go and check out Stokes Croft first. A fiercely independent neighbourhood with lots of cool bars and pubs. Also home of the Bristol graffiti scene with orginal Banksys etc on display. It's edgy but in a good way, you're unlikely to get into trouble. Some good places include The Canteen, Pipe and Slippers, The Full Moon, No.51, The Love Inn and late night venue Bootlegger. Loads of good places to eat too.

If I was showcasing Bristol to someone then I'd definitely take them to King Street. You could easily spend an entire evening here. The legendary Old Duke jazz pub has already been mentioned. You've also got the Beer Emporium (underground cellar bar), King William, Small Bar, Kongs, King St Brewhouse...even the Old Vic theatre has an amazing setting for a pint, just pop in and take a seat. King St is big on craft beer/ales if that's your thing.

The centre, Park St and the Waterfront are a bit more mainstream shall we say and so there's plenty of big generic bars and pubs. There are some good ones though like Under the Stars (bar on a boat), No.1 Harbourside, Left Handed Giant, The Rummer, and my choice for a late night haunt in the centre would be Mr Wolfs open until 4am Fri and Sat.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

My Grandad could often be found in the Merchant’s Arms on a match day . 

:blush:

If it was good enough for a senior  Isewater then it should be good enough for anybody 

1 hour ago, swampy said:

"Home fan only pubs"

That is a sad indictment of football ...  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Why the f**k do you still post on here when you clearly hate modern football and are much happier feeling superior to us all while watching rugby and non-league football?

56 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Why the **** do you still post on here when you clearly hate modern football and are much happier feeling superior to us all while watching rugby and non-league football?

It's every single bloody time he posts too.

It's almost like he's being held here against his will, forming a strange psychological bond with his City supporting enemies. Let's call it Stockwood Syndrome.

5 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

You could do a cider themed pub crawl,start in the Long Bar in old market(if you dare),on to the Apple boat on Welsh Back,on to the Apple in Bedminster (if you dare),then on to the Stable in Wapping Wharf,then on to the Orchard near the SS Great Britain,ending up in the Nova Scotia for a pint of Thatchers,you might not see much of the game though,it’ll all be a bit blurry.

They haven't got a bouncer on the door, but they do have a dentist checking teeth, and if you have more than 3 teeth then you won't get in. If you do manage to get in, and don't get stuck to the floor, then wipe your feet on the way out.

Another pub which is good is called Horts which isn't too far away from the Crown Court (if you get nicked at least you'll know where it is)

Safe trip and we'll look forward to taking the 3 points :laugh: even though you're a tough team to beat.

3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Why the **** do you still post on here when you clearly hate modern football and are much happier feeling superior to us all while watching rugby and non-league football?

I think he’s that Redeye geezer that used to accuse all football fans of being alcoholics.

20 hours ago, SW_NFFC said:

Thanks in advance

For food, if you are out on the drink but yet want a sit down meal I'd recommend All In One- mix of UK and Greek/Cypriot cuisine, is a bar that does sit down meals and open until 1.30am, 2am something like that or last time I went, Bombay Boulevard- which is down a bit of a side street named Denmark Street, does quite a wide range of curries, especially vegetarian ones and is open until 2am, 3am on weekends- Cobra and Kingfisher too- key selling point of those 2 is their opening times for sit down meals. Though in the case of the latter it says 11pm on google hours but like I say last time I went it was more like 2 or 3am- those Google hours not so reliable!

Archived