IGNORED

Away trip to Bristol

SW_NFFC

Thanks for all the replies to this! 

I think I've put together a reasonable pub crawl based on your comments and google maps...

Walk from hotel to Bear Hot Wells/Rose of Denmark for one
Merchants arms
Pump House (although the pictures suggest it's more of a fancy restaurant than a pub?)
Nova Scotia
Bristol Beer Factory

Then onto Ashton Gate. 

Either that or we'll just stay in the pub which will be a lot more exciting than our football has been recently...

22 minutes ago, SW_NFFC said:

I think I've put together a reasonable pub crawl based on your comments and google maps...

Merchants arms
Pump House (although the pictures suggest it's more of a fancy restaurant than a pub?)
Nova Scotia
Bristol Beer Factory

Then onto Ashton Gate. 

Either that or we'll just stay in the pub which will be a lot more exciting than our football has been recently...

You really should try The Long Bar in Old Market and tha Apple Tree in Bedminster,just to see how the other half lives,and I don’t mean the rich half.

41 minutes ago, SW_NFFC said:

Merchants arms
Pump House (although the pictures suggest it's more of a fancy restaurant than a pub?)  It is a "gastro pub", it does have a lot of gins though, if that is your thing
Nova Scotia
Bristol Beer Factory

Then onto Ashton Gate. 

On 15/10/2019 at 11:50, SW_NFFC said:

Forest fan here in peace. Me and some mates are travelling down (or up in my case) to Bristol for the weekend of the 22nd November for our game. Get there Friday night leave Sunday morning. Think we're at the Holiday Inn, according to Google Maps it's not exactly close to Ashton Gate but we could end up walking there anyway and taking in a few pubs. I doubt we'd have colours on or even show in any way we're Forest fans, in fact of our group of 6 only two of us are what you might describe as 'regular' Forest supporters and one doesn't even like football, it's more just a reason to meet up as Bristol is almost equidistant to us. 

Anyway, which pubs would you recommend? Also we'll obviously be taking in the sights and sounds of the city on Friday and Saturday night as well. Any recommendations on that front? I have never been to Bristol so have absolutely no idea about areas. Is is a spread out city which would need us to decide on an area and stick to it or like Nottingham where virtually everything nightlife-wise is in a square mile? For a bit of info we're all early thirties, some single some not and would probably draw the lines at dance or drum and bass clubs but everything else is fair game. 

Thanks in advance

This is more for the night before or after the game (as other suggestions are great for pre game) but I’d head over to Left Handed Giant for a few beers by the river in a very unique setting, they brew all the beer on site: http://www.lhgbrewpub.com/

Then take a 5 min walk over to King Street where you can take in The Apple for some Cider:

Then head down King Street to Kongs for some old school arcade action with more beers!

Then if you want to get even more trendy, there are a couple of secret bars off the centre (The Milk Thistle is nice) but I quite like Red Light (which is near the bottom of park street) where you have to ring the pay phone in the door way and a secret door in the phone booth opens to let you In!  https://www.google.com/search?q=red%20light%20bristol&tbm=

After that you are on your own!  Enjoy

On 15/10/2019 at 19:37, elhombrecito said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Why the **** do you still post on here when you clearly hate modern football and are much happier feeling superior to us all while watching rugby and non-league football?

More to the point, why is he even allowed to post here. I get the fact you don't want to ban people for the odd post but this idiot is at it every single post. 

On 15/10/2019 at 19:37, elhombrecito said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Why the **** do you still post on here when you clearly hate modern football and are much happier feeling superior to us all while watching rugby and non-league football?

He wont answer, I am still awaiting his answer to my queries regarding the hypocrisy and contradiction in previous posts. I am beginning to think he is a "bot". 

It depends what you drink, but if you're interested in real ale or ciders then it had to be King St on the Friday night. William Ale House, Naval Volunteer, Bristol Beer Emprium and the Old Duke are all great pubs. If you want to go a little further, by coming out of the Old Duke turn left and left again cross Bristol Bridge and turn right onto Victoria St. Take a slight right off Victoria St and before the Fleece music venue you will see a pub called the Seven Stars, one of the best Real ale pubs in Bristol. In the same area on the other side of Victoria St are the Shakespeare and King's Head, and around the corner from the latter tucked into a corner is the wonderful Cornubia. That lot should keep you busy. 

New Bristol Brewery is a few minutes walk from your hotel - Wilson Street - opens Friday nights from 5 til 9

Like Left Handed Giant as suggested above, all brewed on site and sold in their little bar

Great place and it’s my cousin and his wife’s business ?

3 hours ago, SW_NFFC said:

Merchants arms
Nova Scotia
Bristol Beer Factory

Then onto Ashton Gate. 

Pump House has always been a bit more food orientated. It's at the other end of the spectrum from the Bear or Merchants - if the weather is good then a pint out the front on the water is beaut, otherwise unless you want lunch you're likely best skipping it out in my opinion.

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It depends what you drink, but if you're interested in real ale or ciders then it had to be King St on the Friday night. William Ale House, Naval Volunteer, Bristol Beer Emprium and the Old Duke are all great pubs. If you want to go a little further, by coming out of the Old Duke turn left and left again cross Bristol Bridge and turn right onto Victoria St. Take a slight right off Victoria St and before the Fleece music venue you will see a pub called the Seven Stars, one of the best Real ale pubs in Bristol. In the same area on the other side of Victoria St are the Shakespeare and King's Head, and around the corner from the latter tucked into a corner is the wonderful Cornubia. That lot should keep you busy. 

Good luck finding The Cornubia.I have lived in Bristol all my life and I still only find it if I am lucky!

On 15/10/2019 at 16:22, myol'man said:

Try plenty of different ciders on the Apple, near the Old Duke at the end of King Street. 

All of the trendy bars are either in Corn Street (Walkabout, Slug and Lettuce, massive 'spoons Commercial Rooms)

or on the Waterfront (Pitcher & Piano, Bar BSB, Lloyds)

If you like to stuff your face you must try Za Za Bazaar, all you can eat world food buffet style restaurant, seats over 1,000.

Avoid Ashton Gate pubs on matchday, all home fans only.

Summed up pretty good sid

13 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Good luck finding The Cornubia.I have lived in Bristol all my life and I still only find it if I am lucky!

My office backs onto it, never knew it was there until then!  If you walk over the S shape castle bridge (away from Castle Park), go past the Left Hand Giant and straight on you will walk past the Cornubia, easy peasy!

E9D3ECCD-FCB5-40E3-8DDF-1C22AD95DAD6.jpeg

Bristol is a terrific City and as others have said lots of pubs/clubs to try out.

Other away fans who have commented on here all seem to like the Mardyke pub on Hotwells Rd - pretty close to AG.  It’s a lively place with very reasonably price beer and cider. Well worth a visit.

If any of you like a curry there are two very decent Indian restaurants also in Hotwells Rd. the Raj Bari and just a short walk further down the Ramassay - both excellent eating places, Highly recommended!

@SW_NFFC - you should be on your travels to various recommended pubs by now. If, by any chance, you have time to give everyone an update on your adventures please do. Perhaps you could review each pub in the same way that players are after a match. Good luck today. By that I mean I hope City only score 5 goals in an exciting match 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:20, Tinmans Love Child said:

This is more for the night before or after the game (as other suggestions are great for pre game) but I’d head over to Left Handed Giant for a few beers by the river in a very unique setting, they brew all the beer on site: http://www.lhgbrewpub.com/

Then take a 5 min walk over to King Street where you can take in The Apple for some Cider:

Then head down King Street to Kongs for some old school arcade action with more beers!

Then if you want to get even more trendy, there are a couple of secret bars off the centre (The Milk Thistle is nice) but I quite like Red Light (which is near the bottom of park street) where you have to ring the pay phone in the door way and a secret door in the phone booth opens to let you In!  https://www.google.com/search?q=red%20light%20bristol&tbm=

After that you are on your own!  Enjoy

Now not so secret!

On 16/10/2019 at 19:57, Lanterne Rouge said:

Whatever else you do, do not miss the chance of sampling a Clark`s pie from the van you will walk past on your way to the ground.

If you do, let us know what you think is in it - none of us have any idea!

Yeah, she must've been a big old bird but there cant be much left of old granny Clark after all this time, get ypur pie now while stocks last. ?

Archived