IGNORED

Bulgaria Vs England and the subsequent fallout

Super

1 hour ago, Super said:

Staggering hearing the Bulgarian manager. More of a disgrace than the fans. What a complete idiot.

Absolutely. A chance to make a stand and do something positive, yet he denies everything and claims England supporters were worse!

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It sure would have sent a powerful message. 

Uefa would have looked like proper idiots if they didn't give us the victory.

Now we have our players acting like they are heroes cos they overcame the racism and won heavily. I'm sorry but England should be winning games like that heavily and shouldn't need to be subjected to racism to encourage them to perform. 

I do wonder if we would have won the other night would they have walked off tonight? I think the answer is yes.

What tonight showed me is that they care more about winning a game of football than taking a stand against racism. 

Had England of walked off the pitch and refused to play that would have sent shockwaves throughout the football world. Sorry but a few minutes break in play doesn't quite have that same effect.

It was clear the Racism continued in the 2nd half, I don't buy the arguement that as it wasn't as much as the 1st half it's ok.

If the officials or Uefa were not going to take action than our players should have. I'm sorry but they come away with very little dignity as they absolutely bottled it when they had the opportunity to make a stand. Bottled it big time. 

In the build up to this game all we heard about was our players had taken the decision to walk off, rather than talking about football. Then when it come to it then didn't do as they said they would and instead choose to let the football do the talking. 

Instead they choose to punish Bulgaria by beating them 6-0, which England should be doing anyways.

By playing on all it did was to give these people the opportunity to continue with their behaviour, judging by all the laughing etc the people were clearly enjoying it so deny them the opportunity to do it.

Uefa need to get a grip on this issue, handing out poxy fines and partial stadium closures is not good enough. 

If behaviour like this happens then domestic clubs and international clubs should be banned from competing in Uefa competitions, that's how you deal with it. If it happened in this country then we would already have been throw out and due to our laws many fans would be having their doors kicked in in the morning. Unless other countries adopt them same laws and enforce them then they should not be allowed to compete either. 

Uefa have a real chance of making a huge social change, not just in football stadiums but beyond that and they should be taking the opportunity to make that positive change. Some flimsy banners, written in English, isn't going to force that social change.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/15/bulgaria-goalkeeper-plamen-iliev-praises-home-fans-and-says-england-players-overreacted-euro-2020

Bulgaria goalkeeper praises home fans and says England players 'overreacted'

The Bulgaria goalkeeper Plamen Iliev has said the home fans “behaved well” during the Euro 2020 qualifier against England at the Vasil Levski Stadium on Monday night, suggesting that Gareth Southgate’s players “overreacted a bit”.

The match, which England won 6-0, was twice halted for racist chanting but the Ludogorets goalkeeper said he had not heard anything, echoing comments made by his manager, Krasimir Balakov.

“If I am honest, I believe they [the fans] behaved well today,” Iliev said. “There wasn’t any abuse [as far as I could hear] and I think they [the England players] overreacted a bit. The public was on a good level – I didn’t hear any bad language used towards their or our players.”

Balakov, who had suggested before the game that England had a bigger problem with racism than Bulgaria, said after the defeat: “I personally did not hear the chanting. I saw the referee stopped the game but I also have to say the behaviour was also not only on behalf of the Bulgarian fans but also the English fans, who were whistling and shouting during the Bulgarian national anthem. During the second half they used words against our fans which I find unacceptable.”

The comments by Iliev and Balakov contrasted heavily with those of the captain Ivelin Popov, who had tried to calm things during the game by speaking to some of the fans. “First, I tried to talk with the stewards who were supposed to control the situation,” the Rostov midfielder said. “We’re all suffering from that kind of behaviour. Do you think a foreign player would like to come and play in Bulgaria after what happened tonight? Racism is a world problem that needs to be eradicated. We’re all people regardless of the skin colour.”

The racist chanting dominated the headlines in Bulgaria on Tuesday morning. “There’s no light! It’s been buried beneath six goals and tons of shame,” read the headline of the sports website Gong.bg, with the accompanying piece saying: “Bulgarian football and the country as a whole suffered one of the most shameful nights in its entire history – not only was the national team beaten 6-0 by England but the game was twice stopped for racist chants. A handful of fans stained not only Bulgarian football but Bulgaria as a country after racially abusing the England internationals.”

Another sports website, Sportal.bg, went with “Such a shame! A historic humiliation”, while one of the most famous TV pundits in Bulgaria, Borislav Borisov, said: “Every country’s national team is an institution but on Monday night our national team was destroyed. With the way England reacted to the racial abuse they wanted to make a statement – they wanted to stand up against racism and they did it.”

12 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/15/bulgaria-goalkeeper-plamen-iliev-praises-home-fans-and-says-england-players-overreacted-euro-2020

Bulgaria goalkeeper praises home fans and says England players 'overreacted'

The Bulgaria goalkeeper Plamen Iliev has said the home fans “behaved well” during the Euro 2020 qualifier against England at the Vasil Levski Stadium on Monday night, suggesting that Gareth Southgate’s players “overreacted a bit”.

The match, which England won 6-0, was twice halted for racist chanting but the Ludogorets goalkeeper said he had not heard anything, echoing comments made by his manager, Krasimir Balakov.

“If I am honest, I believe they [the fans] behaved well today,” Iliev said. “There wasn’t any abuse [as far as I could hear] and I think they [the England players] overreacted a bit. The public was on a good level – I didn’t hear any bad language used towards their or our players.”

Balakov, who had suggested before the game that England had a bigger problem with racism than Bulgaria, said after the defeat: “I personally did not hear the chanting. I saw the referee stopped the game but I also have to say the behaviour was also not only on behalf of the Bulgarian fans but also the English fans, who were whistling and shouting during the Bulgarian national anthem. During the second half they used words against our fans which I find unacceptable.”

The comments by Iliev and Balakov contrasted heavily with those of the captain Ivelin Popov, who had tried to calm things during the game by speaking to some of the fans. “First, I tried to talk with the stewards who were supposed to control the situation,” the Rostov midfielder said. “We’re all suffering from that kind of behaviour. Do you think a foreign player would like to come and play in Bulgaria after what happened tonight? Racism is a world problem that needs to be eradicated. We’re all people regardless of the skin colour.”

The racist chanting dominated the headlines in Bulgaria on Tuesday morning. “There’s no light! It’s been buried beneath six goals and tons of shame,” read the headline of the sports website Gong.bg, with the accompanying piece saying: “Bulgarian football and the country as a whole suffered one of the most shameful nights in its entire history – not only was the national team beaten 6-0 by England but the game was twice stopped for racist chants. A handful of fans stained not only Bulgarian football but Bulgaria as a country after racially abusing the England internationals.”

Another sports website, Sportal.bg, went with “Such a shame! A historic humiliation”, while one of the most famous TV pundits in Bulgaria, Borislav Borisov, said: “Every country’s national team is an institution but on Monday night our national team was destroyed. With the way England reacted to the racial abuse they wanted to make a statement – they wanted to stand up against racism and they did it.”

Shall we have a game of guess who is in the pocket of the Bulgarian Mafia and who isn’t?

Watching last night's match am I right in thinking that all Uefa officials present at the match together with the match officials are absolved of any responsibity to initiate or enforce the protocol against racism? I can't believe that they wern't aware until Southgate pointed this out to the 4th official!

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, Reading at home Jan 2017 - 2-0 up after 50 odd minutes, 2-1 up with around 2 mins to go - and yep, we lost 2-3 ... Reading really did look like they were going to score with every attack in the late part of the 2nd half - wave after wave - 2-0 up at home and we lost ...

Myself and my wife were there, came over for the game and couldn't believe it!

I agree the chants are racist but I don't think the callers in general are. It's more of a cry out in dispair over poor living conditions, no job, no social security and zero future. They feel left behind by their European brothers. In come the British primadonnas with their polished feathers riding on a giant prawn sandwich. Of course they look for what in their world is their weakest point and have a go. They are not stupid. You are.

27 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I agree the chants are racist but I don't think the callers in general are. It's more of a cry out in dispair over poor living conditions, no job, no social security and zero future. They feel left behind by their European brothers. In come the British primadonnas with their polished feathers riding on a giant prawn sandwich. Of course they look for what in their world is their weakest point and have a go. They are not stupid. You are.

So, making racist comments is a cry for help?  That’s a new one on me.

27 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Well, that's one way of looking at it.?

37 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I said something similar last night in that when you don’t really have a stake in society or feel you don’t have anything worth losing, it’s all to easy to slip.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I really dont get these idiots who boo a national anthem. Bizarre behaviour.

True, but not illegal 

As an old Kodjia I watch talking picture on TV. Programmes made in the 50s and 60s need an apology for the customs and attitudes of the times. Regretfully some Countries have not caught up with 21st Century attitudes. No excuses they need. Educating. FIFA and governments need to take a lead in achieving this. Right wing politics does not help.

16 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

As an old Kodjia I watch talking picture on TV. Programmes made in the 50s and 60s need an apology for the customs and attitudes of the times. Regretfully some Countries have not caught up with 21st Century attitudes. No excuses they need. Educating. FIFA and governments need to take a lead in achieving this. Right wing politics does not help.

Either a MOD inspired autocorrect or a wonderful use of Bristol City slang.

I do not condone racism let me make that clear but lets not pretend there hasn't been racism in the prem in this calendar year and although racism is much better than it used to be there are still fair few general(not sports fans) people who are very racist and proud of it too! 

I agree something should be done but so it should be against any other international football game this is nothing new , just like every football tournement England will have the most violent drunk fans! 

Ok guys, as Bulgarian I'm ashamed and disgusted of what happened yesterday. Just want to say those morons don't represent the whole country. I fear that was well plotted, probably political interests and/or change in the power of the FA. Whatever the reason I wish the country will be banned from international competitions for good.

And yes - our team is p**s poor with a clown as head coach and muppets on the pitch. The corruption is so deep in the FA for years and finally yesterday the Head office was raided by special forces for that such reason. Just giving you a glimpse of what is going on in bulgarian football and the country as a whole. Sad times, sometimes I wish I was born somewhere else...

On 14/10/2019 at 20:51, Super said:

Some goal that.

On 14/10/2019 at 20:52, Northern Red said:

Pick that f****r out

On 14/10/2019 at 20:52, Jerseybean said:

Rashford, pick that out! 

On 14/10/2019 at 20:56, Numero Uno said:

Good hard strike but I would be looking for a National League South keeper to be stopping that.

It was, indeed, an excellent goal, and I thought you might appreciate this description, courtesy of Barney Ronay (Guardian).

Rashford’s goal was stunning, made by a pirouette that sent Georgi Pashov over the advertisement hoarding, out of the stadium, along the dual carriageway, down on to metro line 2 and the full five stops to the Sofia museum of arts, all the while thinking to himself, vaguely, that there was something he was supposed to be doing. 

13 hours ago, phantom said:

What amazes me about these charges brought against us, you can't legislate for people interrupting a national anthem but to not have enough stewards looking within our supporters is just ridiculous 

Reckon there's probably but I certainly haven't read the regs, some sort of stipulation about x fans per steward- we don't really have away stewards here but with UEFA, suppose different languages in all the countries make it necessary.

The relevant regs to charges in full, from the same thread.

EG7kBQRWoAQqvH8.png

EG7pvRVWsAMlKAJ.png

Courtesy of Martyn Ziegler.

Archived