IGNORED

Bulgaria Vs England and the subsequent fallout

Super

• Admin
9 hours ago, bcfcbulgaria said:

Ok guys, as Bulgarian I'm ashamed and disgusted of what happened yesterday. Just want to say those morons don't represent the whole country. I fear that was well plotted, probably political interests and/or change in the power of the FA. Whatever the reason I wish the country will be banned from international competitions for good.

And yes - our team is p**s poor with a clown as head coach and muppets on the pitch. The corruption is so deep in the FA for years and finally yesterday the Head office was raided by special forces for that such reason. Just giving you a glimpse of what is going on in bulgarian football and the country as a whole. Sad times, sometimes I wish I was born somewhere else...

Have to agree

The way they all left en masse clearly indicated that someone was in control of that group

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reckon there's probably but I certainly haven't read the regs, some sort of stipulation about x fans per steward- we don't really have away stewards here but with UEFA, suppose different languages in all the countries make it necessary.

The relevant regs to charges in full, from the same thread.

EG7kBQRWoAQqvH8.png

EG7pvRVWsAMlKAJ.png

Courtesy of Martyn Ziegler.

That's what I meant, England travel all over the world with these rules in place. I find it amazing that "we" could get this wrong

It almost feels like UEFA had to find punishment to dish our way, for fear of upsetting the Bulgarian FA too much

10 hours ago, bcfcbulgaria said:

Ok guys, as Bulgarian I'm ashamed and disgusted of what happened yesterday. Just want to say those morons don't represent the whole country. I fear that was well plotted, probably political interests and/or change in the power of the FA. Whatever the reason I wish the country will be banned from international competitions for good.

And yes - our team is p**s poor with a clown as head coach and muppets on the pitch. The corruption is so deep in the FA for years and finally yesterday the Head office was raided by special forces for that such reason. Just giving you a glimpse of what is going on in bulgarian football and the country as a whole. Sad times, sometimes I wish I was born somewhere else...

Thanks for posting.

I have Bulgarian friends and know that the idiots we saw on Monday night are not representative of the country as a whole.

As for Bulgarian football, it's sad to see it at so low an ebb after the glory days of Stoichkov et al...

• Admin

Is it just me or are these four chaps being hung out to dry and made scapegoats?

There were plenty of clear as day pictures of a much larger group than this being involved. . . 

The men were arrested by police after England players were targeted by vile racist abuse

Four Bulgarian football fans suspected of subjecting black England players to racist abuse have been detained following police raids.

England's 6-0 Euro 2020 qualifier win over Bulgaria in Sofia was stopped twice in the first half following racist chanting by home supporters.

"Work is still ongoing to identify others," a statement from Bulgaria's Ministry of the Interior said.

Bulgaria's football chief Borislav Mikhailov resigned on Tuesday.

Bulgaria manager Krasimir Balakov said after the game he "didn't hear" any chanting, having previously accused England of having a bigger racism problem.

But Balakov has since posted a statement on Facebook, acknowledging the incidents on Monday and apologising to "English footballers and to all those who felt offended".

"I condemn all forms of racism as an unacceptable behaviour that contradicts normal human relations," he added.

"I think that this form of prejudice should be buried deep in our past, and no-one should ever be subjected to it."

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thanks for posting.

I have Bulgarian friends and know that the idiots we saw on Monday night are not representative of the country as a whole.

As for Bulgarian football, it's sad to see it at so low an ebb after the glory days of Stoichkov et al...

I just saw a video of him in tears when being asked about it. Like you said its not the country as a whole.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Have to agree

The way they all left en masse clearly indicated that someone was in control of that group

It was reported they are a well known Neo - Nazi organisation, which is apparently banned in Bulgaria, so why were they allowed into the ground and not arrested by the Police?

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Actually, they thought he was a French spy!

I am sometimes reminded of this incident by friends and colleagues....

My bad,  yes of course it was during the Napoleonic war. Question is, how was the monkey able to swim the Channel and was it in record time?

4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

My bad,  yes of course it was during the Napoleonic war. Question is, how was the monkey able to swim the Channel and was it in record time?

You are joking, of course, but the monkey was found following a shipwreck and was actually the ship's mascot.

According to the story, the monkey was dressed up in military uniform and as, back in those days, nobody had ever seen a monkey - or, quite likely, a Frenchman - they assumed he was a spy and hanged the poor animal.

17 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

A couple of lads from Weston that post on here went will be good to hear what they have to say about it all 

unless they already have and I missed it 

Hello mate, yes we went and generally had a good trip (Prague included other than the game obviously!). I couldn’t hear any of the racist chanting but it after a while it was clear it was going on. The ground is a completely open bowl with a running track around so sound didn’t carry well at all in there. At the first pause i think it took a minute for people to work out what was going on - we actually found out from social media etc.

As well as being proud of how the team and management handled the situation,I was also proud of the england fans and how they made a point of supporting Sterling etc and singing songs showing disgust for the racism. It felt like it really unified the the fans, players and staff.

what happens to Bulgaria next is a tricky one. I struggle with the thought of punishing the majority of their fans with a ban from a tournament for the actions of relatively few horrible individuals. England fans (and football fans in general) know more than anyone else what it’s like to be vilified for the actions of a handful of idiots.

On another note, Still being in a football ground at 12.45am was a first for me!

5 minutes ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

Hello mate, yes we went and generally had a good trip (Prague included other than the game obviously!). I couldn’t hear any of the racist chanting but it after a while it was clear it was going on. The ground is a completely open bowl with a running track around so sound didn’t carry well at all in there. At the first pause i think it took a minute for people to work out what was going on - we actually found out from social media etc.

As well as being proud of how the team and management handled the situation,I was also proud of the england fans and how they made a point of supporting Sterling etc and singing songs showing disgust for the racism. It felt like it really unified the the fans, players and staff.

what happens to Bulgaria next is a tricky one. I struggle with the thought of punishing the majority of their fans with a ban from a tournament for the actions of relatively few horrible individuals. England fans (and football fans in general) know more than anyone else what it’s like to be vilified for the actions of a handful of idiots.

On another note, Still being in a football ground at 12.45am was a first for me!

Didn't seem to matter in the 80s when UEFA banned all English clubs from European football.

I appreciate the circumstances were completely different following Heysel but nevertheless it was a blanket ban for all.

• Admin
On 14/10/2019 at 16:55, phantom said:

Sad news coming from Sofia that a 32 year old Englishman has died 

There is an online fundraiser now assisting the family with money to repatriate the guys body back to the UK

https://www.gofundme.com/f/get-spray-back-home?teamInvite=NjjgPak85KOmH37Zmhy8siXbZQ7tXoi6XpU4HAy7I5cVxvF1tOblbTlAhlTlN9r4

I was at the games in Prague and Sofia. I echo the comments above from Zookeeper WSM.

I couldn't discern any racist chanting during the game on Monday night, partly as the acoustics in the stadium were awful, and partly as it seemed to be a group of 50-100 individuals doing it, who were at the other end of the stadium from us.

Some of the stories I've read in the press and on social media would make you think the majority of the stadium were doing it and that Bulgaria is an institutionally racist place. From my experience over the long weekend and from my previous trip there for England's last game in Sofia in 2011, neither is true. On the whole, the people were very friendly, welcoming hosts.

None of the above is to condone in any way what happened. It was vile and the individuals responsible should be punished heavily.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FIFA are now getting involved- but not for the reasons you might think.

Which is ironic becuase in 2013 Sepp Blatter and I didn't realise this, called for points deductions for racism- did **** all about it though.

Clearly government intervention. They were very vocal about cutting funding etc 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Set himself up for a massive fall when he said he never heard anything

I wonder how much pressure was put on him to come out and make his subsequent apology?

Apparently he's resigned at the teams performance, not any of the deeply offensive racist abuse that took place :facepalm:

• Admin

Bulgaria have been ordered to play two matches behind closed doors and fined 75,000 euros (£65,000) for their fans' racist abuse of England players in a Euro 2020 qualifier in Sofia.

The Three Lions' 6-0 win on 15 October was stopped twice and could have been abandoned, but England played on.

Bulgaria already had a partial stadium closure for that match because of previous racist behaviour.

The closure for the second game of this punishment is suspended for two years.

Aleksander Ceferin, the president of European football's governing body Uefa, said following the match against England that the "football family and governments" needed to "wage war on the racists".

The Bulgarian fans' behaviour included Nazi salutes and monkey chants.

After the game, both the president of the Bulgaria Football Union (BFU), Borislav Mihaylov, and Bulgaria manager Krasimir Balakov resigned.

Authorities in Bulgaria have so far identified 16 suspects and made 12 arrests after the England game.

Four supporters received fines and two-year bans, with others remaining under investigation.

In 2015, Croatia were docked a point from their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign after fans marked a swastika on their pitch for a game against Italy, which was behind closed doors.

Archived