IGNORED

Bulgaria Vs England and the subsequent fallout

Super

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Obviously not very familiar with what the Nazis thought of Slavs. And what would have happened to their forefathers, had the Nazis won the war.

Sums up these morons. The nazis thought the Slavs were sub human and wanted to wipe them off the planet. Wonder what their grandads think of it . Unbelievable 

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Obviously not very familiar with what the Nazis thought of Slavs. And what would have happened to their forefathers, had the Nazis won the war.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Might be my memory, but did we not then do pretty much the same thing v Cardiff a few games later?

Correct.

1-0, 1-1, 2-1.

Lost the last 2 goals in the last 10 mins IIRC.

Am I the only one that's disappointed that our players didn't walk off? They had every right to do so especially as it continued in the second half (although it was less so somehow that is ok) 

In the build up to the game we were told the players would walk off, when it come to it they didn't, they have an opportunity to make a real stand but didn't and that disappointed me.

19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sums up these morons. The nazis thought the Slavs were sub human and wanted to wipe them off the planet. Wonder what their grandads think of it . Unbelievable 

Interestingly and shockingly perhaps, in the past at one stage there were Slavs- possibly really early granted- who saw the Nazis as liberators as opposed to Stalin. Thinking the Baltics largely!

Leroy Rosenior on Newsnight now about it. @Up The City! Rosenior thinks they did it right tonight, interestingly.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Am I the only one that's disappointed that our players didn't walk off? They had every right to do so especially as it continued in the second half (although it was less so somehow that is ok) 

In the build up to the game we were told the players would walk off, when it come to it they didn't, they have an opportunity to make a real stand but didn't and that disappointed me.

No not just you, I would have loved to see them walk off at 5-0 up. Such a powerful message that would have sent to the world.

Ah well never mind, as you were. 

3 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

No not just you, I would have loved to see them walk off at 5-0 up. Such a powerful message that would have sent to the world.

Hi, could you explain why it took the FA 6 months to fine Millwall £10k for their fans chanting v Everton?

Obviously the problem is far more acute and serious in bits of Europe and it seems the further East you go the worse it gets, but does our relative inertia in some respects make it harder to influence at a UEFA level maybe?

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Yes and no.

Would have been quite the statement, especially as the Premier League is 'global' and therefore a lot of people around the world would have been watching and looking to England as maybe their second country of interest, but at the same time, UEFA have put a policy in place that whilst not necessarily correct, was respected by the England players and management.

They were one minor incident away from UEFA abandoning the game, which would probably come with more sanctions than if England walked off.

I think the dignity shown by the players should be acknowledged and also the support given to them by the England fans.

Hopefully lessons will be learned and proper punishment handed out.

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interestingly and shockingly perhaps, in the past at one stage there were Slavs- possibly really early granted- who saw the Nazis as liberators as opposed to Stalin. Thinking the Baltics largely!

Not sure Balts would appreciate being called Slavs, Mr P. 

But yeah, quite a few nationalities in the USSR saw the Germans as liberators at first, until it became clear what their end plan was.

Bulgaria was actually rather half-heartedly allied to Germany from 1941. But largely because the Germans threatened to invade. Public sympathy lay very much with Russia and the Nazi puppet regime in Sofia even refused to send Bulgarians to help the Wermacht out in that campaign.

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

It sure would have sent a powerful message. 

Uefa would have looked like proper idiots if they didn't give us the victory.

Now we have our players acting like they are heroes cos they overcame the racism and won heavily. I'm sorry but England should be winning games like that heavily and shouldn't need to be subjected to racism to encourage them to perform. 

I do wonder if we would have won the other night would they have walked off tonight? I think the answer is yes.

What tonight showed me is that they care more about winning a game of football than taking a stand against racism. 

Had England of walked off the pitch and refused to play that would have sent shockwaves throughout the football world. Sorry but a few minutes break in play doesn't quite have that same effect.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yes and no.

Would have been quite the statement, especially as the Premier League is 'global' and therefore a lot of people around the world would have been watching and looking to England as maybe their second country of interest, but at the same time, UEFA have put a policy in place that whilst not necessarily correct, was respected by the England players and management.

They were one minor incident away from UEFA abandoning the game, which would probably come with more sanctions than if England walked off.

I think the dignity shown by the players should be acknowledged and also the support given to them by the England fans.

Hopefully lessons will be learned and proper punishment handed out.

It was clear the Racism continued in the 2nd half, I don't buy the arguement that as it wasn't as much as the 1st half it's ok.

If the officials or Uefa were not going to take action than our players should have. I'm sorry but they come away with very little dignity as they absolutely bottled it when they had the opportunity to make a stand. Bottled it big time. 

In the build up to this game all we heard about was our players had taken the decision to walk off, rather than talking about football. Then when it come to it then didn't do as they said they would and instead choose to let the football do the talking. 

Instead they choose to punish Bulgaria by beating them 6-0, which England should be doing anyways.

By playing on all it did was to give these people the opportunity to continue with their behaviour, judging by all the laughing etc the people were clearly enjoying it so deny them the opportunity to do it.

Uefa need to get a grip on this issue, handing out poxy fines and partial stadium closures is not good enough. 

If behaviour like this happens then domestic clubs and international clubs should be banned from competing in Uefa competitions, that's how you deal with it. If it happened in this country then we would already have been throw out and due to our laws many fans would be having their doors kicked in in the morning. Unless other countries adopt them same laws and enforce them then they should not be allowed to compete either. 

Uefa have a real chance of making a huge social change, not just in football stadiums but beyond that and they should be taking the opportunity to make that positive change. Some flimsy banners, written in English, isn't going to force that social change.

6 hours ago, hodge said:

Tammy not getting any chance in a game in a perfect situation, Gareth thinking sod it he's bound to England now or something

Tammy was quite vehement in his comments earlier this week, when he suggested that, notwithstanding UEFA's protocol, he and his teammates should simply walk off the pitch in the event there was any racist abuse.

Tammy is still a young man and inexperienced at (full) international level.

It may be that, given the match was as good as won, GS took the decision not to risk exposing Tammy to the overt and disgusting racism, preferring to protect him with the relative shelter of the bench.   

Moving away from the game last night / France drew at home to Turkey and before that Spain drew against Norway.

Point is poor results are possible and as poor as the performance was Friday, there was as usual a serious over reaction. 

Whether England can get a solid defence and midfield in place in time for the Euros will depend on whether we from QF/SF to making a final at last - because our attack is arguably the best in the world. Only Southgate can sort it - I think the players are there to do something special. 

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It sure would have sent a powerful message. 

Uefa would have looked like proper idiots if they didn't give us the victory.

Now we have our players acting like they are heroes cos they overcame the racism and won heavily. I'm sorry but England should be winning games like that heavily and shouldn't need to be subjected to racism to encourage them to perform. 

I do wonder if we would have won the other night would they have walked off tonight? I think the answer is yes.

What tonight showed me is that they care more about winning a game of football than taking a stand against racism. 

Had England of walked off the pitch and refused to play that would have sent shockwaves throughout the football world. Sorry but a few minutes break in play doesn't quite have that same effect.

It was clear the Racism continued in the 2nd half, I don't buy the arguement that as it wasn't as much as the 1st half it's ok.

If the officials or Uefa were not going to take action than our players should have. I'm sorry but they come away with very little dignity as they absolutely bottled it when they had the opportunity to make a stand. Bottled it big time. 

In the build up to this game all we heard about was our players had taken the decision to walk off, rather than talking about football. Then when it come to it then didn't do as they said they would and instead choose to let the football do the talking. 

Instead they choose to punish Bulgaria by beating them 6-0, which England should be doing anyways.

By playing on all it did was to give these people the opportunity to continue with their behaviour, judging by all the laughing etc the people were clearly enjoying it so deny them the opportunity to do it.

Uefa need to get a grip on this issue, handing out poxy fines and partial stadium closures is not good enough. 

If behaviour like this happens then domestic clubs and international clubs should be banned from competing in Uefa competitions, that's how you deal with it. If it happened in this country then we would already have been throw out and due to our laws many fans would be having their doors kicked in in the morning. Unless other countries adopt them same laws and enforce them then they should not be allowed to compete either. 

Uefa have a real chance of making a huge social change, not just in football stadiums but beyond that and they should be taking the opportunity to make that positive change. Some flimsy banners, written in English, isn't going to force that social change.

Hi, what about Millwall v Everton 2019 or other (minor) racist incidents?

What do our own FA do exactly?

Clearly this is much, much worse but the one sided approach of some is quite interesting to note.

@Alex_BCFC

When you have one foot in the tournament as we did Friday pre kickoff and are up against a teak scrapping for the same, it can happen!

Your other results, I'd agree on Norway-Spain but Turkey are in strong form, certainly defensively so not that huge a surprise- decent side under new manager.

Interesting thread there. Thinks those fans will take delight in their FA getting punished for last night, so it will have no effect. 

I guess you have to hope if they continue to be punished, the Bulgarian FA will look to ban these individuals & refuse them entry into the ground. 

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Moving away from the game last night / France drew at home to Turkey and before that Spain drew against Norway.

I was at the France match! Amazing atmosphere, so loud, fans from both sides in block we were in. Lots of boos and whistling from Turkish fans whenever France had the ball (but nothing racist) 

I was videoing match just to record noise as Giroud scored (tried to upload but file too big).

France much the better side, few chances Turkey had they blasted over bar but then they scored with only shot on target and Turkish fans went crazy, a few flares and loud bangs

Great entertainment!

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Interesting thread there. Thinks those fans will take delight in their FA getting punished for last night, so it will have no effect. 

I guess you have to hope if they continue to be punished, the Bulgarian FA will look to ban these individuals & refuse them entry into the ground. 

They should implement the UK system on this.

Stadium bans, banning orders. Combined with education- believe it to be a multi layered approach here.

20 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Watched England in Sofia when Keegan was in charge ... Although England played like Kev wasn't.

Don't remember the natives being unfriendly or racist.

Generally friendly despite Ingerlunds efforts to upset them by building a fortress of flags in the centre surrounded by a moat of Zagorka beer …

Get the impression it's got worse over there, don't know over what period but until recently I don't remember Bulgaria being one of the big offenders for racism at football.

Archived