IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

Racism is still current through out the world and you don’t have to look too far to find a disgusting story involving an English club regarding racism. 

I’ve even Experienced racial abuse down Ashton gate when I took a black friend with me and was told to F off when I approached the gents who were calling our own black players words I can’t use on here and don’t want to type if I’m honest! And I was even called a traitor for being friends with a black person. Horrid scum bags who are ignorant and uneducated. 

1 hour ago, Make a Sub said:

Racism is still current through out the world and you don’t have to look too far to find a disgusting story involving an English club regarding racism. 

I’ve even Experienced racial abuse down Ashton gate when I took a black friend with me and was told to F off when I approached the gents who were calling our own black players words I can’t use on here and don’t want to type if I’m honest! And I was even called a traitor for being friends with a black person. Horrid scum bags who are ignorant and uneducated. 

Extraordinary, it must be over 30 years since I've heard any overt racism at City.

Apparently it still goes on at Rovers, but then that always was their thing, not ours. 

Football 'supporters' are real hypocrites .... just look at how some of the posts on here say absolutely disgusting things about Rovers' fans and supporters from Cardiff and Swansea ... were the same things to be said about eg. Asians then the posters would be (a) banned and (b) the posts removed.  

13 minutes ago, swampy said:

Football 'supporters' are real hypocrites .... just look at how some of the posts on here say absolutely disgusting things about Rovers' fans and supporters from Cardiff and Swansea ... were the same things to be said about eg. Asians then the posters would be (a) banned and (b) the posts removed.  

So you perceive those who peddle racial hatred are the equal of those who indulge in footie banter?? 

F'cks sake, get some perspective man. 

15 minutes ago, swampy said:

You really need to be reeducated if you think the longstanding sheep shagging jokes are on par with monkey chanting and nazi salutes. I'm sure if you ask any sane Welshman which is more offensive there will only be one answer. 

By the same logic, I'm sure your previous posts hinting at the inbreeding in East Anglia is considered racist or on par with the scenes in Sofia tonight? 

On 23/01/2019 at 00:11, swampy said:

The Far East .... too many people and not enough surnames ... 

and were the chants equal to your belittling comments of Rovers: 

If you genuinely can't differentiate between 'banter' between City, Rovers, Cardiff and Swansea fans with nazi saluting then I'm lost for words. 

11 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Extraordinary, it must be over 30 years since I've heard any overt racism at City.

Apparently it still goes on at Rovers, but then that always was their thing, not ours. 

I hear racism at city once or twice a season on average. I stood up to two guys once, got no support from any other fans and would have then got beaten up if I hadn’t moved seats. My 7 year old was shook up.  Stewards didn’t address it either.

Lets not be naive and think it doesn’t happen at every ground in this country....just nowhere near as often as it happens in other countries 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

I hear racism at city once or twice a season on average. I stood up to two guys once, got no support from any other fans and would have then got beaten up if I hadn’t moved seats. My 7 year old was shook up.  Stewards didn’t address it either.

Lets not be naive and think it doesn’t happen at every ground in this country....just nowhere near as often as it happens in other countries 

Can’t say there isn’t the odd racist comment but literally cannot remember a monkey chant at a City game for 40 odd years.

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Can’t say there isn’t the odd racist comment but literally cannot remember a monkey chant at a City game for 40 odd years.

Fairly sure it'd have happened in the 1980s? Try 35 years or so IMO- UK grounds certainly had problems with it then.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That will stop it dead?

Curious reply.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fairly sure it'd have happened in the 1980s? Try 35 years or so IMO- UK grounds certainly had problems with it then.

Curious reply.

I’m just making the point that a one match stadium ban will have no effect on eradicating racism as football grounds whatsoever. Expulsion from tournaments is the only answer in my view.

• Admin

True, but sadly in life there will always be one idiot in a large group

The problem with last night was that it was a large number of people and going by what they were wearing etc, it wasn't a spur of the moment reaction to anything happening in the game

Interesting, could you elaborate? Define 'racism at city' and that might be an interesting starting point.

I remember a few post by you about an incident once but nothing much else- I certainly question bits of this.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m just making the point that a one match stadium ban will have no effect on eradicating racism as football grounds whatsoever. Expulsion from tournaments is the only answer in my view.

The reporting and narrative around UEFA punishments of racism is interesting though- media can lead and the oft read narrative is that there are fines of a few grand. Actually behind closed doors, partial stadia closures etc- they do a lot more and have for a few years- they're actually quite draconian in some areas.

Expulsion may or may not be the way forward, but OTOH we're not at times in the best position to be leading the charge for this- because, see below.

Should Millwall have e.g. had a stand closure for their next FA Cup home game for the Everton chant in January? Proportionately speaking maybe!

In Europe and especially further East, expulsion, maybe- they definitely need a mix of punishment and education though, as a starting point- both individually and collectively.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting, could you elaborate? Define 'racism at city' and that might be an interesting starting point.

I remember a single post by you about it once but nothing much else- I certainly question bits of this.

The reporting and narrative around UEFA punishments of racism is interesting though- media can lead and the oft read narrative is that there are fines of a few grand. Actually behind closed doors, partial stadia closures etc- they do a lot more and have for a few years- they're actually quite draconian in some areas.

Expulsion may or may not be the way forward, but OTOH we're not at times in the best position to be leading the charge for this- because, see below.

Should Millwall have e.g. had a stand closure for their next FA Cup home game for the Everton chant in January? Proportionately speaking maybe!

In Europe and especially further East, expulsion, maybe- they definitely need a mix of punishment and education though.

Re Millwall I would go further and make them play away with no away tickets and if that doesn’t work kick them out of the competition for a season......and any other club. I agree that if our FA calls for sanctions we have to implement same measures ourselves. You either want to sort this problem out robustly or no point bothering at all.

Bound to be a few idiots.

Last time I heard it at a City game was at least 15 years ago when some nob shouted "black bastard" at a player who'd badly fouled one of ours.

I'm glad to report that virtually an entire row of fans turned to tell the bloke to stfu and call him an f-ing idiot. City fans of all ages, had no time for it, and even the culprit's mates looked embarrassed. One apologised for him.

It's almost kicked out of English football. But let's not pretend it doesn't exist at all. 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bound to be a few idiots.

Last time I heard it at a City game was at least 15 years ago when some nob shouted "black bastard" at a player who'd badly fouled one of ours.

I'm glad to report that virtually an entire row of fans turned to tell the bloke to stfu and call him an f-ing idiot. City fans of all ages, had no time for it, and even the culprit's mates looked embarrassed. One apologised for him.

It's almost kicked out of English football. But let's not pretend it doesn't exist at all. 

“Almost” being the key word. Now is the time for draconian measures to turn almost into completely!!

When at the Brentford game, someone behind me was shouting racist abuse at the linesman closest to us and one of the Brentford fans in the second half. Clearly very drunk and people around him were telling him to stop but to no result. The problem is far closer to home than you may think. Obviously in countries like Bulgaria and Italy, the problem is far, far worse but it still goes on right under our noses.

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Re Millwall I would go further and make them play away with no away tickets and if that doesn’t work kick them out of the competition for a season......

I may be wrong, and would not necessarily condone it in any event, but weren't the Millwall fans chanting that they would rather be a 'P*key', rather than a P*ki'? 

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I may be wrong, and would not necessarily condone it in any event, but weren't the Millwall fans chanting that they would rather be a 'P*key', rather than a P*ki'? 

Tbh it's unclear- maybe they were, but seems not to have been confirmed either way?

Always assumed it was the latter however- with that accent though the 2 can sound very similar!

If you can work it out, let us know! :P

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember a few post by you about an incident once but nothing much else- I certainly question bits of this.

In Europe and especially further East, expulsion, maybe- they definitely need a mix of punishment and education though, as a starting point- both individually and collectively.

What do you question? 

The one I mentioned was Cardiff at home. There was also a racist shout at Wolves in the FA cup.  Villa at home last season as well. 

Do I need to describe what I heard? It was a racist shout. Assume that’s enough 

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

When at the Brentford game, someone behind me was shouting racist abuse at the linesman closest to us and one of the Brentford fans in the second half. Clearly very drunk and people around him were telling him to stop but to no result. The problem is far closer to home than you may think. Obviously in countries like Bulgaria and Italy, the problem is far, far worse but it still goes on right under our noses.

Yeh I think I heard this at Brentford too - first time I’d heard something like this for a while. 

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

What do you question? 

The one I mentioned was Cardiff at home. There was also a racist shout at Wolves in the FA cup.  Villa at home last season as well. 

Do I need to describe what I heard? It was a racist shout. Assume that’s enough 

2-3 times a season though!

Okay by elaborate I guess I'm getting at how many- a group or one or two? Isolated ,short- or more sustained?

Nothing from stewards or club, that one surprises me too!

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2-3 times a season though!

Okay by elaborate I guess I'm getting at how many- a group or one or two? Isolated ,short- or more sustained?

Nothing from stewards or club, that one surprises me too!

I’ve only told a steward once as it was the first and last time I stood up to it. Took me to their boss, took my name and number and that was all I heard.

All of the incidents have been one off. The perpetrator has chosen not to repeat it. 

The reason I bought it up was that someone said they hadn’t heard anything racist at the gate for 30 years. Merely saying that it still happens.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’ve only told a steward once as it was the first and last time I stood up to it. Took me to their boss, took my name and number and that was all I heard.

All of the incidents have been one off. The perpetrator has chosen not to repeat it. 

The reason I bought it up was that someone said they hadn’t heard anything racist at the gate for 30 years. Merely saying that it still happens.

Believe that you need to for that, report seat number, row and block.

Define one off- ie a shout of "Insert racist term" here and nothing since. Wrong of course but hard to pin down if they don't repeat. Or by one off do you mean one game?

You mentioned though, two or three times a season- always different people each time I assume.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Believe that you need to for that, report seat number, row and block.

Define one off- ie a shout of "Insert racist term" here and nothing since. Wrong of course but hard to pin down if they don't repeat. Or by one off do you mean one game?

You mentioned though, two or three times a season- always different people each time I assume.

Yes it’s different people every time. I reported exactly the row and seat. I knew that as they were sat directly behind me. 

Yes it was one shout. Not hard to pin down if they don’t repeat it as I had the seat numbers.  Doing it once is bad enough in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yes it’s different people every time. I reported exactly the row and seat. I knew that as they were sat directly behind me. 

Yes it was one shout. Not hard to pin down if they don’t repeat it as I had the seat numbers.  Doing it once is bad enough in my opinion. 

Very odd- behind you directly, different each time- a group yet acting as individuals? Have you emailed the Head of Security about it- or taken it up with our (very slow) SLO- but then you can't get SLO without Slow!

Agreed, once is bad enough.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very odd- behind you directly, different each time- a group yet acting as individuals? Have you emailed the Head of Security about it?

Agreed, once is bad enough.

Thought I’d explained that I only reported it once despite me witnessing similar a fair few times. The one time I did report it they were sat directly behind me. Not every time it has happened. 

Different people each time I assume as all in different areas of the ground.  I didn’t report it to anyone other than who I already said I reported it too.

I can’t decide if you are trying to wind me up. Maybe you are implying I am lying. Not sure. Lying about racism within my own club fan base would be an extremely weird thing to do.  

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Thought I’d explained that I only reported it once despite me witnessing similar a fair few times. The one time I did report it they were sat directly behind me. Not every time it has happened. 

Different people each time I assume as all in different areas of the ground.  I didn’t report it to anyone other than who I already said I reported it too.

I can’t decide if you are trying to wind me up. Maybe you are implying I am lying. Not sure. Lying about racism within my own club fan base would be an extremely weird thing to do.  

Okay that's clearer- contacting the Head of Security so the area can be monitored might have been an idea.

Ah not ST holders then? Our CCTV is very good now!

No wind up, no claims of lying either- just seems an odd situation that's all, not that I'm doubting it.

33 minutes ago, swampy said:

so hold your hand up if, when City play teams from South Wales, you have not joined in with the chants of 'sheep shaggers' ... bloody hypocrites the lot of you.

Here you are again chuntering on, you pointless nause.

@Coppello highlighted your hypocrisy in post number 5 on this thread, but, as usual, when people challenge you, you have nothing to say and just regurgitate the same hackneyed, inane bullshit about how awful football fans are.

Does this actually give you pleasure? Do you sit back, sighing contendely, thrilled with yourself for telling the dreadful oiks how superior you are?

What a strange, strange person.

Given how much you hate us all, could you not please just piss off and never come back?

22 hours ago, Make a Sub said:

Just **** off :gasmask:

29 minutes ago, swampy said:

so hold your hand up if, when City play teams from South Wales, you have not joined in with the chants of 'sheep shaggers' ... bloody hypocrites the lot of you.

racism
1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but how would a group of mainly white Caucasian fans chanting at another group of white caucasian fans be deemed as racist?

Please understand what the word racism actually means before commenting..

Archived