IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

I have mixed race members in my family as well as Welsh family and family who support the Gas ... the way some of the w****s on here go on ... you are typical WASPS not that you would know what that means because ... I won't say.  Quite a few so-called City 'fans' are as racist and whatever as whoever England played the other night.  To be honest I don't give a to** because I lost all interest in top flight football a couple of decades ago ... 

I do read other forums from time to time and though I've referenced the 2010 one, there was seemingly something in 2013 too- bit of a recurring theme v Leicester? Thread on there formed off the back of this thread.

Still though it's extremely rare at AG, clearly! Twice in what 9 years, let alone before- certainly we've had nothing untoward in recent times.

11 minutes ago, swampy said:

I have mixed race members in my family as well as Welsh family and family who support the Gas ... the way some of the w****s on here go on ... you are typical WASPS not that you would know what that means because ... I won't say.  Quite a few so-called City 'fans' are as racist and whatever as whoever England played the other night.  To be honest I don't give a to** because I lost all interest in top flight football a couple of decades ago ... 

Here you go again. Log off you absolute danger ffs.

If you don't give a toss as per your claim then Just! ****! Off!

21 hours ago, swampy said:

so hold your hand up if, when City play teams from South Wales, you have not joined in with the chants of 'sheep shaggers' ... bloody hypocrites the lot of you.

Yes I do hand held very high

Have u noticed how Cardiff sing a song  “we know what we r / sheep shagging bastards we know what we r”

Get a grip

1 hour ago, swampy said:

On 18/09/2019 at 18:54, swampy said:

Another very intelligent quote "the way some of the w****s on here go on"  so embarrassing ... 

1 hour ago, swampy said:

You are Anthony Pulis Jr and I claim my £5!

1 hour ago, swampy said:

I can’t work you out mate, I don’t know if you’re a wum or a complete ? end ?

20 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This definition does not extend far enough for me, as racism can certainly be tribal. You'd better believe that racism exists between African nations on tribal lines. 

As for City fans, we're at Luton on Saturday and there have been plenty of racist chants from the city support there over the years. Let's see what happens. 

It's prejudice all the same, but the definition is the definition and shoe horning things into the term racism isn't helpful. The English language has plenty of adequate words for things so let's call them what they are. Xenophobia and bigotry. Racism is about race, not nationality or tribalism. 

But the end result is the same, it's contemptible hatred perpetuated by idiots who are stealing oxygen from the rest of us. 

27 minutes ago, J-mat said:

You've only got to read some of the absolute bollocks spouted in the non-football chat section of this forum to know we've got our fair share of racists and bigots

Surely a key test though is whether undesirable views let's call them are left at the door? I'd say they generally are. At AG certainly.

Football in UK is largely apolitical- probably best it stays that way!

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The one v Wolves was (surprisingly?) spared a football banning order in the courts.

Nonetheless yes, that incident was noteworthy. You will set the odd idiot and that is the odd idiot too many- but not heard any organised chanting or similar.

Put it this way, I don't remember any type of Millwall type chant as per Everton in January, or Chelsea type anti Semitism claims that we heard about in late 2018, or the Sterling thing in the same period.

Banana skin thrown at Aubameyang, don't remember this either!!

No I don't think we have much of a problem at AG. Certainly can't be complacent however- but I do remember late 2010 some kind of chanting v Leicester but really seemed an outlier that.

I don't really understand why you're hammering the point that there are worse than us around. Why does it matter? In what way is it relevant? Someone asked a question and people have explained the extent of our problem or guilt or whatever. 

Luckily, our issue seems to be one that can be remedied quickly, but issues with the reporting should be highlighted as that's the only route to weed these c***s out. And before anyone whinges about grassing, this stuff is beyond even lad code. 

2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I don't really understand why you're hammering the point that there are worse than us around. Why does it matter? In what way is it relevant? Someone asked a question and people have explained the extent of our problem or guilt or whatever. 

Luckily, our issue seems to be one that can be remedied quickly, but issues with the reporting should be highlighted as that's the only route to weed these c***s out. And before anyone whinges about grassing, this stuff is beyond even lad code. 

I'm being objective.

Once is once too much but I don't think our problem is so bad here- I don't get away all that often so can't really comment.

Some of Red Dave's anecdotes did surprise me though, when referring to the club and the lack of action to which he referred!

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely a key test though is whether undesirable views let's call them are left at the door? I'd say they generally are. At AG certainly.

Football in UK is largely apolitical- probably best it stays that way!

No, I couldn't disagree more. That isn't the test. 

For too long we've thought that a quiet racist is better than a loud one. But they're still a racist. We need to get away from treating football racism as anything other than a manifestation of societal issues. 

There was a version of the MAGA hat around after the brexit vote that said "make Racists scared again". But that's just terrible logic. 

What's needed is a root and branch change to the way our media is regulated so that the filth that is peddled by rags like the S*n and Mail can be stopped. We need education in both schools and in areas where racism is rife and we need to start calling out who is actually the reason for our hardships.

Racism, to me, is unnatural. It's a philosophy forced on people who are given a scapegoat for their substandard existence. It's an easy way out for the easily controlled. 

The German general public weren't all genocidal anti-Semites, yet they were hoodwinked by an argument of "other". 

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm being objective.

Once is once too much but I don't think our problem is so bad here- I don't get away all that often so can't really comment.

Some of Red Dave's anecdotes did surprise me though, when referring to the club and the lack of action to which he referred!

Highlighted the only bit worth typing 

14 minutes ago, J-mat said:

No, I couldn't disagree more. That isn't the test. 

For too long we've thought that a quiet racist is better than a loud one. But they're still a racist. We need to get away from treating football racism as anything other than a manifestation of societal issues. 

There was a version of the MAGA hat around after the brexit vote that said "make Racists scared again". But that's just terrible logic. 

What's needed is a root and branch change to the way our media is regulated so that the filth that is peddled by rags like the S*n and Mail can be stopped. We need education in both schools and in areas where racism is rife and we need to start calling out who is actually the reason for our hardships.

Racism, to me, is unnatural. It's a philosophy forced on people who are given a scapegoat for their substandard existence. It's an easy way out for the easily controlled. 

The German general public weren't all genocidal anti-Semites, yet they were hoodwinked by an argument of "other". 

Sorry, should've been clearer. When I said 'leave at the door' I meant hardline political views verbatim, not racism. Presumed you were on about hardline political views generally.

Agreed- racism needs seriously tackling at a societal level. Education is a must and regulation a possible way forward here too.

At a club level. Well short of banning for racism in the ground or eg directed at players or other employees on social media say- what more can be done?

I still don't think we have any great issue with it on matchdays at AG.

On 15/10/2019 at 14:17, Mr Popodopolous said:

I may be wrong, and would not necessarily condone it in any event, but weren't the Millwall fans chanting that they would rather be a 'P*key', rather than a P*ki'? 

Tbh it's unclear- maybe they were, but seems not to have been confirmed either way?

Always assumed it was the latter however- with that accent though the 2 can sound very similar!

If you can work it out, let us know! :P

I managed to contact a Millwall season ticket holder friend of mine today and, amidst much resigned sighing, he confirmed that the Millwall fans were, indeed, singing that they would rather be Pikeys.

Apparently, and no doubt posters such as @Olé would be able to confirm, Millwall are often referred to as Pikeys by 'Northern' fans, a dubious accolade also afforded to our regular Cup opponents, Gillingham.

As we are on the subject, i.e. racism and Millwall, I do recall one unsavoury incident concerning Millwall a few years ago - in fact, it must have been quite some years ago as I was sitting in the Dolman stand, next to what was then the Open End! 

It was a 'top of the table clash', and I remember that, having gone 1-0 up, City lost 4-1 - Tony Cascarino and Teddy Sheringham played, the latter scoring a hat trick - and the atmosphere; before, during and after the game was absolutely electric.

What sticks uppermost in my mind, however, was an incident when, during a pause in the match, Wayne Allison, who was standing very close to us by the Open End, was subjected to a torrent of racist abuse from the Millwall fans.

Within seconds, starting in the Dolman but spreading throughout the ground, it seemed that almost everybody (apart from the Millwall fans) was singing his name, and he received an absolutely rapturous round of applause when he clapped and acknowledged the support he received. 

3 hours ago, swampy said:

You would almost come across as intelligent if you didn’t have Tourette’s.......instead you just come across as a thick and ******* arrogant manual manipulator. Have a good day...........

On 14/10/2019 at 23:27, swampy said:

Football 'supporters' are real hypocrites .... just look at how some of the posts on here say absolutely disgusting things about Rovers' fans and supporters from Cardiff and Swansea ... were the same things to be said about eg. Asians then the posters would be (a) banned and (b) the posts removed.  

Pull you’re self together you wet fart... Pathetic!!!

On 15/10/2019 at 21:01, Coxy27 said:

100% there was racist language in the away end at Brentford. A few others have mentioned it.

I mentioned it on the Brentford thread on the night. I was surprised as I enjoy the away atmosphere when I can get to games. Pissed up *****, but that’s no excuse and can part of the fun of being an away fan. Nasty bunch. Egging each other on but in awe of the big bloke with the work shirt who was the most racist. Let’s go f-ing mental was a laugh as they launched into a packed standing fan base to jump around - but then the naming of Brentford players with you black *** or Canos you spick *** was a shock. Seemed to be trying hard to be the most ardent of fans and consistently sang the Massengo song 

Go figure

we have come a long way but a long way still to go when this is something people can think is on message for an away fan however pissed.

I’ve found it the same in board rooms and on the golf course though — I’m amazed what people will say when they think they are among what they must think are like minded people.

Racism is absolutely NOT a problem at city games.

I've been going to city games since 1994. I am brown and i have never received any racist abuse in that time - outside of football i have, quite a bit.

I have only ever witnessed two racist incidents and both times the people apologised straight away (to me for some reason :laugh:)

The first was an asian referee away at brentford and a city fan called him a paki bastard. - I turned and stared at him he apologised.

The second was away at stoke and some shouted n****r at ricardo fuller. Unfortuntely i knew the bloke - we fell out - but he did apologise. I was stood with my brother in law at the time - who was of afro-carribean descent.

In 25 years of going, these are the only two incidents.

Racism is society's problem not footballs. Football brings people together

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I managed to contact a Millwall season ticket holder friend of mine today and, amidst much resigned sighing, he confirmed that the Millwall fans were, indeed, singing that they would rather be Pikeys.

Apparently, and no doubt posters such as @Olé would be able to confirm, Millwall are often referred to as Pikeys by 'Northern' fans, a dubious accolade also afforded to our regular Cup opponents, Gillingham.

As we are on the subject, i.e. racism and Millwall, I do recall one unsavoury incident concerning Millwall a few years ago - in fact, it must have been quite some years ago as I was sitting in the Dolman stand, next to what was then the Open End! 

It was a 'top of the table clash', and I remember that, having gone 1-0 up, City lost 4-1 - Tony Cascarino and Teddy Sheringham played, the latter scoring a hat trick - and the atmosphere; before, during and after the game was absolutely electric.

What sticks uppermost in my mind, however, was an incident when, during a pause in the match, Wayne Allison, who was standing very close to us by the Open End, was subjected to a torrent of racist abuse from the Millwall fans.

Within seconds, starting in the Dolman but spreading throughout the ground, it seemed that almost everybody (apart from the Millwall fans) was singing his name, and he received an absolutely rapturous round of applause when he clapped and acknowledged the support he received. 

Thanks, that helps clear some of that one up!

Would also add that brought WSC yesterday and last night read something on Millwall- seems the action plan was more substantive than a fine and has cost them so far in the region od £600,000- so I'll row back a bit on my criticism of Millwall and the FA!

Called quite an innovative approach actually.

The 'Pikey' thing doesn't surprise- remember hearing relatively casual use of the term from Greater Londonish/Kent, ie that general area- know a few from that area.

23 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’m intrigued by the almost universal condemnation of swampy’s call of  hypocrisy when comparing racism with “sheep shaggers” etc for the Welsh. To my mind, swampy has a genuine point.

There seems to be very widespread acceptance that racism is appalling, but somehow that it’s limited to skin colour and any hate speech (because that’s what it is) aimed at other white people is just acceptable banter.

A few points:

- racism itself was “acceptable banter” until it wasn’t. In the 1960s most fans would probably have thought calling a black player names was fair in the cause of upsetting the opposition.

- “Sheep shaggers”. So if we played an Arab team, how many people would think it was acceptable and funny to call them “Camel shaggers”? Not many, I’m guessing.

- racism is only based on ethnicity? Hmm. Mr Popodopoulos has pointed out the Serb/Croat issue. What about the English treatment of the Irish? Again, back in the 1960s, landlords had signs in the window saying “No blacks, no Irish, no dogs”. I haven’t checked the legislation, but I’d be surprised if the “No Irish” bit was still legal.

The problem is that the difference between banter and hate speech is all in the intent, which is subjective. There may be quite a few fans who genuinely hate the Welsh, or Scots, and can’t see that this prejudice is pretty similar to racism. If you’re treating it like banter with your mates, that’s fine, but last season’s Swansea match shows we don’t all act like mates in other respects.

Presently in Dublin, was walking back from lunch to the office, and passed a woman wearing a t-shirt with the text: 

More Blacks
More Irish
More Dogs

Archived