IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

On a prior thread about this subject, I believe @WolfOfWestStreet made a few posts regarding chants at the 4-0 v Leicester that saw the end of McInnes- interesting to see if they still consider this to be the case.

On a separate note yet by a similar token, I reckon there will have been some posters who post on here who either actively sang the songs, or merely joined in with it on spur of moment- a defence of their position would he interesting to see!

1 hour ago, forestofdean said:

so singing England and tommy Robinson is now racist,how does that work

i imagine in the same way that if you were to chant about hitler in a positive manner and make nazi salutes it would be considered by most as being racist.  I imagine that most of the people in the box were born in Britain and consider themselves British albeit with a cultural background and have a different colour skin to yourself.

being from the forest of dean I can see why you would be intimidated by new blood coming into an area from outside and that you believe there is nothing wrong with this sort of behavior, but to be British with brown skin and being subjected to a bunch of morons directing chants at you of "England" and "Tommy Robinson" is 100% racist and has no place in a civilised society.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-respond-allegations-racist-3447510

Let's hope the national media don't pick up on it.

Would almost certainly IMO have been included in referees report. The club are blameless here however, the blame lies with a minority- yes, clearly a minority of people.

15 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

If we're going on the dictionary definition of racism – that the prejudice is based on the belief that one's own race is superior – then I'm not sure the 'small town in Asia' chant accurately fits that bill. I don't think people chanting that genuinely think whites are superior to Asians (unlike the white people who used black people as slaves, for example). This strikes me as being more about tribalism than racism – so in a way, it is quite similar to chants against the Welsh, French, etc. Not that that excuses it – it still creates misery and can lead to bullying and violence, etc – but I think this kind of thinking, especially among men, is innate to an extent. 

On a separate (and rather depressing) note, for all the talk of 'stamping out racism', I'm not convinced it's actually racism that's being stamped out, but people openly expressing racist views

I never seen all the press/social media/news outlets shouting from the rooftops when a certain Anthony Joshua said exactly this about black people...

I try and avoid discussions about racism at football as in my experience they only seem to entrench opposing views still further, and I believe in treating people on their merits even if they have a different view of the world to me. To that end, I have only referred to yesterday as unnecessarily political rather than simply racist. 

That for me is the real insult, that people who have one view, should feel City's away end - which should be united - is the place to make it known. As any pub landlord will tell you, forcing YOUR politics on everyone else is selfish, entitled, and toxic. The only possible reaction is arguments between City fans and people leaving.

The first Tommy Robinson chant was in the first half when we were well in the game - it beggars belief and I had to do a double take albeit it was only 20 or 30 people. Two more followed in the second half when we were behind, and I'm talking 50-100 people at least, of all ages. Other City fans booed and hissed and rightly so.

Those second renditions followed what for me at least was simply a predictable retort to Welsh/sheep-shagging jibes from home fans. I knew it was coming and sure enough "small town in Asia" was belted out, the one I personally find more depressing "England England England" as if somehow being Asian makes you less English.

I learned at the station from others stood on the other side of the away end that pockets of chants I heard in the first half about pedophiles were some grooming-related "joke" aimed at what I had previously clocked myself as a respectable family of (to my eyes) Indians - two parents and four or five small children - in a hospitality box.

For what it's worth I am mixed race, specifically half Asian. Lots of my friends are. I had to be persuaded not to leave Cardiff before our final in 2003 when a LOT of our fans in one of the main pubs were singing I'd rather be a paki than a taff, a chant I despise and something a lot even at AG joined in with as recently as ten years ago.

I'm past weighing in on racism, as above, I avoid discussing this subject because it is tiring and it achieves nothing - and I know lots of people who are openly robustly right wing and that is not the basis for whether I can have a beer with them. But when you start singing your political views in a City away end you are a ******* moron.

52 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I was, and yes they were. Along with the paedophile chants, interspersed with the odd comment about Rotherham. 

Ive read this depressing thread and it seems to me that your question/comment and the answer sum up what some people can't see or accept, that demonising a whole race (as paedophiles,  Un-"English" etc) is fundamentally what racism is. 

The parallel with J Saville has been made: funny how Yaxley Lennon doesn't conclude from the latter that all white Yorkshiremen are paedophiles and should be sent home? 

Was Saville part of a huge paedophile ring who raped hundreds of children then? I thought he was alone in what he done and it was just covered up by people in the BBC and higher up? That is a surely a completely different scenario isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is surely overdue a move to the Non-Football forum.

@Maesknoll Red @phantom

Dunno.

Bits of it are, perhaps, ie the wider political/racial/religious points, Tommy Robinson. Bits specific as to whether we as a club/fanbase have a problem I'd say while uncomfortable, need to stay up here IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno.

Bits of it are, perhaps, ie the wider political/racial/religious points, Tommy Robinson. Bits specific as to whether we as a club/fanbase have a problem I'd say while uncomfortable, need to stay up here IMO.

Fair enough.

It seems to have drifted into other areas and generally views are firmly entrenched so that there isn't any actual debate rather people trotting out their own views and ignoring those of others similar to the Brexit thread.

Football threads have genuine debates going on and are consequently far more interesting to read.

17 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Was Saville part of a huge paedophile ring who raped hundreds of children then? I thought he was alone in what he done and it was just covered up by people in the BBC and higher up? That is a surely a completely different scenario isn't it?

Maybe, but was that guy in the Luton box part of a huge paedophile ring......That's the point I'm making.

On yesterdays "songs". I heard the "paedo, paedo, paedo" and I didn't know who it was aimed at, or why it was sung (unsure how many sung it as it was away from where I was stood). From what I have read on here it is a complete embarrassment and disgusting if it was sung directly at a family at a football match.

3 blokes by me tried to start a Tommy song and it never took off early in the second half, and one was trying to egg on the other to get it going again. Ridiculous. 

The "small town in Asia" song was sung by a lot of people, and no doubt that will be sung in the future away in Birmingham etc. I cannot see that ever stopping regardless if some people think it is racist, as many obviously don't see it as racist and will openly sing it. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Robinson says about radical Islam is 100% spot on and in Quite a few occasions when he has been given air time on national TV to express is he views he has come across very well.. the way the leftist media especially the BBC have gone after him on certain shows has been pretty out of order IMO.

The bottom line is the left in this country will always victimise the likes of Robinson but you have to applaud the guy for wanting to tackle and talk about the clear problems that radical islam threatens this country with.

Two things here..

1) Radical Islam is not Islam. Yaxley-Lennon doesn’t choose his target, he simply uses sweeping generalisations and an element of the population, including people on this forum, are simply too uneducated to understand they are being fooled.

2) you cannot victimise “Robinson”, he is a criminal thug, proven in more than one court of law, on more than one occasion.

Hitler came across very well...that didn’t mean he had any good points (other than motorways) 

3 minutes ago, redsontour said:

Two things here..

1) Radical Islam is not Islam. Yaxley-Lennon doesn’t choose his target, he simply uses sweeping generalisations and an element of the population, including people on this forum, are simply too uneducated to understand they are being fooled.

2) you cannot victimise “Robinson”, he is a criminal thug, proven in more than one court of law, on more than one occasion.

Hitler came across very well...that didn’t mean he had any good points (other than motorways) 

I could only like your post once, but you are exactly right.

What a shower of ***** people who seek to legitimise this are, especially given that our country fought against this exact shit in the 40s.

For shame.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You choose your religion, like you choose your football club.  You don’t choose your race.

I’m not convinced you do choose your religion. It’s normally rammed down your throat from a young age, children sent to religious schools etc. You can of course choose to denounce your religion at any time but is often not that simple. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Only just reading through this thread and i see old Tommy Robinson’s name is being mentioned..I must admitt i always went along with the narrative that ‘’Tommy Robinson’’ was a racist and a thug. Being mixed race myself it was/is the easiest opinion to have of the man really.. its a hard one as i think MANY on the ranks of the EDL have racist views and many have jumped on their bandwagon especially as the National Front have got less popular over recent years.. but i must admitt MANY of what Robinson says about radical Islam is 100% spot on and in Quite a few occasions when he has been given air time on national TV to express is he views he has come across very well.. the way the leftist media especially the BBC have gone after him on certain shows has been pretty out of order IMO.

The bottom line is the left in this country will always victimise the likes of Robinson but you have to applaud the guy for wanting to tackle and talk about the clear problems that radical islam threatens this country with.

Superb post. Very well said sir

24 minutes ago, redsontour said:

Two things here..

Plenty on the other side of Robinson use sweeping generalisations against them. Many, many things that the likes of Robinson, Trump, Boris say are ridiculous - it doesn't mean you cannot agree with any of the things, points they say/make. I agree with many things all of them say, it doesn't mean I am a racist, bigot, Nazi etc, and especially being called uneducated - which just comes across as a sweeping generalisation because they have a differing opinion than yourself.

How can you also not victimise someone because they have a criminal record? So we have a free pass to say whatever we want to anyone who has a criminal record? 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Only just reading through this thread and i see old Tommy Robinson’s name is being mentioned..I must admitt i always went along with the narrative that ‘’Tommy Robinson’’ was a racist and a thug. Being mixed race myself it was/is the easiest opinion to have of the man really.. its a hard one as i think MANY on the ranks of the EDL have racist views and many have jumped on their bandwagon especially as the National Front have got less popular over recent years.. but i must admitt MANY of what Robinson says about radical Islam is 100% spot on and in Quite a few occasions when he has been given air time on national TV to express is he views he has come across very well.. the way the leftist media especially the BBC have gone after him on certain shows has been pretty out of order IMO.

Superb post, but that doesn't suit the narrative of many so won't get too much reaction. 

I sincerely hope that no one mis interprets my thoughts here because I genuinely abhor all  forms of racism . I’ve travelled home and away for years and can recall absolutely no racist behaviour ( aside from the usual Anglo-Welsh mutual appreciation) since the bad old days of the 70’s and 80’s . Over the past year or so however , the media seem to have become obsessed with racism that to most of us has disappeared to almost non existent proportions . Sometimes  The more you talk about something , however minor it may be , the more you stimulate its resurgence and I genuinely feel that we’re seeing more and more of it as a result . The England game is great example . All the talk before the game was about racism and guess what ? Proven racist behaviour should be punished severely but constant media comment may just keep adding fuel to the fire unfortunately. 

Just now, redsontour said:

Two things here..

On your point 1. Radical Islam is Islam, a very backward looking neanderthal form of it but still islam all the same. Whilst moderate islam are tolerant of other cultures and religions,  the radicals certainly  arnt. You only have to see how ISIS and the Taliban treat people to know the difference.  If the moderates were to rout out and denounce the radicals in there midst, maybe just maybe others would be more tolerant of them. 

10 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

On your point 1. Radical Islam is Islam, a very backward looking neanderthal form of it but still islam all the same. Whilst moderate islam are tolerant of other cultures and religions,  the radicals certainly  arnt. You only have to see how ISIS and the Taliban treat people to know the difference.  If the moderates were to rout out and denounce the radicals in there midst, maybe just maybe others would be more tolerant of them. 

You could apply the same to Catholicism, and plenty of other religions. Yet these knobhead 'freedom fighters' and 'heroes' seem to only focus on one religion. I don't know the reason why, except that it's definitely not racism.

The worrying bit is that if you confront these dick heads you are likely to get a slap for your troubles. 

Nobody likes a grass, but I feel it's the only way in this scenario. So every Bristol City fan that is sick of these idiots should report them to the police or stewards as soon as they see it. 

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

On yesterdays "songs". I heard the "paedo, paedo, paedo" and I didn't know who it was aimed at, or why it was sung (unsure how many sung it as it was away from where I was stood). From what I have read on here it is a complete embarrassment and disgusting if it was sung directly at a family at a football match.

3 blokes by me tried to start a Tommy song and it never took off early in the second half, and one was trying to egg on the other to get it going again. Ridiculous. 

The "small town in Asia" song was sung by a lot of people, and no doubt that will be sung in the future away in Birmingham etc. I cannot see that ever stopping regardless if some people think it is racist, as many obviously don't see it as racist and will openly sing it. 

I really would like to think after the publicity around that particular chant yesterday and the obvious disgust from almost every other fan on here that that chant would NOT be sung again . It is a clear racist chant and the assumption that because city are in Birmingham then it will be sung sums up all that is wrong with these racists at football matches. 

I will be really disappointed if that chant is ever sung again at a football match in the uk 

Just now, nebristolred said:

You could apply the same to Catholicism, and plenty of other religions. Yet these knobhead 'freedom fighters' and 'heroes' seem to only focus on one religion. I don't know the reason why, except that it's definitely not racism.

In fact you could probably say the same about all religions.  Personally I think it's stupid, talking to an imaginary person that no one knows existed.  Biggest con ever, who ever thought that up years ago was a genius to fool so many for so long

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Maybe, but was that guy in the Luton box part of a huge paedophile ring......That's the point I'm making.

Why would you think that though? 

Is the guy next to you in the crowd part of a paedophille  ring? This is the point. Perceived racism comes in all different forms 

There were no chants aimed at any other fans like that; other than that particular box, yet  on the basis of probability there were probably other white  paedophilles in the crowd also 

racist chanting can never be excused 

10 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I really would like to think after the publicity around that particular chant yesterday and the obvious disgust from almost every other fan on here that that chant would NOT be sung again . It is a clear racist chant and the assumption that because city are in Birmingham then it will be sung sums up all that is wrong with these racists at football matches. 

I will be really disappointed if that chant is ever sung again at a football match in the uk 

From your statement that it is a 'clear racist chant' I hope that it is being investigated, with view to identifying those responsible.

I believe that most in attendance are season ticket holders, which should make your job somewhat easier.

Lowest point tho was my 8 year asking me “what’s a paedo” now don’t get me wrong I choose to take him knowing full well he’s gonna hear swear words he obviously knows most of them I ain’t that naive but he knows it’s only adults at football who use them, but to sing that to the Asian guy was ridiculous he was in a box with kids ffs! 

10 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Be prepared to be disappointed then in my opinion. It will be sung at the same predictable matches (and by many clubs fans I expect)  the same as "sheep shaggers" is sung against Swansea/Cardiff and sung at us yesterday by them and others. Regardless of what many people think, I honestly don't think many fans see it as being racist, the same as many fans don't see "we can see you holding hands" sung at Brighton fans as being homophobic.

Archived