IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be sympathetic to the idiots yesterday and I’m sorry for assuming the worst, I was (mostly) totally wrong.
Disgusting stuff, would be interested to know what the people singing Tommy Robinson were doing if they weren’t trying to support his politics. His hair? His style?

55 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Plenty on the other side of Robinson use sweeping generalisations against them. Many, many things that the likes of Robinson, Trump, Boris say are ridiculous - it doesn't mean you cannot agree with any of the things, points they say/make. I agree with many things all of them say, it doesn't mean I am a racist, bigot, Nazi etc, and especially being called uneducated - which just comes across as a sweeping generalisation because they have a differing opinion than yourself.

How can you also not victimise someone because they have a criminal record? So we have a free pass to say whatever we want to anyone who has a criminal record? 

Just to clarify. 

1) I’m sure I agree with many things that Robinson says, for example,  “it’s dark at night” or “water is wet” , specifically though, he has a violent, fraud committing, racist thug.

2) The original post stated he, and his likes, were victimised because of their political views. You cannot be a victim if you are a perpetrator. End of.  

Finally though, you were right to pull me up on one statement I used, which was “uneducated”. What I should have said was “poorly educated” because, in any right minded society, to hold views that one colour or religion is inherently superior is the result of a bad education not no education. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On a prior thread about this subject, I believe @WolfOfWestStreet made a few posts regarding chants at the 4-0 v Leicester that saw the end of McInnes- interesting to see if they still consider this to be the case.

On a separate note yet by a similar token, I reckon there will have been some posters who post on here who either actively sang the songs, or merely joined in with it on spur of moment- a defence of their position would he interesting to see!

What did I say in 2013? 

I notice from the Club Statement that they will be 'investegating and taking appropriate action' to what happened yesterday.

I guess there will be CCTV footage and banning orders given out?

Crazy times... can't believe this still goes on at football in this Country.

Just support your team.

45 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I really would like to think after the publicity around that particular chant yesterday and the obvious disgust from almost every other fan on here that that chant would NOT be sung again . It is a clear racist chant and the assumption that because city are in Birmingham then it will be sung sums up all that is wrong with these racists at football matches. 

I will be really disappointed if that chant is ever sung again at a football match in the uk 

Less than clear from your post which chant you mean, but assume you mean the 'Small Town' one.

Overall, I certainly agree with your post but sadly how I see it is that society has a certain % of people who are either racist, or generally prejudiced, football clubs and fanbases are part of that society.

Ergo clubs will have a certain % of fans who are racist or generally bigoted/prejudiced. Be it outright or clear ignorance.

Mixture of bannings and educational programmes- perhaps a combination of the two for some.

I don't think it'll ever be eradicated fully though, sadly. Think the best we can hope for is that banning, education or hybrid approach and that people when they enter a football ground leave political views generally, but specifically racist views or chants at the door.

55 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Lowest point tho was my 8 year asking me “what’s a paedo” now don’t get me wrong I choose to take him knowing full well he’s gonna hear swear words he obviously knows most of them I ain’t that naive but he knows it’s only adults at football who use them, but to sing that to the Asian guy was ridiculous he was in a box with kids ffs! 

Sadly that would have been why he was being sung at.

A City fan posted on here a few years' ago how a fellow fan had called "pedo" at him because he was with his grandchild or children. The amazing thing is that he gained the impression that the guy wasn't having a go but actually thought that he was being humorous.

It does indeed take all sorts.

38 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

What did I say in 2013? 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/151650-you-wish-you-were-english/

Post 3, in response to the thread title you said "Because Leicester have a large Asian population". I'd put that in a similar category chant wise to "Small Town" personally.

A number of posts you made light of it- Posts numbered 16, 23, 26,  34 and 50- arguably.

Post 42.

"I'm obviously a moron, I sing songs at football that might upset people, I might call the ref a wankr, I might abuse a player taking a corner or a goalie standing in the net in front of the EE. If that makes me a scum bag so be it, I'd rather be part of the peasant underclass than a silent critic."

Arguably fits into making light of it too.

Post 57, you at least offered some balance and context and I believe this to be more rerlective of your view.

Look, what I was trying to get at (badly) is that, at football a lot of things get said that people don't necessarily mean its all part of the exchanges between supporters.

Post 110 you also added some good context, in response to @real_bristol .

Not even sure why I dragged it up tbh!

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

It is a clear racist chant

Therein lies the problem when we've the ill-educated policing (sic) and politicising this modern and populist agenda, not for one moment considering their own, inherent racist nature.

Adjectival descriptors or references to traits or stereotypical behaviours are not, de facto, racist save where explicitly used to denote superiority or inferiority. John Charles was a 'Welsh Wizard', Ferenc Puskas a 'Magical Magyar' and nobody with an ounce of grey matter would consider those terms outdated or racist (for they are not.) If you consider a term 'racist' when it is not, by definition,  ask yourself why and hold a moment of internal reflection?

The 'small town' chant is boorish in the extreme and says much about those chanting it though racist it is not. It's ironic and of the form defined by Eiron a few thousand years back. Whether one thinks it comic (I do not) is a matter of personal reflection. Much as Ipswich isn't in Norfolk, Luton clearly isn't and never has been a small town in Asia, that's idiotic fallacy. It only becomes racist if one believes small towns in Asia are in some way inferior to those in Europe, Africa, America or wherever. Having been to many variously sized Asian towns I know they and their citizens are all of interest, even where their infrastructure leaves much to be desired.

Similarly, if the chant is intended to denote that a disproportionate number of Luton denizens are of Asian decent, well that's true as would be to highlight Newcastle is largely composed of Geordies. It becomes racist when one considers oneself inherently superior to those of such decent.

That said the fact we've always had a sizeable number of F'wits who persist in singing asinine chants, hence the stereotype of West Country folk being cider-addled, straw-chewing simpletons - plus ca change.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/151650-you-wish-you-were-english/

Post 3, in response to the thread title you said "Because Leicester have a large Asian population". I'd put that in a similar category chant wise to "Small Town" personally.

A number of posts you made light of it- Posts numbered 16, 23, 26,  34 and 50- arguably.

Post 42.

Arguably fits into making light of it too.

Post 57, you at least offered some balance and context and I believe this to be more rerlective of your view.

Post 110 you also added some good context, in response to @real_bristol .

Not even sure why I dragged it up tbh!

It's fine. I don't believe singing "you wish you were English" is racist chanting. We sing it at the Welsh but appreciate the Leicester connection makes it a bit grey area.

If my posting history suggests I condone racism or racist chanting, then I apologise as this is not my view. 

21 hours ago, forestofdean said:

people don't like it because tommy Robinson reports on the truth unlike the news that try to hide facts,some of you should walk down certain roads in luton ,you may change your mind with your views instead of being stuck up your politically correct bottoms,and know im not racist but yes I am a proud white English man who is proud of my country and my heritage.

You are not a racist but a proud WHITE Englishman.?

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

I really would like to think after the publicity around that particular chant yesterday and the obvious disgust from almost every other fan on here that that chant would NOT be sung again . It is a clear racist chant and the assumption that because city are in Birmingham then it will be sung sums up all that is wrong with these racists at football matches. 

I will be really disappointed if that chant is ever sung again at a football match in the uk 

Be prepared to be disappointed then, from some of the comments on here the choir is in full voice.

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

There is a massive difference between Jihadists (militant extremists who claim to be Muslim) and Muslims. 

What Robinson doesn’t do is highlight that difference, instead he takes Muslims with the same brush as those who are militant extremists. He may come across well but he gives a very one sided, and quite frankly wrong, opinion of a religious group that itself wants to steer well clear of those who use violence wrongly in the name of Allah. 

I have to say he actually doesnt though.

I have seen interviews with him and he makes the clear distinction he is talking about Islam. Not Muslim people. He even states he has Muslim friends. 

Not saying I agree with him at all. There is alot he does wrong. And he doesnt help himself at all. It certainly very easy to perceive him as a racist thug.l

28 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Therein lies the problem when we've the ill-educated policing (sic) and politicising this modern and populist agenda, not for one moment considering their own, inherent racist nature.

Adjectival descriptors or references to traits or stereotypical behaviours are not, de facto, racist save where explicitly used to denote superiority or inferiority. John Charles was a 'Welsh Wizard', Ferenc Puskas a 'Magical Magyar' and nobody with an ounce of grey matter would consider those terms outdated or racist (for they are not.) If you consider a term 'racist' when it is not, by definition,  ask yourself why and hold a moment of internal reflection?

The 'small town' chant is boorish in the extreme and says much about those chanting it though racist it is not. It's ironic and of the form defined by Eiron a few thousand years back. Whether one thinks it comic (I do not) is a matter of personal reflection. Much as Ipswich isn't in Norfolk, Luton clearly isn't and never has been a small town in Asia, that's idiotic fallacy. It only becomes racist if one believes small towns in Asia are in some way inferior to those in Europe, Africa, America or wherever. Having been to many variously sized Asian towns I know they and their citizens are all of interest, even where their infrastructure leaves much to be desired.

Similarly, if the chant is intended to denote that a disproportionate number of Luton denizens are of Asian decent, well that's true as would be to highlight Newcastle is largely composed of Geordies. It becomes racist when one considers oneself inherently superior to those of such decent.

That said the fact we've always had a sizeable number of F'wits who persist in singing asinine chants, hence the stereotype of West Country folk being cider-addled, straw-chewing simpletons - plus ca change.

I think this response is meant to suggest that the chant is only racist because of our own internal racism.

i believe it is racist, as it is meant that way, and the clear implication from those singing is that being a small town in Asia is bad, that the immigrants are ‘lesser’, and so Luton should be laughed at. It is a racist chant, sung by racists (or those too ignorant to realise what they are singing).

Also, the eiron is a character, not a person and irony entails opposition (not mere difference) between the actual meaning and the apparent meaning of something. This isn’t an example of irony.

3 hours ago, redsontour said:

1) Radical Islam is not Islam. 

Abu Bakr al-Baghadadi might argue with you on that one. He thinks it’s the purest form on Islam!

He knows a thing or two about Islam and the Koran. He has a doctorate and phd in Islamic studies. He also has millions of followers. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh dear- reports on BBC Sport, Sky Sports, plus in the Guardian and Daily Mail about it.

Inevitable of course but bad look for the club!

...and it should look bad for the club I'm afraid. Every ticket sold was to a season ticket holder!

And a season ticket holder who really wanted to get to the front of the queue...plenty of regular supporters missed out on this one because of the short notice. Not at all sorry to say that I was one of those to miss out.

What a depressing read this thread is...

4 minutes ago, Paddy31 said:

I think this response is meant to suggest that the chant is only racist because of our own internal racism.

i believe it is racist, as it is meant that way, and the clear implication from those singing is that being a small town in Asia is bad, that the immigrants are ‘lesser’, and so Luton should be laughed at. It is a racist chant, sung by racists (or those too ignorant to realise what they are singing).

Also, the eiron is a character, not a person and irony entails opposition (not mere difference) between the actual meaning and the apparent meaning of something. This isn’t an example of irony.

Strangely I do know Eiron is a key character in Greek Tragedy and through use of irony undermines, ridicules and defeats opponents. As Luton is neither small or in Asia to state that it is, indeed,  ironic.

Interestingly you make reference to 'immigrants' though I do not believe that term arises in that 'chant'. You've made that association. I've no confidence the F'wits have ever given a considered thought to the birthplace of citizens near the grounds they visit, much as they give little thought to the fact many City fans do not hail from BS3.

Like libraries and sheds they're asinine chants all, though some would care to consider only a select few with associated meaning.

Just a quick question for those that say small town in Asia isn't a racist chant, you might  ot think your racist but do you support racism?

If a racist sings that song and you sing it as well they will think you agree with them and think you support them. 

1 hour ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

So singing england when we play Cardiff / Swansea is also racist in your eyes?

Pillock.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Cardiff and Swansea are in Wales.

Luton IS in England...you can see the difference?

@Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan Has summed it up perfectly.

Yelling England at people of an Asian ethnicity who live in England and are likely British is discriminatory. It is targeting a certain percentage of the fan base by inferring that because they are not of a certain race/ethnicity they are not British. I don’t see in what world you could infer that to not be racist or discriminatory. 

The only person who has shown themselves to be a pillock is you. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh dear- reports on BBC Sport, Sky Sports, plus in the Guardian and Daily Mail about it.

Inevitable of course but bad look for the club!

It was posted earlier that those chants have been sung 3-4 times at Luton already this season and won't be the last but because of what happened in Bulgaria its being highlighted more by the media. Also a bit further up this page someone said that because of the high media attention this year about racism it's causing a rise. Now only a couple of years ago you'd rarely hear about racism at games in the news. At the moment it's every week. Is there a rise not helped by the media or is it because every incident is being reported? 

30 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Just a quick question for those that say small town in Asia isn't a racist chant, you might  ot think your racist but do you support racism?

If a racist sings that song and you sing it as well they will think you agree with them and think you support them. 

As with most of the F'wits chants they're all a form of semantic bleaching, they're meaningless. I tire of arguing at most away fixtures with F'wits who when not focussed on their phone vocalise that said locale is a "sh*thole" and how desperate they are to "go home."

"**** off then, nobody's stopping you and let us concentrate on the game," at which their drug glazed eyes look at you as though you're stupid. They dont appreciate the utter drivel they come out with. Whilst I'm sure some of those sing with racist or inflammatory intent most do not - they haven't given a first thought to what they say or how they behave, it's just a something they blindly follow.

Pillock.

You’ve literally explained why it’s racist. Singing England to people who are Welsh is not racist. Singing it at people who probably are English is designed to suggest that people ‘can’t’ be English because of the colour of their skin. 

Pillock.

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you be more upset having your race made fun of if you came from a race/religion/colour which had been discriminated against for years, or if you didn’t? 

Archived