IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Furious Custard

Given that it happened away from home, I'm not sure a home game behind closed doors is correct.

Some sort of away restrictions maybe for the next high profile game? Away stewards for certain games to help to more easily identify would be troublemakers- but also to show, to demonstrate that the club are doing all that they reasonably can.

I understand your point , but in my opinion it needs to be dealt with in the strongest way possible or it's going to have little effect. I don't think more stewards or more policing is going to change the behaviour of these people. However if all their friends and supporters around them are telling them they need to stop , it is going to have a much longer lasting effect. They need to know they arent welcome here or in society any more. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Exactly. Its as crass as stating all racists vote leave which is what another poster stated using Will Self's original quote.

Except it’s not. But this is a football related thread so I’ll not go any further here on that. 

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

That is abusing black players though isn't it, and obviously so.

Singing "you're a small town in Asia" aimed at generally white fans is "bantz" as you put it (in my opinion), and as I have said most of those singing it will not see it as being racist at all, regardless of anyones view on it. Singing "we can see you holding hands" at Brighton fans is also "bantz" and in no way homophobic (in my opinion), but it doesn't stop some saying it is. 

People are trying to see things that just aren't there (on all subjects, not just racism). Mendy/Silva, Danny Baker fiasco, but still nothing to see when it is Jo Brand about throwing acid in someones face or Madonna saying the White House needs bombing because a certain Mr Trump is in it - no doubt all these people were up in arms on those issues?

It is all about "I am holier than thou" unless it doesn't suit the narrative.

So it’s racism only if there at playersof that ethnicity playing in the game? Your comment defies any logic. In my example that would be generally white Bulgarian fans ‘insulting’ generally white England fans by saying they live in a place inhabited by lots of black people. Insinuating that is a bad thing. Pretty good example

27 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

We can do a quick straw poll if you want to tell us how you voted?

Did you have a view on the thread titled small town in Asia from 2012?

Brexit? 

27 minutes ago, lenred said:

Except it’s not. But this is a football related thread so I’ll not go any further here on that. 

Yes it is crass. The topic was brought into this thread by another poster so I commented.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a thread in 2013.

One in 2010 too- both v Leicester but cannot find the latter right now- both certainly predated Brexit but especially the 2010 one. Could the Leicester thread about the thread on here, be our own NickJ, common name or username though it is?

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/69406-leicester-views-wanted-from-bristol-city-fan/

Also.

Related again to that one, ie the 2010 one.

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

What are you doing? :facepalm:

Once you get into a conversation with someone who defends Enoch Powell you know it’s time to get out.

And therein lies the issue.

You're happy to point the finger provided others may not hold an opinion contrary to your own. That's facism.

You choose to believe what you wish to make your point, save of course that wasn't actually what Powell said and your interpretation is as repugnant as the racists who chose to jump on his bandwagon. Not your Eyeless in Gaza beliefs might ever contenance otherwise. In such case I agree further exchange to be pointless.

As I said on something like page 9, call something racist, and everyone wants to argue the toss, about degrees of offence, surely we can all agree it is selfish behaviour and therefore moronic.

But reference "Small Town in Asia". Everyone knows the implication. It isn't banter. In sheep shagging the perceived slight is that you shag sheep. In this one the is that you're simply Asian FFS.

I think it's interesting that people don't go to Millwall or Crystal Palace and sing "Small Town in Africa", when both areas have more afro-carribean people (c.35%+) than Luton has Asian people.

Not only in both cases are we talking about English citizens, the reason you don't get the "banter" against black people is thankfully role models in football, music, TV have diluted such bigotry.

But Asian's lack role models in popular culture and remain the last outpost of fair game prejudice, particularly in football where they're not easily identified with, even if plenty watch the sport.

Katie Hopkins wouldn't dream of walking in St.Pauls or Old Kent Road to film West Indians with captions like "England 2019". She might have done 30 years ago. She does regularly for Asians.

It should be a clue that "Small Town in Asia" stereotypes is only considered  "banter" by people that have legitimised bigotry of Asians that they've long since moved on from for everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And therein lies the issue.

You're happy to point the finger provided others may not hold an opinion contrary to your own. That's facism.

You choose to believe what you wish to make your point, save of course that wasn't actually what Powell said and your interpretation is as repugnant as the racists who chose to jump on his bandwagon. Not your Eyeless in Gaza beliefs might ever contenance otherwise. In such case I agree further exchange to be pointless.

I spend plenty of time having healthy discussions on a variety of platforms. I’m just not willing to spend my time entertaining the belligerent, and I see no benefit in talking to racists. 

You might not think Powell was a racist. You are antiquated, and you are wrong, and you’re old enough to know better. 

Wait a sec - I’ve just reread your posts in Rees-Mogg’s voice - it couldn’t be, could it??

Small town in Africa doesn't rhythm Ole.

Won't roll off the cords.

"But reference "Small Town in Asia". Everyone knows the implication. It isn't banter"

Yes it is.

Just like small Town In Wales is.

Both have a perceived slight.

Or they don't depending on perception.

I find small in Asia offensive to the mind cos decades later from small town in Wales Wurzel hasn't come back with a better come back yet.

That's it.

There is no malice.

Boo hoo .. crap banter.

Grow some or will that offend those transitioning .. !!

6 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

I spend plenty of time having healthy discussions on a variety of platforms. I’m just not willing to spend my time entertaining the belligerent, and I see no benefit in talking to racists. 

You might not think Powell was a racist. You are antiquated, and you are wrong, and you’re old enough to know better. 

Wait a sec - I’ve just reread your posts in Rees-Mogg’s voice - it couldn’t be, could it??

It'll be whatever you imagine it to be. You make swathing statements based on nothing other than your prejudice and, laughably, don't even have the capacity to recognise as such.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

It'll be whatever you imagine it to be. You make swathing statements based on nothing other than your prejudice and, laughably, don't even have the capacity to recognise as such.

I’m not sure what swathing statement you’re referring to, but if it’s whether Powell was a racist, it’s not a prejudice, it’s an opinion provided by degree level education on that period of time. 

Anyway, you’ve got somewhere to be matey

rees-mogg-lying-down.jpg?itok=ARDf8QSE

4 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

I’m not sure what swathing statement you’re referring to, but if it’s whether Powell was a racist, it’s not a prejudice, it’s an opinion

Make your mind up. Two posts back you presented that as fact whilst being disparaging as to my years, of which your quality education will have highlighted that to be a protected characteristic under the Equality Act  (2010). Glass houses, eh?

Im telling you now that the people of st pauls wouldnt attack a women in her 40s for having a camera or a t shirt saying england 2019.

If you lot really think that, thats really sad.

You aint got a clue what you are talking about.

Somebody would step in down there quick time, and if anybody did attack a women, watch what would happen next to them!

Different organisation and significantly worse, plus as well as larger issues, no doubt, but would be interested to hear the thoughts of @The Gasbuster or @Vincent Vega given they implied UEFA only fine a few grand etc.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/serbia-punished-by-uefa-for-racist-fan-incidents-102119?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Why couldnt you walk through st pauls with say a england 2019 t shirt or sign?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im telling you now that the people of st pauls wouldnt attack a women in her 40s for having a camera or a t shirt saying england 2019.

If you lot really think that, thats really sad.

It's hardly worth replying if you're that unable to read what I wrote but you've literally invented your own point to argue with - that has nothing to do with what I said.

I was referring to the trend of certain "right wing commentators" like Katie Hopkins to film and tweet videos of certain ethnic areas (but almost always Asian) and then caption them ON SOCIAL MEDIA with "England 2019" as if that is in some way something to be depressed or disgusted about, or some reason for being ashamed that it is England (quite the irony for so called patriots).

I made a point that she wouldn't do it about St. Pauls (and no t-shirt was involved, you've literally imagined that), not because she couldn't walk through the place but because we've moved on from such prejudice about people of Afro-Carribbean origin or their neighbourhoods (believe me, I live in Lewisham, it's great). But she does it for Asians and people sing about them too.

It's not a coincidence.

Anyway, it's whatever, I don't think you're going to get it either way. Might be easier to carry on as you are.

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different organisation and significantly worse, plus as well as larger issues, no doubt, but would be interested to hear the thoughts of @The Gasbuster or @Vincent Vega given they implied UEFA only fine a few grand etc.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/serbia-punished-by-uefa-for-racist-fan-incidents-102119?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not enough for me I'm afraid,  30k is insulting .  Ban them from international football bare minimum or at least the tournament they're competing in. Token gesture yet again by gutless UEFA.

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Not enough for me I'm afraid,  30k is insulting .  Ban them from international football bare minimum or at least the tournament they're competing in. Token gesture yet again by gutless UEFA.

You missed the game behind closed doors bit?

NYON, Switzerland (AP) — UEFA has punished Serbia for racist fan incidents by ordering the stadium to be closed for its next home game in European Championship qualifying.

I agree, the fine aspect is pointless.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You missed the game behind closed doors bit?

I agree, the fine aspect is pointless.

Pointless and not far enough . Honestly I find it insulting. Playing a game behind close doors is going to achieve what exactly  ?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-racism-protocol-sanctions-punishments-full-list-clubs-fa-3-point-system-815236

48 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Pointless and not far enough . Honestly I find it insulting. Playing a game behind close doors is going to achieve what exactly  ?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/uefa-racism-protocol-sanctions-punishments-full-list-clubs-fa-3-point-system-815236

Thanks, I'll have a good read of it.

Still if UEFA are weak and below par, what does that often make our own FA in that respect?? 

The last time we had- yes there was one mandated by UEFA- but in domestic competition, a game fully of even partially (a stand let's say) behind closed doors was...?

UEFA did in 1981 order a West Ham UEFA Cup PR Cup Winners Cup behind closed doors at Upton Park but struggling for when our own FA have mandated this even during the height of 1970s or 1980s football! 

Overall yeah, UEFA don't do enough but they're in quite good company- FIFA seem pretty useless on it! Our FA certainly below par.

Archived