IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

• Admin
42 minutes ago, swampy said:

so hold your hand up if, when City play teams from South Wales, you have not joined in with the chants of 'sheep shaggers' ... bloody hypocrites the lot of you.

Why are you talking about "us" in that terminology? 

If you are not a City supporter, why are you here?

53 minutes ago, swampy said:

so hold your hand up if, when City play teams from South Wales, you have not joined in with the chants of 'sheep shaggers' ... bloody hypocrites the lot of you.

Yes have to agree with you, no need for it in this day and age.

I think when the players are shaking hands before games against Cardiff, all our supporters should chant thank you for attending, towards our Welsh neighbours.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay that's clearer- contacting the Head of Security so the area can be monitored might have been an idea.

Ah not ST holders then? Our CCTV is very good now!

No wind up, no claims of lying either- just seems an odd situation that's all, not that I'm doubting it.

You’re definitely on the wind up ?

1 hour ago, swampy said:

And so are you

45 minutes ago, phantom said:

Why are you talking about "us" in that terminology? 

If you are not a City supporter, why are you here?

You are much more well placed than the rest of us to do something about his constant bollocks.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Why is he here?

If he was a confirmed Rovers or Cardiff fan carrying on like he does then he'd have been binned off months ago.

Bang on. He's only on here to slag us all off and run our football club down. He should get ****** imo.

21 hours ago, swampy said:

Football 'supporters' are real hypocrites .... just look at how some of the posts on here say absolutely disgusting things about Rovers' fans and supporters from Cardiff and Swansea ... were the same things to be said about eg. Asians then the posters would be (a) banned and (b) the posts removed.  

1 hour ago, swampy said:

Here comes the attention seeker.... 

I don't go as often as I used to but the last time I can think of hearing anything racist was towards one of our own players, Greg Goodridge. He came on in a game and was shocking, over hitting corners and crosses and the bloke behind was giving some. So late 90's

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Here you are again chuntering on, you pointless nause.

@Coppello highlighted your hypocrisy in post number 5 on this thread, but, as usual, when people challenge you, you have nothing to say and just regurgitate the same hackneyed, inane bullshit about how awful football fans are.

Does this actually give you pleasure? Do you sit back, sighing contendely, thrilled with yourself for telling the dreadful oiks how superior you are?

What a strange, strange person.

Given how much you hate us all, could you not please just piss off and never come back?

I thought this was aimed at me for a second and I was very confused!

Racism is an often misused term as many people don’t know what it means - i.e. “prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.”

Most people seem to think that making comments about a persons nationality is racism, which it isn’t - as has been mentioned by @bris red    

If I use the real definition of racism, I haven’t heard any racist comments directed at players for 20 ish years. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen but, if it does, it must be limited to a small minority of people. Football shouldn’t be tarnished by these people as they must be racist in every aspect of their lives not just football. It’s the same when people are described as “football hooligans”. They aren’t football hooligans, they are just hooligans 

As a young mixed race lad I remember attending a game in the late 90s, maybe early 00s. I was sat towards the back the Dolman stand when someone a couple of rows or so behind me bellowed out the N word at the top of his voice (presumably referring to a black player). At that moment I felt very uncomfortable and very alone. I was maybe 13/14 at the time but it has always stuck with me.

Since that day I've never had another problem at Ashton Gate. It's a great stadium and we have a crowd that's a bit more reflective of Bristol's wider community. 

7 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I don't go as often as I used to but the last time I can think of hearing anything racist was towards one of our own players, Greg Goodridge. He came on in a game and was shocking, over hitting corners and crosses and the bloke behind was giving some. So late 90's

That's the thing. You could probably go to any ground and someone might here an isolated racist comment now, and most likely in 10 years time. It's definitely not like it was in the 70s. Some of the chants back then young people today wouldn't believe.

As an aside what a great player to watch Goodridge was, no better sight than him in form and in full flow.  Signed from Torquay, there fans were gutted to see him leave, but they managed to replace him with another West Indian winger Rodney Jack who some thought was better than Greg!!!!

1 hour ago, swampy said:

You seriously need to look at the unanimous disagreement with your opinion here and consider whether you might need to think again.

”Sheep shagger” is a humorous label based on a cliched caricature of Welsh people. Indeed, Welsh football fans even use it to describe themselves. It is simply good natured banter.

There is nothing humorous about racism, which discriminates against people based on the colour of their skin. People have died because of racism.

Your comparison is completely inappropriate and wrong.

18 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

That's the thing. You could probably go to any ground and someone might here an isolated racist comment now, and most likely in 10 years time. It's definitely not like it was in the 70s. Some of the chants back then young people today wouldn't believe.

As an aside what a great player to watch Goodridge was, no better sight than him in form and in full flow.  Signed from Torquay, there fans were gutted to see him leave, but they managed to replace him with another West Indian winger Rodney Jack who some thought was better than Greg!!!!

I thought we got him from QPR? Think he scored 2 on his debut for us including a cracker 

22 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Remember him tearing us a new one playing for Crewe. Cracking player.

22 hours ago, swampy said:

Football 'supporters' are real hypocrites .... just look at how some of the posts on here say absolutely disgusting things about Rovers' fans and supporters from Cardiff and Swansea ... were the same things to be said about eg. Asians then the posters would be (a) banned and (b) the posts removed.  

Um? You choose who you support not your race or colour. 

For those younger supporters who may be wondering, racism was terrible at just about every sporting event in the UK when I started going in the 70's

Ashton Gate was no different and I can still remember the shock of when I first went to AG up from sleepy Somerset and heard and saw people making monkey noises and shouting the N word and then laughing at their actions with their mates. I had the same feeling I last night watching on tv, how ****** thick must you be to even think of doing that. The hooligan stuff at the time wasn't for me but I could understand it, I could never understand racism.

I'm guessing there must be people on this forum my age and older who did that in the 70's. If you're reading this what are your thoughts now? I'd genuinely love to know your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:
racism
1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but how would a group of mainly white Caucasian fans chanting at another group of white caucasian fans be deemed as racist?

Please understand what the word racism actually means before commenting..

This definition does not extend far enough for me, as racism can certainly be tribal. You'd better believe that racism exists between African nations on tribal lines. 

As for City fans, we're at Luton on Saturday and there have been plenty of racist chants from the city support there over the years. Let's see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This definition does not extend far enough for me, as racism can certainly be tribal. You'd better believe that racism exists between African nations on tribal lines. 

As for City fans, we're at Luton on Saturday and there have been plenty of racist chants from the city support there over the years. Let's see what happens. 

I agree. But if you then look at definitions of the word "race" and it could be taken into a wider context. 

22 hours ago, swampy said:

Your not that Scottish bloke who phoned into Talksport earlier are you? Likening last nights racist abuse to him being called a ‘jock’ or a ‘sweatie’ by English people? Also claimed that those subjected to that vile abuse last night were grown men and should be able to just ignore it.

Some people :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Your not that Scottish bloke who phoned into Talksport earlier are you? Likening last nights racist abuse to him being called a ‘jock’ or a ‘sweatie’ by English people? Also claimed that those subjected to that vile abuse last night were grown men and should be able to just ignore it.

Some people :facepalm:

I heard that goober as well: "I get jokes about bagpipes and haggis every day of my life but I just take it on the chin etc. etc." Unbelievable.

Few brief points.

Someone said they reported to a steward an instance of racism, someone followed that up asking if they had then subsequently reported it to the SLO or stadium bloke. Nice idea in theory, but someone shouldn't need to report it twice. The steward should immediately escalate it they don't think it's something they can deal with on their own - immediately.

We are - according to some visiting supporters - a small town in Wales. They in turn might be 'dirty and Northern'. It's banter. Terrace humour. Get upset about that and we might as well sing, 'yes it's a library' for 90 minutes.

Pleased the days of referencing the colour of a player skin have mostly been banished, but the odd geographically based comment never bothered me. There is as much chance of a player at, say, Hartlepool being from London or Wales as there is them being from the generic north, but I don't see people reaching for Wikipedia to call them a 'you previous resident of NW7 before you moved to the Midlands and then the north east, Rotter' when it's more convenient to call them 'northern scum'.

Be excellent to each other and.....

On 14/10/2019 at 21:20, Make a Sub said:

Racism is still current through out the world and you don’t have to look too far to find a disgusting story involving an English club regarding racism. 

I’ve even Experienced racial abuse down Ashton gate when I took a black friend with me and was told to F off when I approached the gents who were calling our own black players words I can’t use on here and don’t want to type if I’m honest! And I was even called a traitor for being friends with a black person. Horrid scum bags who are ignorant and uneducated. 

You ask if racism is a problem at City games and then you describe an incident that sounds like you were attending a rally held by the invisible knights of the East Mississippi KKK.

Clearly IF what you said happened, happened then yes, there’s a real problem. I presume you’ve spoken to the club about this?

Archived