IGNORED

Benik Afobe Updates

Swede

Has anyone got any updates they can share on Afobe?

Its such a crying shame him getting the injury.

I think he would've had an amazing season with us and I really do hope he makes a public appearance soon as I feel sure that the ovation he would undoubtedly get will give the bloke a huge lift in aiding his recovery.

I really hope that we see him in a Bristol City shirt again soon..

7 hours ago, Swede said:

Has anyone got any updates they can share on Afobe?

Its such a crying shame him getting the injury.

I think he would've had an amazing season with us and I really do hope he makes a public appearance soon as I feel sure that the ovation he would undoubtedly get will give the bloke a huge lift in aiding his recovery.

I really hope that we see him in a Bristol City shirt again soon..

I agree it is a shame about his injury but I very much doubt we will see him again. I cant personally see him coming down the gate when he is still contracted to stoke and I personally think we will look else where instead of taking the option up to buy him 

54 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I agree it is a shame about his injury but I very much doubt we will see him again. I cant personally see him coming down the gate when he is still contracted to stoke and I personally think we will look else where instead of taking the option up to buy him 

There was talk when first injured that depending on the timeline for recovery whether he’d go back to Stoke or do it here.  Benik himself said he wanted to stay around Bristol.

In terms of signing him again, it depends.  It was the right knee this time so not a recurrence, and said to be a tear as opposed to a rupture, so we’ll have to wait and see how he recovers.

If he does recover, then we might still sign him.  Kid said the fee agreed is pretty low (in the context of a £12m striker) because we paid a good loan fee.  If for example that was £3m, then it’s a very good price for a striker of his pedigree, but obviously comes with risk attached.

No point ruling it out at this point, but nor can we say anything for sure either!

As good as he was the start of this season, we can't sign him based on that with his injury record. 

3 ACL injuries by 26 should be a definite red flag, if we sign him he is not guaranteed to hit form again straight away after his injury, plus there is a incredibly high chance that he will miss another season when it inevitably recurs. 

Thank you Afobe, a great pro, but as a club we need to be looking for a better investment. 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I spoke to him after the Swansea game - He said he was hoping to be back this season!

I think it was wishful thinking tho - he could barely stand up with the help of crutches, to take photos with my kids.

I mentioned elsewhere on a thread, someone I know spoke to him that day and he mentioned he was aiming for the end of February 2020 - only time will tell

But imagine bringing him back in the form he was in for the last months of the season

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I mentioned elsewhere on a thread, someone I know spoke to him that day and he mentioned he was aiming for the end of February 2020 - only time will tell

But imagine bringing him back in the form he was in for the last months of the season

ACL’s tend to be 6-9 months (in the world of professional sport) with most taking the 9 months.  The tear v rupture might be a good sign, but it’s still a long recovery.

Would be great if it was Feb 2020, but unlikely you’d think.

https://www.medicinenet.com/torn_acl/article.htm

Rehabilitation physical therapy and exercise program is often suggested to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstrings before surgery. It may take six to nine months to return to full activity after surgery to reconstruct an ACL injury.

The first three weeks concentrate on gradually increasing knee range of motion in a controlled way. The new ligament needs time to heal and care is taken not to rip the graft. The goal is to have the knee capable of being fully extended and flexing to 90 degrees.

By week six, the knee should have full range of motion and a stationary bicycle or stair-climber can be used to maintain range of motion and begin strengthening exercises of the surrounding muscles.

The next four to six months is used to restore knee function to what it was before the injury. Strength, agility, and the ability to recognize the position of the knee are increased under the guidance of the physical therapist and surgeon. There is a balance between exercising too hard and not doing enough to rehabilitate the knee and the team approach of patient and therapist is useful

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What's the contract situation at the moment? Is he still technically on loan to us? I.e. if he was fit, in say, April, could we use him for the last six or seven games? 

Yes, still on loan to us.  Be nice to get an update from club on how he’s doing.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, still on loan to us.  Be nice to get an update from club on how he’s doing.

Trouble is with that, would we have to wait for the say so from stoke? It seemed to take an age for the injury to be announced because for that reason.

Only had to see the rapport he had with Kasey Palmer to know that he was enjoying his time with us.  Scoring goals at the centre of the team and had already won the fans over.

It's a bad ACL record for a relatively young man but let's not write him off - it would be fantasitic to see him back and playing for us again.

Good debate ? re BO  We had an option to buy him and I hope that option will still be on the table end of the season. Perhaps may depend where we are heading. Still a championship side ? I suspect a deal could still be done fitness permitting but I do not think any club would sign if a doubt re his recovery. Such a shame what happened as he made us look so much more of a threat. 
I guess depending on what exactly they did to the knee there’s a chance he might be back this season which would be an amazing boost 

26 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Only had to see the rapport he had with Kasey Palmer to know that he was enjoying his time with us.  Scoring goals at the centre of the team and had already won the fans over.

It's a bad ACL record for a relatively young man but let's not write him off - it would be fantasitic to see him back and playing for us again.

Has Callum Wilson not also had 3 himself? He’s still scoring goals and England call-ups so maybe Afobe can come back as strong

3 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Good debate ? re BO  We had an option to buy him and I hope that option will still be on the table end of the season. Perhaps may depend where we are heading. Still a championship side ? I suspect a deal could still be done fitness permitting but I do not think any club would sign if a doubt re his recovery. Such a shame what happened as he made us look so much more of a threat. 
I guess depending on what exactly they did to the knee there’s a chance he might be back ? 

Reading some ACL articles, it seems that surgery is the only option (which was obviously the route Benik took), and then it’s whether you use patella tendon or hamstring to replace the torn or ruptured ACL.  Stitching a tear doesn’t seem to be an option.  Anecdotally using patella is less likely to read-occur, using hamstring gets you back quicker.  That was what I was told, but some years ago.  When I had mine done, I don’t think hamstring was even an option.  The other issue with using the hamstring is the risk of hamstring strains (kinda obvious I guess).

What we don’t know is whether the surgery included sorting out any cartilage (meniscus) issues caused when his knee collapsed.  That adds a complication.

As we all know it’s a major injury, but players do come back from them.  In Benik’s case they have occurred on different legs, so the first one was successful - some 6 years since he did his left one.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

ACL’s tend to be 6-9 months (in the world of professional sport) with most taking the 9 months.  The tear v rupture might be a good sign, but it’s still a long recovery.

Would be great if it was Feb 2020, but unlikely you’d think.

https://www.medicinenet.com/torn_acl/article.htm

Rehabilitation physical therapy and exercise program is often suggested to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstrings before surgery. It may take six to nine months to return to full activity after surgery to reconstruct an ACL injury.

The first three weeks concentrate on gradually increasing knee range of motion in a controlled way. The new ligament needs time to heal and care is taken not to rip the graft. The goal is to have the knee capable of being fully extended and flexing to 90 degrees.

By week six, the knee should have full range of motion and a stationary bicycle or stair-climber can be used to maintain range of motion and begin strengthening exercises of the surrounding muscles.

The next four to six months is used to restore knee function to what it was before the injury. Strength, agility, and the ability to recognize the position of the knee are increased under the guidance of the physical therapist and surgeon. There is a balance between exercising too hard and not doing enough to rehabilitate the knee and the team approach of patient and therapist is useful

Hopefully that's a Joe Public time frame. The care he will get will far surpass what most could expect. Access to all sorts of therapies, oxygen chambers. You name it. 

9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Hopefully that's a Joe Public time frame. The care he will get will far surpass what most could expect. Access to all sorts of therapies, oxygen chambers. You name it. 

Double edged sword CR....better access to recovery technology - tick, but on the flip-side got to attain a higher level of recovery than Joe Public.

I’ve never heard the professional world of football ever say anything other than 6-9 months, and if we are talking about being back playing, it’s always the far side of the 6-9 month estimate, not the 6 months side.

Lets hope Benik is the exception!

1 hour ago, otib118 said:

Has Callum Wilson not also had 3 himself? He’s still scoring goals and England call-ups so maybe Afobe can come back as strong

Was going to use this same example. Though I would guess it depends on our situation when he comes back fit. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Reading some ACL articles, it seems that surgery is the only option (which was obviously the route Benik took), and then it’s whether you use patella tendon or hamstring to replace the torn or ruptured ACL.  Stitching a tear doesn’t seem to be an option.  Anecdotally using patella is less likely to read-occur, using hamstring gets you back quicker.  That was what I was told, but some years ago.  When I had mine done, I don’t think hamstring was even an option.  The other issue with using the hamstring is the risk of hamstring strains (kinda obvious I guess).

What we don’t know is whether the surgery included sorting out any cartilage (meniscus) issues caused when his knee collapsed.  That adds a complication.

As we all know it’s a major injury, but players do come back from them.  In Benik’s case they have occurred on different legs, so the first one was successful - some 6 years since he did his left one.

I just had a leg brace for months and physio. But then, I was a pub footballer, not a professional.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I just had a leg brace for months and physio. But then, I was a pub footballer, not a professional.

....and how long before you were back playing?

Had mine done privately, spent hours each day (even overnight) attached a machine that flexed my knee back and forth, turning it up a degree or two over a period.  The. Physio sessions coupled with my own exercises.  Wobble boards, bit in the bike, etc, before about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule i was gonna start light running.  I hadn’t lost any muscle.  Then I got fluid on it, and had to stop doing anything.  I was out about 18 months, and when I did come back, my confidence was shot.  As a CB, I couldn’t contemplate making a block tackle, so played up top....big target man!!  I did go back to CB in time, but I spent my final 3-3 1/2 seasons playing a few, missing a few, sub for a few, repeat, repeat....as I gradually knackered the other knee.  Stopped at 31.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and how long before you were back playing?

Never, but then I was 36 and thinking of packing it in anyway as I was the oldest in the team by 8 years and I couldn't stand the pre--match Drum & Bass. 

It means I still carry the ligament tear, but that gives me a good excuse never to run anywhere. :laughcont:

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Never, but then I was 36 and thinking of packing it in anyway as I was the oldest in the team by 8 years and I couldn't stand the pre--match Drum & Bass. 

It means I still carry the ligament tear, but that gives me a good excuse never to run anywhere. :laughcont:

Ah ok, thought you were suggesting you were back playing double quick ?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I ruptered my ACL when I was 30, had the hamstring replacement and was back playing rugby after 6 months. Although not as much wear and tear as kicking a football I was fly half so still a lot of kicking during the game. With professional fitness regimes he could be back before the end of the season.

Archived