IGNORED

Benik Afobe Updates

Swede

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

IMG-20200121-WA0001.jpg

That is very encouraging for a few reasons. Firstly, he's obviously getting closer to a return, and that can only be a good thing for us. This in turn could also see the return to form of Palmer, who looked a much better player playing in the team with Benik.

It's also nice to see that we have a player on loan, who is itching to get back on the pitch for us. After the injury and the personal tragedy that he and his family have gone through, you really couldn't blame him if he just turned around and said "to hell with it, life's to short I want to spend as much time as possible with my family" and walked away from the game.

Just have to hope that he doesn't come back too early (he's been through the injury/recuperation for this before, so he would know when he's ready), and that he finds some of the form that he had before the injury. For him though, he seems happy here, appreciated, and the support he has been given over the past few months has been great. 

He didn't seem happy before he came here, and his form wasn't good. Happy player usually equals good form.

You just have to hope the Johnson isn't pinning all his hopes on Benik coming back soon, and hitting form straight away. If he does, then we're unlikely to see anybody else come through the door up front this month....

I reckon we may be bringing in one striker. Loan out Semenyo and hope Afobe comes back ready to make it 4 strikers competing.

We have Marley Watkins as another option too so enough depth maybe if Afobe comes back well.

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

IMG-20200121-WA0001.jpg

It's worth letting everyone know that this pic came from a series of stories Benik shared. Basically a team from the club are walking up every flight of stairs in Ashton Gate today in aid of research at the Bristol Children's Hospital into the same liver disease that Benik's daughter died from. The club have tweeted a link as below.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I reckon we may be bringing in one striker. Loan out Semenyo and hope Afobe comes back ready to make it 4 strikers competing.

We have Marley Watkins as another option too so enough depth maybe if Afobe comes back well.

Agreed.

Bearing in mind that we are currently the 5th highest scorers in the division (shared with Fulham).

Shoring up the defending is arguably a bigger priority.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed.

Bearing in mind that we are currently the 5th highest scorers in the division (shared with Fulham).

Shoring up the defending is arguably a bigger priority.

Yep. But I'd say it's no coincidence we have kept 2 clean sheets now when going back to 1 up top.

Just now, Simon bristol said:

Yes, and signing someone to be an upgrade on fam is going to be a andre grey/ dwight gayle signing which we cant stretch to... nakhi wells can score goals, but not many more than fam.

It's his movement too though, it can offer something different.

Wells up top on his own or Fam. Both can do lone role.

Weimann doesn't seem to be able to do that role. Well, we've seen very little of it. But not seen anything to suggest he can.

He doesn't like having ball with back to goal. He loves running out wide.

So if we sign Wells then we have Wells or Diedhiou as lone striker options. Or Wells and Weimann as partnership option.

Just not keen on the Fam and Weimann combination. Not sure Diedhiou and Wells would work either.

59 minutes ago, Gazred said:

The blokes going to get one hell of a standing ovation the next time he walks out at the Gate that's for sure.

I just got goosebumps thinking about that! I nearly stood up at work and started applauding Benik!

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

The blokes going to get one hell of a standing ovation the next time he walks out at the Gate that's for sure.

I loved the early season videos with Afobe and Kasey Palmer messing about. It was so obvious that spirits were high and no surprise that they had clicked on the pitch.

After a nightmare that I can't even begin to comprehend, we need Benik to play for us again. It won't bring his beautiful daughter back but we can show him just how much we care. I have never, never wanted a footballer to succeed again so much.

On 29/10/2019 at 18:24, Swede said:

Thanks for the pendants amongst us for pointing out a 40 plus year old mistake. I must do better. ( I won't say the correct year just in case it encourages more pendantary!)

All joking (and pendants, we mustn't forget the pendants) aside has anyone got any updates on him?

Of all the words to spell incorrectly ... ????- would it make me a pedant to point out it’s ‘pedantry’ .... probably...

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Of all the words to spell incorrectly ... ????- would it make me a pedant to point out it’s ‘pedantry’ .... probably...

Yeah but please note he’s talking about pendants - is those of us swinging from the light fittings.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not so much difference when your midfield only knows how to pass backwards and sideways.

Due to the lack of movement in front of them maybe ?

Anyway, to back up KITR stats (league only);

Diedhiou;
Minutes played   1616
Goals scored       7
Goal every            231 minutes

Wells;
Minutes played   1617
Goals scored       13
Goal every            124 minutes

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Due to the lack of movement in front of them maybe ?

Anyway, to back up KITR stats (league only);

Diedhiou;
Minutes played   1616
Goals scored       7
Goal every            231 minutes

Wells;
Minutes played   1617
Goals scored       13
Goal every            124 minutes

I think Wells goals/minutes ratio is the best of any of the top scorers in the division. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think Wells goals/minutes ratio is the best of any of the top scorers in the division. 

Correct;

Mitrovic;
Minutes played   2330
Goals scored       18
Goal every            129 minutes

Watkins;
Minutes played   2518
Goals scored       18
Goal every            140 minutes

Bowen;
Minutes played   2520
Goals scored       16
Goal every            158 minutes

Grabban;
Minutes played   2299
Goals scored       15
Goal every            153 minutes

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What's QPR's "expected goals" compared to ours? Cos if they're creating 10 times the chances we are...

Well, they probably are - thanks to his movement up front, sadly lacking in our own team.

Archived