Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Swede

Benik Afobe Updates

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

He won't be able to play one of those ten either (unless we buy him in January)

Oh really? Does his loan terminate at the end of April then? Is this a case of "when is a season-long loan not a season-long loan"?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/afobe-joins-city-on-season-long-loan/

Edit: ignore me, realised you're talking about the Stoke game.

Edited by ExiledAjax

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Oh really? Does his loan terminate at the end of April then? Is this a case of "when is a season-long loan not a season-long loan"?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/afobe-joins-city-on-season-long-loan/

He means the game against Stoke

• Like 1

I just hope we’re not solely relying on him being back in March & don’t go about trying to sign a quality forward in January because of this expectant date.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

He means the game against Stoke

Yeh. It's still early morning where I live so I'm blaming the coffee for not kicking in yet.

Just now, Tipps69 said:

I just hope we’re not solely relying on him being back in March & don’t go about trying to sign a quality forward in January because of this expectant date.

Tipps I reckon you're going to be disappointed.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

image.png.0357a20366c6a631d30b559e3dfa8f98.png

Those 10 final games currently scheduled for March, April and May. Obviously an awful lot can change between now and Fulham at home - but that is not an easy final 10. 6 at home though...although it's questionable whether that's actually an advantage.

Brutal!

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Brutal!

To be honest, it reflects this league, you could probably easily replace those 10 clubs with 10 others and feel the same way.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

He won't be able to play one of those ten either (unless we buy him in January)

Is he not still on loan with us until the end of the season?

If not Stoke cancel his contract and we take him on as an unregistered player

• Like 1

For the story to suggest he may be back in March, it does suggest a tear, rather than a rupture, and perhaps little other damage, e.g. cartilage / meniscus, either.  That is good news (if true)....especially for Benik himself.

It would be good to think he does come back for a few / several games, if nothing else, but to prove it’s worth activating the option to buy.

Assuming we don’t get promoted (of course I hope we do), it would be great going into the summer knowing a striker target is on the cards at a really sensible fee.  Chasing strikers is not easy, and it’s obvious Benik would like to stay here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Pretty sure it was mentioned we can terminate the loan deal in January. Surely we would take that up if we have the option and move on. Maybe look at him in the Summer.

I think it has to be mutually agreed with Stoke.  Would imagine Stoke would be happy to let it run to the summer and City continue to subsidise wages for a player who is not gonna get many games in.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2019 at 18:24, Swede said:

Thanks for the pendants amongst us for pointing out a 40 plus year old mistake. I must do better. ( I won't say the correct year just in case it encourages more pendantary!)

All joking (and pendants, we mustn't forget the pendants) aside has anyone got any updates on him?

Paul Cheesley is going well and could be at the next home game!

Pedantry rules ok!

This from Palmer's instagram. Afobe out of the brace, off crutches, and messing about playing football with what looks like a ball pit ball. Positive news I guess? 

As an aside - good to see him smiling.

Screenshot_20200106-123331.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

kThis from Palmer's instagram. Afobe out of the brace, off crutches, and messing about playing football with what looks like a ball pit ball. Positive news I guess? 

As an aside - good to see him smiling.

Screenshot_20200106-123331.png

Blimey, at first read I thought you'd said  'pit bull' 

Anyway speedy recovery wished for Benik Afobe .

1 minute ago, WhistleHappy said:

Blimey, at first read I thought you'd said  'pit bull' 

Anyway speedy recovery wished for Benik Afobe .

Take your time Benik. Physically and mentally you have a lot to cope with. There is more to life than football.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Prob 2 months away at least 

but a good sign never the less

Of course, not suggesting he'll be back soon. Just keeping this thread going with a little bit of good news.

• Like 2

Cant get a link of the video but if people wanna see it then its benik afobe story on instagram 

Shows his and palmer at a soft play centre and hes has no knee brace and he is doing step overs and drag backs with a little plastic ball cheeky little celebration at end with the caption the afobe comeback is on🔥🔥

I know its not on grass or even with a proper football but progress is looking good

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Him and Nketiah are gonna blast us to Europa League.

Palmer gonna make a sexy attacking triangle 45 assists.

37 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Him and Nketiah are gonna blast us to Europa League.

Europa league end of this season?🤔

26 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Bloody hell. Imagine a fully fit Afobe upfront with Nketiah with Palmer just behind 🔥

Exactly what I was thinking, though having the feeling that the Nketiah deal may have died.

We also need to be there or thereabouts heading towards the end of the season and some arses are going to have to be kicked to make that happen.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

What I loved about the video and a couple of pictures I saw is how happy he and his wife appeared.

Very brave people to  be able to try and push on.

They must be so mentally strong and can’t respect them enough.

Ran out of likes but yes, absolutely. What a strong family unit they must be.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Meh said:

What I loved about the video and a couple of pictures I saw is how happy he and his wife appeared.

I thought exactly the same thing. I have 2 children myself and could never imagine the pain they have both gone through and personally I don't think I could ever find myself in a happy place again. Just goes to show the mental strength and attitude of the man which is part of the reason he slotted in so well here. Would love to see Benik in a city shirt again, what a truly unbelievable and inspiring man. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Can't really see him being much impact on our season, he won't be match fit in time to have any real impact. That type of injury takes about 8-9 months to heal and then he has to build up match fitness. We need to replace him rather than banking on him being our saviour in the run in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meh said:

100%. The two of them, Palmer and his girlfriend, all having lunch together and their kids playing together. And some people had the balls to say Palmer had a stinking attitude, was disruptive, bad lifestyle etc etc.........

• Like 7

9 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Can't really see him being much impact on our season, he won't be match fit in time to have any real impact. That type of injury takes about 8-9 months to heal and then he has to build up match fitness. We need to replace him rather than banking on him being our saviour in the run in. 

I believe he will be back by middle of March so could well have a massive say in our position in the league!! 

Edited by Gratz260689

Afobe extra time winner after being put clean through by KP45. The dream.

2 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Just imagine we make the play offs n we get to the final, could it happen?

• Aubergine 1

Just now, RedEyez said:

Afobe extra time winner after being put clean through by KP45. The dream.

You and me brother, same page, I like you

23 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

I believe he will be back by middle of March so could well have a massive say in our position in the league!! 

Then add another month to get fit, not really something to place our hopes on. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Then add another month to get fit, not really something to place our hopes on. 

The boost of having him around the squad would give players and fans that little extra tho even not 100% fit 

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

IMG-20200121-WA0001.jpg

That is very encouraging for a few reasons. Firstly, he's obviously getting closer to a return, and that can only be a good thing for us. This in turn could also see the return to form of Palmer, who looked a much better player playing in the team with Benik.

It's also nice to see that we have a player on loan, who is itching to get back on the pitch for us. After the injury and the personal tragedy that he and his family have gone through, you really couldn't blame him if he just turned around and said "to hell with it, life's to short I want to spend as much time as possible with my family" and walked away from the game.

Just have to hope that he doesn't come back too early (he's been through the injury/recuperation for this before, so he would know when he's ready), and that he finds some of the form that he had before the injury. For him though, he seems happy here, appreciated, and the support he has been given over the past few months has been great. 

He didn't seem happy before he came here, and his form wasn't good. Happy player usually equals good form.

You just have to hope the Johnson isn't pinning all his hopes on Benik coming back soon, and hitting form straight away. If he does, then we're unlikely to see anybody else come through the door up front this month....

• Like 4

I reckon we may be bringing in one striker. Loan out Semenyo and hope Afobe comes back ready to make it 4 strikers competing.

We have Marley Watkins as another option too so enough depth maybe if Afobe comes back well.

• Like 1

The blokes going to get one hell of a standing ovation the next time he walks out at the Gate that's for sure.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

IMG-20200121-WA0001.jpg

It's worth letting everyone know that this pic came from a series of stories Benik shared. Basically a team from the club are walking up every flight of stairs in Ashton Gate today in aid of research at the Bristol Children's Hospital into the same liver disease that Benik's daughter died from. The club have tweeted a link as below.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

The blokes going to get one hell of a standing ovation the next time he walks out at the Gate that's for sure.

It will be a very emotional time too

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I reckon we may be bringing in one striker. Loan out Semenyo and hope Afobe comes back ready to make it 4 strikers competing.

We have Marley Watkins as another option too so enough depth maybe if Afobe comes back well.

Agreed.

Bearing in mind that we are currently the 5th highest scorers in the division (shared with Fulham).

Shoring up the defending is arguably a bigger priority.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

It will be a very emotional time too

I for one can't wait for that day. Not just for Bristol City, but also for Benik Afobe, he deserves it.

• Like 6