IGNORED

Man U v Liverpool

22A

So this weekend Liverpool play Manchester United.
In each of the last few seasons Sky Sports have given this fixture a massive build up only for it to be a dull 0-0 draw. Today, a "studio expert" has declared this to be "one of football's oldest rivalries".
If he was such an expert he'd know that the Lancashire pair Bolton and Accrington were playing league matches against one another before Manchester United and Liverpool were even formed.

8 minutes ago, 22A said:
In each of the last few seasons Sky Sports have given this fixture a massive build up only for it to be a dull 0-0 draw. Today, a "studio expert" has declared this to be "one of football's oldest rivalries".
If he was such an expert he'd know that the Lancashire pair Bolton and Accrington were playing league matches against one another before Manchester United and Liverpool were even formed.

You quoted him saying “one of the oldest rivalries” so he is correct,if he said the oldest rivals then I would understand your point,I will be washing my 5 strands of hair when that game is on 

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Would rather watch Countryfile (assuming it's still on TV on a Sunday)

It is.  And this Sunday it's coming from the Forest of Dean so will be showing off indisputably the best place* in the world.

*However, I've not been to Swindon for a long time

32 minutes ago, 22A said:

You should know by now 22A that this doesn't count, as proper football records only started with the formation of the premier league.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You should know by now 22A that this doesn't count, as proper football records only started with the formation of the premier league.

True. 

I wonder why the same people refer to "Championship history" as anything in the second tier since, well, forever?

They don't mean since it replaced Endsleigh/Coca Cola DIVISION 1, or whatever it was called before. 

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I guess he means the hatred from a real local Derby will never compare to teams from another city 

I have been to a few games and the hatred between the fans is second to none which i have witnessed. 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

See so have I and I thought this isn’t anywhere the hatred the Bristol Derby has had over the years 

Certainly the Bristol derby was bad years ago but its certainly nowhere near that now.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

It may not be the oldest football rivalry, but the rivalry between the two cities is very long standing and is a very political one. In the late 1800's Manchester had cotton mills desperate for raw materials which were coming in through the port of Liverpool. The Liverpool merchants kept pushing up the prices of bringing in the cargo to the point that the mill owners clubbed together to build the Manchester Ship Canal to take the Liverpool port out of the equation. The canal was built mainly by Irish workers known as Navigators (navvies), part of the reason for the large Irish influence in Liverpool to this day, and there were many fights between workers throughout the dispute and the period of canal being built. There are a few football rivalries that transcend the game itself, and this is one of them.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Totally agree with the point you’re making but my inner pedant has to point out that the Bolton / Accrington rivalry was short lived as Accrington FC were dissolved in 1896 (and Accrington Stanley, a separate team who were formerly a rival of Accrington FC, didn’t join the league until 1921). 

24 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Totally agree with the point you’re making but my inner pedant has to point out that the Bolton / Accrington rivalry was short lived as Accrington FC were dissolved in 1896 (and Accrington Stanley, a separate team who were formerly a rival of Accrington FC, didn’t join the league until 1921). 

Very good point so makes the first Liverpool Man United (after small heath) game in 1903 or 4 a older rivalry 

Archived