IGNORED

Man U v Liverpool

22A

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Very good point so makes the first Liverpool Man United (after small heath) game in 1903 or 4 a older rivalry 

It does, but any two from Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley would be an older rivalry. 

Didn’t intend to come across as a smart-arse (and as said before, I get the point that 22A was making in the original post). 

13 minutes ago, North London Red said:

It does, but any two from Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley would be an older rivalry. 

Didn’t intend to come across as a smart-arse (and as said before, I get the point that 22A was making in the original post). 

You didn’t come across as that mate anyway you made the point that Liverpool man united have played non stop for a lot longer than Bolton and Accy ever did which is correct

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

See so have I and I thought this isn’t anywhere the hatred the Bristol Derby has had over the years

It’s a strange one as I don’t particularly rate it as a “Derby”.

You don’t really get the hatred at the games due to too many tourists and not enough born and bred locals in the stadiums.

However they really do hate each other - even beyond football. There will be plenty of scraps in Manchester City centre come Sunday evening. 
The fact that united fans preference was that Manchester City won the league last season says it all really, because they are not overly fond of them either! But the idea of the title being in Liverpool and not Manchester didn’t bare thinking about for most of them. Can you imagine wanting rovers to win something so that another team didn’t?

9 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It’s a strange one as I don’t particularly rate it as a “Derby”.

You don’t really get the hatred at the games due to too many tourists and not enough born and bred locals in the stadiums.

However they really do hate each other - even beyond football. There will be plenty of scraps in Manchester City centre come Sunday evening. 
The fact that united fans preference was that Manchester City won the league last season says it all really, because they are not overly fond of them either! But the idea of the title being in Liverpool and not Manchester didn’t bare thinking about for most of them. Can you imagine wanting rovers to win something so that another team didn’t?

But that is all to do with title wins,when Man City catch up you can bet your bottom dollar they will hate them more

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It may not be the oldest football rivalry, but the rivalry between the two cities is very long standing and is a very political one. In the late 1800's Manchester had cotton mills desperate for raw materials which were coming in through the port of Liverpool. The Liverpool merchants kept pushing up the prices of bringing in the cargo to the point that the mill owners clubbed together to build the Manchester Ship Canal to take the Liverpool port out of the equation. The canal was built mainly by Irish workers known as Navigators (navvies), part of the reason for the large Irish influence in Liverpool to this day, and there were many fights between workers throughout the dispute and the period of canal being built. There are a few football rivalries that transcend the game itself, and this is one of them.

They were saying this in the pubs of Guildford last night. 

I've been to this fixture on a number of occasions, both at Anfield and Old Trafford. Perhaps it's because i don't support either but it's never felt like much of derby to me. It's a bit like the Anfield atmosphere myth, it's bigged up so much but in reality, aside from those special moments (albeit they've had a few in recent years), it's pretty terrible. 

The pubs of Bristol are more hostile than either ground when these games are on. 

4 hours ago, City oz said:

D - how can a Bristolian be a die hard Liverpool or Man U  fan ?? If you are a Bristolian  you are only Red or Gas.

If all their family are from Liverpool or Manchester. Or if they were brought up as a Liverpool or Man U fan.
Not sure it's your decision to make.

Archived