IGNORED

Too good to go down?

Negan

After reading Graeme Jones comments about us pre match being “one of the best teams in the league”, along with several other managers/players/pundits so far this season sharing that opinion. Are we now in the category of too good to go down? Now this obviously doesn’t mean it’s impossible for us to be relegated but would we now be a “shock” team to be in the bottom 3? 

For the first time, since Gary Johnson’s time at the club, and now our 2nd stint in the championship, as a club, we are one of the big boys in the championship in my opinion. We’re not a club where other teams look at us as a “should probably win” game, where as 2 years ago I think most clubs in the league looked at us as a probable 3 points. We’ve got to the point where most people at the beginning of the season have Bristol City in their top 10 predictions rather than bottom 10. 

Lee Johnson has taken this club to the next level, where I‘m not even concerned at the beginning of the season we’ll be fighting to stay up, and I think he’s the man to take us that step further and get promotion. 
Bristol “too good to go down” City 

Hate to break it to you but...

Pre match, most (if not all) managers will big up the opposition, one of the best teams in the league, false league position etc.

Simply so that if they lose, they can reflect on that after the game and hopefully keep their job.

When was the last time a manager said, 'this lot are dogs eggs, we should be 6 up by half time'!

That said, I do think we are seen as a progressive Championship club, and not an easy game.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pre match, most (if not all) managers will big up the opposition, one of the best teams in the league, false league position etc.

Simply so that if they lose, they can reflect on that after the game and hopefully keep their job.

When was the last time a manager said, 'this lot are dogs eggs, we should be 6 up by half time'!

That said, I do think we are seen as a progressive Championship club, and not an easy game.

I see what you mean but no manager would say “one of the best teams in the league” when talking about Barnsley, Wigan, Hull, Reading, Millwall, Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham, QPR. I think we’ve earned the right now to be called one of the best and it would be a shock to see us struggling. 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I see what you mean but no manager would say “one of the best teams in the league” when talking about Barnsley, Wigan, Hull, Reading, Millwall, Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham, QPR. I think we’ve earned the right now to be called one of the best and it would be a shock to see us struggling. 

“No manager would say ‘one of the best teams in the league’ when talking about .... QPR” - why not? They are currently 3 points from 1st place ....

3 hours ago, Negan said:

After reading Graeme Jones comments about us pre match being “one of the best teams in the league”, along with several other managers/players/pundits so far this season sharing that opinion. Are we now in the category of too good to go down? Now this obviously doesn’t mean it’s impossible for us to be relegated but would we now be a “shock” team to be in the bottom 3? 

For the first time, since Gary Johnson’s time at the club, and now our 2nd stint in the championship, as a club, we are one of the big boys in the championship in my opinion. We’re not a club where other teams look at us as a “should probably win” game, where as 2 years ago I think most clubs in the league looked at us as a probable 3 points. We’ve got to the point where most people at the beginning of the season have Bristol City in their top 10 predictions rather than bottom 10. 

Lee Johnson has taken this club to the next level, where I‘m not even concerned at the beginning of the season we’ll be fighting to stay up, and I think he’s the man to take us that step further and get promotion. 
Bristol “too good to go down” City 

Are we too bad to go up tho

This is part of our infrastructure having changed / developed! We are one of very few clubs in the division that are progressing without that feel that we have that self righteous right!

And goes hand in hand with MA getting the recognition that he’s got!

A lot of the supposed ‘big clubs’ have had to reel themselves back in, we haven’t & it’s noticeable with how we are progressing.

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Spot on. Away managers always trot out football cliche #598  "........... is a tough place to go".

Literally, everywhere is a tough place to go, if you believe them. 

Anyway, we are less than a quarter through the season: 2 points off the top, and 12 from the drop. 

We'd all like to think this means we cannot be in trouble this season, but Lee's seen bad runs come after good starts before. Let's hope those days are gone.

I'm not a pessimist, just a realist.

Archived