IGNORED

Defunct grounds

fanjita

Only 12 - and one of those was for a gig.

I used to live not far from Plough Lane and one of my memories involves going past the ground on the top deck of a 220 bus, about three years after the Dons relocated.

The ground was stuck in development hell sat that time and the supermarket that had bought it was unable to proceed.

It was never much to look at, but the grass now was above waist height and - amazingly - a branch was sprouting from one of the goal posts!  The "next fixture" posters were still up and the scoreboard read 0-0.  Wish I'd taken a picture, but it was before the days of camera phones.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I used to live not far from Plough Lane and one of my memories involves going past the ground on the top deck of a 220 bus, about three years after the Dons relocated.

The ground was stuck in development hell sat that time and the supermarket that had bought it, was unable to proceed.

It was never much to look at, but the grass now was above waist height and - amazingly - a branch was sprouting from one of the goal posts!  The "next fixture" posters were still up and the scoreboard read 0-0.  Wish I'd taken a picture, but it was before the days of camera phones.

16 for me although I have a feeling I went to Filbert St as a lad, but I haven't included that one. I went to Both the old Brighton grounds, but I don't think the Withdean should really count as it was never really a permanent ground.

23 minutes ago, fanjita said:

At least a dozen of those. My memory not what it was though. Cannot remember if it was Sealand Road or the Deva we ran onto the pitch of when we got promoted from the old Division Four?

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The ground was stuck in development hell sat that time and the supermarket that had bought it, was unable to proceed.

Here she blows Rob...

002.jpg.44389b297d0ebd413adc751b8767a533.jpg

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

At least a dozen of those. My memory not what it was though. Cannot remember if it was Sealand Road or the Deva we ran onto the pitch of when we got promoted from the old Division Four?

Here she blows Rob...

That was when the developers got the green light. I forget how many years it stood there as a ghostly remnant.

It's a load of can't-swing-a-cat apartment buildings now. With a statue of Vinnie Jones where the centre spot once was. ?

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That was when the developers got the green light. I forget how many years it stood there as a ghostly remnant.

It's a load of can't-swing-a-cat apartment buildings now. With a statue of Vinnie Jones where the centre spot once was. ?

According to their web site the new ground is under construction, in Plough Lane. 

https://www.ploughlanestadium.co.uk/#main-2

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

According to their web site the new ground is under construction, in Plough Lane. 

https://www.ploughlanestadium.co.uk/#main-2

Yep, it's a return to the borough and great news for AFCW fans, as Kingsmeadow is a sod to get to and in a horrible part of south-west London. My old mate Hendo is ecstatic/

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Here she blows Rob...

I’m really confused here, I’ve never been to Wimbledon but I thought the stadium in this picture is the Greyhound track? I thought Wimbledon played down the road at a separate stadium which is the one mentioned in the article posted by the OP?

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m really confused here, I’ve never been to Wimbledon but I thought the stadium in this picture is the Greyhound track? I thought Wimbledon played down the road at a separate stadium which is the one mentioned in the article posted by the OP?

They are building their new ground where the greyhounds (and stockcar racing) used to be.  It is still on Plough Lane, maybe a quarter a mile from the old ground. 

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Peter, I am confused to but now its crystallising thanks to your remarks and Robbo's. You are right, I wondered why Plough Lane was circular when i did go there and remembered it as being a rectangle. its the heat. ?

Here is the latest pic from this month..

2022667409_ScreenShot2019-10-19at19_26_22.png.9b2cd90c0781d4f52e2bd5c0e839bfc7.png

It was sad to see the old greyhound stadium go.

You could get ham, egg and chips and a pint there for a fiver.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Peter, I am confused to but not its crystallising thanks to your remarks. You are right, I wondered why Plough Lane was circular when i did go there and remembered it as being a rectangle. its the heat. ?

Here is the latest pic from this month..

2022667409_ScreenShot2019-10-19at19_26_22.png.9b2cd90c0781d4f52e2bd5c0e839bfc7.png

I can remember pictures of Plough Lane being quite a small, modest ground with open terracing behind the goal. Sadly I never had the chance to go so I wondered if the more impressive sized Greyhound Stadium had been built on the site of the FCs ground after the Dons left? 

Great to hear that Wimbledon are going ‘home’ back to Plough Lane. May well get the chance to visit this time.

This run down, derelict dump used to be home to some 3rd rate (at best) football team in some North Bristol slum. 
I’m not sure when it was last fit to host professional football matches though. 
I did take a peak through the gates and it now appears to be home to some sort of camping convention or travellers site. 

0428F958-8841-4CDB-9DD1-E3E4A6B9DDDD.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I visit a ground, it closes. :noexp:

21 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I saw Rushden and Diamonds v Cheltenham so my proud record is extended. I’ve also been to White Hart Lane. I must watch a football match at the Mem ...

Hurry up and take one for the team. Sure we'll all have a whip round for you!!

You could even close your eyes so you don't have to see it....

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This run down, derelict dump used to be home to some 3rd rate (at best) football team in some North Bristol slum. 
I’m not sure when it was last fit to host professional football matches though. 
I did take a peak through the gates and it now appears to be home to some sort of camping convention or travellers site. 

0428F958-8841-4CDB-9DD1-E3E4A6B9DDDD.jpeg

Jesus...I'm surprised that dump gets a safety certificate with all those wooden fence panels around it. 

33 for me. I never did get to Plough Lane, but I did head there to watch City once! My boss was a City fan and at about lunchtime he suddenly said he fancied going to Wimbledon that night (I think it may have been an FA Cup replay) He wanted company , and a free half day , even if it meant watching City, seemed a good deal. Halfway up the M4 he changed his mind when he realised Spurs (his other team) were playing Villa so we went there instead, his reasoning being that City would get beat anyway. Spurs lost, City won and I never got to tick off Plough Lane!

Archived