IGNORED

Defunct grounds

fanjita

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Elm park had some atmosphere unlike the new ground.

Especially when you were standing in the enclosure being bombarded with concrete from the visiting supporters (until TC asked that it stop). You bastards; you know who you are. :noexp:

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

26 for me, all with City.

Is it a bit out of date though? No Upton Park.

I closed that one too. 

18 for me.

Northampton's old place was a joke of a ground.

It had "stands" around three sides, the remaining side blended in with the cricket ground !!

We were forced to watch the game inside a disgraceful cage (this was pre Hillsborough of course).

I think we had two sent off that day and lost 2-0. Such was the misery of the day that the piss taking of the ground was the highlight.

After yet another terrible decision by the ref, some wag piped up "Oi, that's bollocks umpire... I mean ref !!!"

4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

18 for me.

It had "stands" around three sides, the remaining side blended in with the cricket ground !!

We were forced to watch the game inside a disgraceful cage (this was pre Hillsborough of course).

I think we had two sent off that day and lost 2-0. Such was the misery of the day that the piss taking of the ground was the highlight.

After yet another terrible decision by the ref, some wag piped up "Oi, that's bollocks umpire... I mean ref !!!"

IIRC they used the football pitch for parking for the cricket and it was like concrete when the season started. Also I think NCCC had first call on the ground early and late season so the football club had to rearrange loads of games so`s not to clash.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Only 12 - and one of those was for a gig.

I used to live not far from Plough Lane and one of my memories involves going past the ground on the top deck of a 220 bus, about three years after the Dons relocated.

The ground was stuck in development hell sat that time and the supermarket that had bought it was unable to proceed.

It was never much to look at, but the grass now was above waist height and - amazingly - a branch was sprouting from one of the goal posts!  The "next fixture" posters were still up and the scoreboard read 0-0.  Wish I'd taken a picture, but it was before the days of camera phones.

You seen Plough Lane 3 years after Wimbledon stopped playing there? The grass was above waist height and a branch was sprouting from one of the goal posts? Sounds to me like the groundsman was belatedly taking some pride in his work.

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You seen Plough Lane 3 years after Wimbledon stopped playing there? The grass was above waist height and a branch was sprouting from one of the goal posts? Sounds to me like the groundsman was belatedly taking some pride in his work.

It was a jungle, although from a bus a bit hard to measure. That's a guesstimate. 

I note from @havanatopia's pictures, the saplings at the goals seem to have turned into mature trees by the time the ground was flattened. 

45 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

18 for me.

I went to that game. The stand was a ruin and our area resembled something from Stalag Luft VII.

To cap it all, we got back to car, to find it had a flat tyre...goddammit!

50 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's Wimbledon Stadium, not the footie ground.

Strike that one from Spud, and add me two for White Hart Lane and Upton Park.

Doh! Without looking I'm sure Wimbledon Don's road at Plough lane...

Upton Park and White Hart lane are also another two I've been too. Probably more that I can't think of...went to Juventus old ground if that counts :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Common sense the goalposts wouldnt be there 3 years after they left.

Was a nice story though.

Here's Plough Lane. You go past it on Durnsford Rd, where you can see those houses. H posted Wimbledon Greyhound stadium which was also in Plough Lane, but further down. I lived there for 13 years. I know the area. And yes it remained untouched for years. See picture below. Safeways bought it, failed to get PP and it wasn't developed for 14 years.

Image result for wimbledon fc ground plough lane

Image result for wimbledon fc ground plough lane

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Cool if you lived in the richest area in london sw19 is it?

No need to tell me.

Cant see any goalposts in the pictures you posted?

If you could see them from a bus i find it odd no fans took them.

Just strikes me as odd!

Your stalking of my posts strikes everyone as odd.

Yes, I lived there for much of the time I lived in London. My original board name here was SW19 Red. Not everyone in the post code is a millionaire you know.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

26 for me, all with City.

Is it a bit out of date though? No Upton Park.

It isn't supposed to be a definitive list, a couple of the grounds on there were never even ever league grounds, it's just one of those random clickbait things, but for once, a quite interesting one ( well for us ground nerds anyway!)

Archived