IGNORED

Defunct grounds

fanjita

19 for me - 15 with City - from the highs of Wembley for the FT in 1985 to the lows of writing to the football league about the abysmal view for away fans at the old Northampton Ground. Happy days...but as other have observed - no wonder I am no longer anywhere near the 92!

21 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They are building their new ground where the greyhounds (and stockcar racing) used to be.  It is still on Plough Lane, maybe a quarter a mile from the old ground. 

I went to plough land in the late 70's and it had big open terrace for the away fans. The photos above are of the old speedway/greyhound stadium which was a couple of miles away. My attached photo is of plough lane

IMG_2967.JPG

32 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I went to plough land in the late 70's and it had big open terrace for the away fans. The photos above are of the old speedway/greyhound stadium which was a couple of miles away. My attached photo is of plough lane

IMG_2967.JPG

Exactly. It was a bit like the Mem without the tents and B&Q furniture.

I paid my first ever visit to Twerton Park this year, and it reminded me of the old Plough Lane ground.

Cheap n' cheeful. A bloke was barbecuing and selling sausages actually on the back tier of one of the terraces.

Wimbledon Stadium, where they did the stock cars, greyhounds and speedway, by contrast, was a proper little stadium, with full cover and all seats.

I was surprised it closed tbh as it always got big crowds for the dogs.

That away end was big and quite steep and remember looking over the back at a massive Schweppes bottle factory. As you say the rest of the ground was like the Mem strange little stands and a high roof on the home end but the speedway/greyhound stadium in its day was quite decent just like the old white city stadium was

6 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

The Wikipedia entry for Plough Lane is a bit harsh!

Opened Sep. 1912

Closed Apr. 1998

DESTROYED  2002

It was an eyesore for yonks. Eventually David Wilson Homes bought it and created the little Lego estate that is there today, but that must be about 2008.

I think Underhill, the old Barnet place, is in the same sorry state.

I remember going to see Somerset in a John Player League game in Bradford and the ground was next door to the old Bradford Park Avenue one. It must have been ten years after they folded but everything was still there (including the goalposts) just rotting slowly into the ground. There were small trees and scrub on the pitch. I imagine it`s been developed now though.

On 19/10/2019 at 12:10, Rudolf Hucker said:

20 for me. God I feel old. 

15 for me, so feeling a little younger ?

Strangely enough I have been to a few of the clubs old grounds but not to the new ones, eg Leicester, Boro. After Luton yesterday I ticked off 60 of the current grounds about two thirds done. 

Edit, plus two as I read the rest of the posts saying about Somerton and Upton Parks.

Good calls regarding other grounds missing from the list. 21 for me from the original list plus Somerton Park= 22 and all with BCFC. Saw speedway at Eastville, Somerton Park and Wembley as well.

What's sad for me is that quite a few years ago I had counted 72 grounds that I had visited with BCFC. My tally has been diminished by 22! It will be 49 grounds visited when Brentford move.

On 20/10/2019 at 02:30, Red-Robbo said:

Here's Plough Lane. You go past it on Durnsford Rd, where you can see those houses. H posted Wimbledon Greyhound stadium which was also in Plough Lane, but further down. I lived there for 13 years. I know the area. And yes it remained untouched for years. See picture below. Safeways bought it, failed to get PP and it wasn't developed for 14 years.

Image result for wimbledon fc ground plough lane

Image result for wimbledon fc ground plough lane

Can’t see Beckham scoring from half way line on that pitch (2nd photo). 31 for me if Newport & West Ham included. It’s the new grounds that present a problem for me living so far away!

Archived