IGNORED

Yeovil Game abandoned.

Red

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not quite sure what fining a club would do, unless they have failed to act on previous incidents and not banned the offenders.  Other than that, how is any club supposed to stop an individual or a group of individuals shouting out anything at a game, they are powerless to act before, only after the event.

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

And neither should they be fined. 

If I shout racist abuse in Tescos, would/should they be fined? 

I agree. It leads you to situations like those seen in Italy and potentially the recent Bulgaria debacle, where clubs are held hostage by criminal racist *******.

However, fining does seem to be something the authorities are keen on.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree. It leads you to situations like those seen in Italy and potentially the recent Bulgaria debacle, where clubs are held hostage by criminal racist *******.

If someone is racist at a football game, not only should they receive lifetime bans, they should also receive considerable punishment by the courts. Maybe then when they see people being jailed, their lives ruined, their names all over the media for being racist will people then think twice about being racist. 

It would be ironic if they were then to share a cell with someone from a different ethnic background to themselves m 

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Fair play to the Haringey players tho. If they were to get to the 1st round proper and pull a big league one club then that would be great for them financially. So for them to give that up to make a stand against racism is applaudable, they had they showed bravery whilst the England players bottled it. 

Don't be silly.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Those UEFA/FA buffets and watches don't pay for themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'm on the fence. I don't necessarily think it is a racist chant and would like a conversation to establish if it is of not.

I wasn't there today, so I don't know in what context these chants were sung so I'm going to just concentrate on the chant rather than it being chanted today.

The question is, is singing a chant that a town is full of Asians racist or not? Or is it something else like Xenophobic etc? 

Apologies for jumping on the defensive. In my opinion, it is racist by virtue of indicating that living in a place that features a lot of people of a different race is something negative and inferior. 

55 minutes ago, RedRobin13 said:

,“Just a small town in Asia” amongst others 

That’s been chanted at Kenilworth Rd by virtually every set of away fans - encouraged no doubt by all the Asians living right next door and easily visible by fans enter the away end.

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Fair play to the Haringey players tho. If they were to get to the 1st round proper and pull a big league one club then that would be great for them financially. So for them to give that up to make a stand against racism is applaudable, they had they showed bravery whilst the England players bottled it. 

But Yeovil shouldn't benefit from the abandonment. If that happens then the racists win, and will no doubt use this tactic again.

1 hour ago, Red said:

Rife, yeah right. Not one fan and there was about 7 or 8 different fans on bbc bristol said they didnt hear a thing. It may have been one drunk bloke doesnt mean its rife. Could also be made up and a lie, stuff was thrown on pitch but racism was made up as that will definitely stop the game, perhaps not but rife pffft please

2 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Rife, yeah right. Not one fan and there was about 7 or 8 different fans on bbc bristol said they didnt hear a thing. It may have been one drunk bloke doesnt mean its rife. Could also be made up and a lie, stuff was thrown on pitch but racism was made up as that will definitely stop the game, perhaps not but rife pffft please

Why wasn’t this drunk idiot arrested and taken away?

Seems very ott if this was the reason they abandoned after conceding the goal.

21 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Your last comment there completely ruined what was a good post. Total pile of shit comment. Who the **** do you think you are to tell players on the receiving end of racist abuse what they should and shouldn’t do?

17 minutes ago, RedRobin13 said:

Apologies for jumping on the defensive. In my opinion, it is racist by virtue of indicating that living in a place that features a lot of people of a different race is something negative and inferior. 

I do agree with you to a certain extent. No doubt for some their singing of the song is absolutely racist.

My understanding is people sing the song as a way to voice their displeasure that some communities have a large variation of differing cultures in this country. The UK is very welcoming to different nationalities and their cultures and that's a good thing. but is it necessarily racist if communities don't want to see their local Identity drastically changed? I personally don't think it has anything to do with skin colour or religion, although racism isn't just limited to them two things.

A lot of Yeovil fans rang in to say that whilst there was a lot of abuse from fans behind the goal and bottles thrown, apparently none of it was racist.

according to callers it was started by the goalkeeper spraying fans behind the goal with his water bottle. I’m going purer on what was covered by the radio but I think there needs to be some evidence before we start throwing a team out of a competition etc. 

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

But Yeovil shouldn't benefit from the abandonment. If that happens then the racists win, and will no doubt use this tactic again.

I agree, Yeovil should be kicked out of the competition and Haringey receive a bye into the 1st round , and those identified as responsible should face life time bans and the force of the law.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I agree, Yeovil should be kicked out of the competition and Haringey receive a bye into the 1st round , and those identified as responsible should face life time bans and the force of the law.

Let’s hope we can find these people.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Your last comment there completely ruined what was a good post. Total pile of shit comment. Who the **** do you think you are to tell players on the receiving end of racist abuse what they should and shouldn’t do?

That's my opinion, I'm not the only way to hold that opinion. Many former black players also said England should have walked off, many also said playing on was right.

For some staying on and playing was the correct thing to do, for others walking off was the correct thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I do agree with you to a certain extent. No doubt for some their singing of the song is absolutely racist.

My understanding is people sing the song as a way to voice their displeasure that some communities have a large variation of differing cultures in this country. The UK is very welcoming to different nationalities and their cultures and that's a good thing. but is it necessarily racist if communities don't want to see their local Identity drastically changed? I personally don't think it has anything to do with skin colour or religion, although racism isn't just limited to them two things.

You started off wanting to discuss the chant in isolation and now seemed to have gone on to discuss the context in which fans are singing the song? In which case the fact it followed chants relating to Tommy Robinson and other racist obscenities suggests to me it is entirely racist.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

That's my opinion, I'm not the only way to hold that opinion. Many former black players also said England should have walked off, many also said playing on was right.

For some staying on and playing was the correct thing to do, for others walking off was the correct thing to do. 

You have blown your own comment out of the water. The fact that the “correct” course of action could not be agreed by everyone proves that the issue is a matter of opinion and how you feel at the time and NOT BOTTLING IT.......

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

That's not the same as saying they bottled it, which I've not heard any former player say.

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Those former black players who said England should have walked off

Are they the same players who walked off every week when they had racial abuse thrown at them when they were playing?

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s not what I said.......but it’s wrong to point the finger of racism at only Bristol City fans - a point obviously lost on you......:facepalm:

I’m pointing the fingers at City fans because they were racist today and this is a City forum? What would you have preferred?

10 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Those former black players who said England should have walked off

Are they the same players who walked off every week when they had racial abuse thrown at them when they were playing?

No they talk bollocks,it’s all very well saying I would do this and that but they never did so they should shut up,first sign of racial abuse towards any player they should walk forget the 3 steps BS that FIFA have set

21 minutes ago, RedRobin13 said:

You started off wanting to discuss the chant in isolation and now seemed to have gone on to discuss the context in which fans are singing the song? In which case the fact it followed chants relating to Tommy Robinson and other racist obscenities suggests to me it is entirely racist.

With due respect you seem like a young un,are you part of the extinction rebellion lot as well 

Archived