IGNORED

Yeovil Game abandoned.

Red

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The latter opens a can of worms IMO, because what is therefore to stop fans of let's say Club X going to a game involving Club Y- he they bitter local rivals, or perhaps more likely a key relegation/promotion or even title rival, and causing an abandonment of disruption with racist chanting or similar.

Club Y gets docked points, due to fans of Club X- who benefit significantly, perhaps even decisively in a relegation/promotion/title battle- or a Cup tie if away fans buy in home end or vice versa especially if major underdogs, or up against a bitter rival.

So it's a hard one and though well intentioned and would send a major message..it isn't without pitfalls either.

It`s the old argument about fans of Club X trying to get the game stopped be it through crowd trouble, pitch invasions or whatever and benefitting as a result. If points were docked then it would happen all the time and that would not solve the problem but only make it worse.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Let me say I have no idea what actually went on , but how come he didn't walk off the moment he heard that, rather than waiting to see if he could save the pen?

1. The keeper did not decide to walk off. The Haringey Manager took the decision to take the team off as he felt the level of abuse was unacceptable and he did not want his players put through it. The decision was taken after the penalty due to the fact that, after the penalty, Haringey’s number six was racially abused and it was his reaction that was the reason the manager decided he wanted his players off, not just the abuse of the keeper

2. The Haringey Manager was also very clear that he does not want Yeovil kicked out the competition. He said the Yeovil manager and players tried to talk to the fans and defuse things and were insistent that they too walked off with the Haringey players in an act of solidarity.

3. The fact Yeovil did the above suggests they too perceived racial abuse was taking place. Whatever went on, it was not just something the goalkeeper heard or chose to act on. Players on both sides were obviously upset by it.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I totally agree with you.

Apologies I'm not sure if I said that if it is found to be racist. 

In my life I've had it where I've called people an insult, something like a knob or whatever yet when it comes to someone from a different ethnic background to myself I will not insult them incase I am accused of being a racist for calling them a knob etc when the reality is I'm calling them a knob simply because I think they are a knob, skin colour or religion has nothing to do with it.

It seems that any act towards a person of a different ethnic background is immediately considered racist, even tho there is no evidence of it being racially motivated. Sorry for going around the bushes with this but yes I agree, we shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions that it was racially motivated unless there is evidence. 

The sad reality is if there was in actual fact no Racism used by Yeovil fans, and this was a white GK, we wouldn't even be talking about a GK being abused as abusing the GK is part and parcel of attending games, no matter their ethnicity.

Similar to the Bernardo silva situation I guess,when he was charged by stating that mendy in his youth looked like a cartoon character on a crisp packet. There's been lookalikes banter going round for years. 

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I totally agree with you.

Apologies I'm not sure if I said that if it is found to be racist. 

In my life I've had it where I've called people an insult, something like a knob or whatever yet when it comes to someone from a different ethnic background to myself I will not insult them incase I am accused of being a racist for calling them a knob etc when the reality is I'm calling them a knob simply because I think they are a knob, skin colour or religion has nothing to do with it.

It seems that any act towards a person of a different ethnic background is immediately considered racist, even tho there is no evidence of it being racially motivated. Sorry for going around the bushes with this but yes I agree, we shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions that it was racially motivated unless there is evidence. 

The sad reality is if there was in actual fact no Racism used by Yeovil fans, and this was a white GK, we wouldn't even be talking about a GK being abused as abusing the GK is part and parcel of attending games, no matter their ethnicity.

See above. The abuse towards the keeper was not the only, or even the main, reason the manager took the players off.

13 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I'm on the fence. I don't necessarily think it is a racist chant and would like a conversation to establish if it is of not.

I wasn't there today, so I don't know in what context these chants were sung so I'm going to just concentrate on the chant rather than it being chanted today.

The question is, is singing a chant that a town is full of Asians racist or not? Or is it something else like Xenophobic etc? 

Assuming they’re ‘Asians’ not British based on the colour of their skin (which is what you are also doing) and chanting that at them in a derogatory way. Yeah pretty clear cut actually 

Archived