IGNORED

Racism at the darts?

Ziderarmy

Just watching Gerwyn Price v Michael Van Gerwen, sections of the crowd are chanting sheep, sheep, sheep sh&£@r at Price who is obviously Welsh.

Is this racist? Banter? Harmless fun? 

Will these darts fans be identified by cctv and banned from future events?  

Double standards? 

8 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Just watching Gerwyn Price v Michael Van Gerwyn, sections of the crowd are chanting sheep, sheep, sheep sh&£@r at Price who is obviously Welsh.

Double standards? 

There's a lot of Gerwyns in there

14 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Just watching Gerwyn Price v Michael Van Gerwen, sections of the crowd are chanting sheep, sheep, sheep sh&£@r at Price who is obviously Welsh.

Double standards? 

Idiot 

42 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

43 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Double standards? 

If you seriously can't differentiate between national rivalry/banter and racism then God help you.

11 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

is it any different to paddy,jock and taff though? or are they swear words now too?

I've heard Paddy get used in a discriminating way but its not quite comparable to racism.

10 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Going to give people the benefit of the doubt here and assume everyone is well meaning.  The difference is hundreds of years of genocide and oppression based on white supremacy.  Context is important. Taunting Welsh people with stereotypes might not be the pinnacle of wit but no, it’s not the same as racist chanting.   

I see what you’re trying to say, but you make it sound like the English never spent years fighting and persecuting the welsh, Scottish or Irish at any point... ‘white supremacy’ is a little blinkered.

28 minutes ago, Torpey'sBigToe said:

If you think that every individual that you might aim a particular term at would all deem it to be banter, as opposed to derogatory, then god help you. 

The thing is mate, I don't aim those terms. I'm half Irish with Welsh family. I can just clearly see the difference.

1 hour ago, Torpey'sBigToe said:

The problem, I think, is that ‘racism’ seems to be defined by abuse of people of a different ethnicity, not nationality. Is that differentiation not in itself racist?

Let me spell this out in language you may understand, given recent events:

1) How often have Asian/black/people of colour folk been the victims of hate or discriminated against for their ethnicity?

2) How often have Welsh people been victims of hate or been discriminated against for their ethnicity?

You're welcome, you can stop pretending to be ignorant now. It’s not funny.

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Double standards? 

I've got an answer for you...

It depends on precedent.

So, it depends on what's gone on before.

Why is the 'n' word so bad? Because it was used during slavery and racist attacks.

Why is the 'p' word so bad? Because it was used by racist aggressors.

Alternatively...

Why is 'pom' not an especially bad word? Well because the English have never been subordinated, attacked or dehumanised by Australians (cricket fans may disagree).

So, when you consider using the word 'taff' or the sheep accusations, just consider first whether there is a current context, or a precedent, that would make the use of the word particularly cruel.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

:D

Parody account surely!

37 minutes ago, !james said:

Context.

These are the sort of people who's Twitter bio says: 

IMG_20191020_210101.jpg

Voted OUT and he's from Brighton...  and before you accuse me of insinuating anything dodgy, I've said nothing btw

But you can only imagine this guy's views on THOSE people

12 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Let me spell this out in language you may understand, given recent events:

1) How often have Asian/black/people of colour folk been the victims of hate or discriminated against for their ethnicity?

2) How often have Welsh people been victims of hate or been discriminated against for their ethnicity?

You're welcome, you can stop pretending to be ignorant now. It’s not funny.

That doesn’t mean it’s not racist... It’s contextual, which is the point. You’re welcome.

Archived