IGNORED

City Make The Five Live National News..

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Racism apologist .... come back to me with what you have 

Letting you and your vitriol anywhere near children is both astonishing and depressing

You see , muppets like yourself are very self selective about what you consider abuse , and what you see acceptable to use

As do those who’ve approved your post 

@JBFC II

Hypocrite & a True cretin

Wow. Fukushima level melt down right here. 

7 hours ago, Robson said:

I was at the game saturday and "Small minority" isn't the correct term believe me.
It started off as a small chant about tommy robinson involving a few idiots which escalated into must have been about 100-200 fans singing it. Loudest song of the day was that which tells the story. All came within the last 20-30 minutes when people were extremely frustrated with the teams performance, however that isn't an excuse for the vile chants. 

No chance were that many people singing it. There were 3 lads by me who tried to start it once and it never took off, and one was getting egged on by one of his mates to try it again. When it was sung another time then I would estimate about 30 fans singing it and then there were people rightly so booing it and it stopped pretty quickly, as for it being the loudest song of the day you must have been surrounded by the people singing it then. From where I was it wasn't that loud at all.

Would actually be great if we could get some kind of massive banner sorted funded by fans to condemn it ahead of the game on Weds. Something like Racism - Not at Our Club or something much better than I can think of....

Would make the press and how good it would be to turn it into something positive and send a strong message that the 99.99% condemn the actions of the idiots. 

I’d happily contribute if such a thing could be organised at such short notice. 

I never experienced any racism towards players or fans watching City. This is of course unless you consider "Small town in asia" and "Sheep shaggers" to be racist which seems to be a big debate on here. The " I can't read and write because I drive a tractor" could be deemed equally racist towards west country folk which is sang nearly every game towards us.

These incidents happen up and down the country every week and recently it has gained a lot more coverage. It's bizarre we get this coverage when those blue boys down the road have been documented several times over the years for doing so. This has to be recognised as an issue facing football all over the country not just individual clubs. Apparently Luton had the same treatment from four other clubs this season.

I don't think we as a club have an issue whatsoever, however agree that if the issue started to repeat itself at the gate or away again then yes we need to do what we can to condemn it.

34 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Would actually be great if we could get some kind of massive banner sorted funded by fans to condemn it ahead of the game on Weds. Something like Racism - Not at Our Club or something much better than I can think of....

Would make the press and how good it would be to turn it into something positive and send a strong message that the 99.99% condemn the actions of the idiots. 

I’d happily contribute if such a thing could be organised at such short notice. 

"Racism - Not in our name" would be good.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I never experienced any racism towards players or fans watching City. This is of course unless you consider "Small town in asia" and "Sheep shaggers" to be racist which seems to be a big debate on here. The " I can't read and write because I drive a tractor" could be deemed equally racist towards west country folk which is sang nearly every game towards us.

These incidents happen up and down the country every week and recently it has gained a lot more coverage. It's bizarre we get this coverage when those blue boys down the road have been documented several times over the years for doing so. This has to be recognised as an issue facing football all over the country not just individual clubs. Apparently Luton had the same treatment from four other clubs this season.

I don't think we as a club have an issue whatsoever, however agree that if the issue started to repeat itself at the gate or away again then yes we need to do what we can to condemn it.

Yes agreed largely, though the Small Town in Asia chant  has been generally seen as unacceptable for a while by many,  by the recipients.

Context and timing is also key. Bulgaria events last Monday ,  formed a backdrop.  England as a nation seriously  pushing this at a UEFA level would naturally have a big spotlight in this context to see if our house in order.  

We can't be making demands to UEFA in a credible manner unless we as a nation do what we can.

No particular issue agreed...no room for complacency either however.

A few years back now, I remember a statement being read out by someone at the club before a game which was a very clear statement of the club's stand on inclusion and on racism, and on any other form of discrimination. I remember it because it got a standing ovation. After what the club, and the sport, had been through over the years it felt like a real watershed.

As I say, I can't recall exactly when that was but I'd guess it wasn't far away from 2012, and the celebration of this country's diverse make up and tolerance that was the opening ceremony of the olympics. Sadly, since 2016 we seem to have gone backwards a significant way from those days.

But, a similar statement on Wednesday night, and a similar reaction from the crowd, would be a strong message.

Love the idea of the banner even more (and happy to chip in) but not sure that's do-able in that time?

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ll put your ‘oddness’ back in its box

Just because I don’t wish to get involved in the political posturing and ranting on a thread which is 12 pages and still full of arguing and posturing doesn’t mean I in anyway approve or accept what appears to have occurred at Luton.

As I’ve pointed out  there is a hot running thread multi page thread about the subject which is toxic and sufficient as a place for those that wish to engage to do so

Since then we’ve reignited the same subject on a thread about ******* darts

And now fans surprised that the social media outrage has hit national headlines , or rather the incidents , not fans condemnations , which is unsurprising and a negative from the Clubs perspective

I don't think that you do approve of what happened at Luton: I don't think I've suggested that, and if I have then I apologise.

But that's exactly what I find odd about your stance: if I thought you did approve then I wouldn't find it odd!

One bunch of people engage in racist chants and abuse at a City game.

Another bunch of people engage in condemnation of that and express a wish to distance themselves and their club from it

The club gets some unwelcome publicity as a result of the above.

Your immediate response (and I'm simply talking about your initial post on this thread - I realise you haven't engaged in the debate elsewhere) is to lay the blame for that unwelcome publicity at the feet of the second bunch of people. That's what I find odd. 

Do you not think that the club would have avoided that publicity 100% had the first group not chosen to do what they did? And, as several others have asked, do you think that people should tolerate that sort of behaviour without objection? Or that, if we all ignore it, it will go away?

I still hold the view that even if we'd all taken a vow of silence,  it would still have found its way into the news given the events of last Monday. 

Referee would have included it in report for one. 

Stewards and maybe police would have noted it.

Luton fans would've mentioned it-reported it?

Read some Luton fans had their camera phones out - evidence right there if true!

Local journos here,  or in Luton,  on Twitter or in the paper,  wouldve picked up on it.  It would have spread from there IMO. 

Lower level or slower maybe. Local media read this site and sites like it,   maybe some national journos too- it can help push the news cycle along for sure! 

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Racism apologist .... come back to me with what you have 

Letting you and your vitriol anywhere near children is both astonishing and depressing

You see , muppets like yourself are very self selective about what you consider abuse , and what you see acceptable to use

As do those who’ve approved your post 

@JBFC II

Hypocrite & a True cretin

Hahahahahahahaha. 

Pot kettle and all that. 

You take this forum too serious. Get off your keyboard, talk to your kids and wife. Maybe then they wouldn't hate you as much. 

8 hours ago, SecretSam said:

What about REM's "It's the End of the World as we know it (and I feel fine)"?  That might work

PS: totally agree on the politics, matey

Ha! Might try that one. Be the sound of one man waffling though I reckon.

TBH it shouldn't even be a "political" thing though.

Even if someone was a 'Small Town In Asia' singer, they surely don't want City's name dragged through the mud and ever associated with racism? 

Who would ever want that? Tory/Brexit Party/Labour/Green/Lib Dem/Apolitical: we all like to consider ourselves open-minded and not racist. It's only the tiny minority of nutters who are.

So, my respectful message to anyone who disagrees that songs sung at Luton were racist is - for the sake of our club - keep such songs away from it.

Plenty of things to say to Luton fans - Plastic Cockneys, shithole town etc etc - without having to refer to race in any way shape of form. Because we know it'll be seized on by people who want to paint ALL football fans as thick, racists morons.

And we aren't.

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes 

Ironically following Social Media and the news over the weekend it is actually the rush of outrage and posturing by our own outraged fans desperate to say so all over social media that has highlighted the incidents and  subsequent news storm and has us plastered all over the news 

Congratulations to all

Another new thread to set them all off again always helps  

As has been said, views such as this are part of the problem. I’m sure we would all rather talk about BCFC in a good light. But when something as abhorrent and offensive takes place such as happened on Saturday,  if we are serious about trying to make a change for the better we need to take every opportunity to out it. The potential damage in the short term far outweighs anything longer term that could have far reaching consequences for our club. 

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

As there was only 1000 odd there and tickets at a premium, I'm quite surprised. I would have thought the tickets would have gone to our "normal" traveling fans (who I believe are mostly ok).

I could understand it if there were 3 or 4 k, or pay on the day, as anyone could get them .

Actually people were paying on the day, also loads of spare tickets floating around, not sure where the100-200 singing  the TR song came from, no more than 20 odd I'd say, still 20 too many though

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ha! Might try that one. Be the sound of one man waffling though I reckon.

TBH it shouldn't even be a "political" thing though.

Even if someone was a 'Small Town In Asia' singer, they surely don't want City's name dragged through the mud and ever associated with racism? 

Who would ever want that? Tory/Brexit Party/Labour/Green/Lib Dem/Apolitical: we all like to consider ourselves open-minded and not racist. It's only the tiny minority of nutters who are.

So, my respectful message to anyone who disagrees that songs sung at Luton were racist is - for the sake of our club - keep such songs away from it.

Plenty of things to say to Luton fans - Plastic Cockneys, shithole town etc etc - without having to refer to race in any way shape of form. Because we know it'll be seized on by people who want to paint ALL football fans as thick, racists morons.

And we aren't.

Very much so Robbo. 

For me,  people should just leave their views political or otherwise at the door on a matchday.  Football and politics are a potent- and often not particularly positive mix! 

Last paragraph I fully agree on. Dodgy chants  (arguably racist) eg Small Town in Asia gives those who dislike football and fans plenty of ammo.  

'Oh,  safe standing. Yeah,  about that fans of your sport  sing offensive chants on away days.  Standing fans more active so we're still unsure...'

Beer in view of the pitch  'Well look at the chants sung when none.

'Has it changed sufficently in the last 30, 20- maybe even 10 years? Don't know but unconvinced!' 

That sort of thing will be a direct or indirect consequence of shit like this. 

Oh and football specific legislation.  I believe there was a pitch invader at Bristol v Bath Friday night. That law however as far as I read online,  football specific!

18 hours ago, wood_red said:

No chance were that many people singing it. There were 3 lads by me who tried to start it once and it never took off, and one was getting egged on by one of his mates to try it again. When it was sung another time then I would estimate about 30 fans singing it and then there were people rightly so booing it and it stopped pretty quickly, as for it being the loudest song of the day you must have been surrounded by the people singing it then. From where I was it wasn't that loud at all.

Unfortunately it was definitely more than 30 fans singing it around me. I was behind the goal at the back. Interesting this is the chant people are talking about yet there were far worse chanting during the game. 

This is why a full club investigation is needed- which of course there will be,

So far we have 30 fans, or 150 fans or even in some sources online 20, or 200- that's a pretty big range! There seems to be little consistency, because people who posted about it I guess all had/have different perspective/experience of what happened. Based on here and varied sources we have:

1. Anything from 20- or even less- to 200 singing.
  2. Chants about Tommy Robinson, either ignored or booed by many.
  3. Debate about the nature of the chants.

3 hours ago, Robson said:

Unfortunately it was definitely more than 30 fans singing it around me. I was behind the goal at the back. Interesting this is the chant people are talking about yet there were far worse chanting during the game. 

I was in the back row as well and I don't think it was more than 30, as it just wasn't very loud at all and the boos by not that many people was louder over the top of it.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is why a full club investigation is needed- which of course there will be,

So far we have 30 fans, or 150 fans or even in some sources online 20, or 200- that's a pretty big range! There seems to be little consistency, because people who posted about it I guess all had/have different perspective/experience of what happened. Based on here and varied sources we have:

1. Anything from 20- or even less- to 200 singing.
  2. Chants about Tommy Robinson, either ignored or booed by many.
  3. Debate about the nature of the chants.

1. It is only opinions of who was there, but I think the numbers are getting skewed because everyone are talking about different chants.There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY whatsoever there were 200 people chanting Tommy Robinson, I would bet my life on that. I certainly wouldn't argue with that number on the "small town" chant though. The comparable loudness of the 2 literally speaks volumes. If there were 200 chanting the TR song then the difference in volume to the "small town" chant then that must have meant the whole end was singing it as it must have been 5 times louder.

2. Chants about TR were booed - end of, and I haven't read anyone denying that at all. Chants of "small town" - I never heard a single boo whatsoever myself, and nobody has come on since I mentioned it to say I am incorrect have they? 

3. It seems a very high percentage are saying none of them should be tolerated. My point was why at the time did nobody boo the small town chant, yet in the same few minutes boo the TR chant? Why were those same people not outraged at the time, when they were happy to be heard booing for the TR chant? That to me just seems very odd, and those same people (in my opinion) surely did not see the small town as racist.

Archived