IGNORED

Saudi want Man United

Unan

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Errr- given Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia already owns Sheff Utd.

Can 2 members of the same Royal family own two clubs in the same competition- surely they are related/part of the same family? Conflict of interest much?

They've had 2 bids turned down so I assume it's okay? I mean, if they pass the "fit & proper" tests then what's a little joint ownership problem?

4 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

They've had 2 bids turned down so I assume it's okay? I mean, if they pass the "fit & proper" tests then what's a little joint ownership problem?

Don't think UEFA would agree but then Sheffield United in Europe is a daft idea- mind you so is Man Utd in Europe post this season!

UEFA definitely wouldn't see it as all that acceptable tbh- if they were both in Europe, or even more so the same competition.

It's from a 2004 article from when Abramovich had a stake in CSKA but guess it applicable here IF both got into the CL, EL.

Or more likely as it stands the Intertoto Cup. :thumbsup:

Uefa rules forbid anyone from having a controlling interest in two teams in the same competition.

FWIW, such a takeover IMO it could propel Man United on but their problems aren't money, at all.

Sheffield United- there was a lot of happiness amongst their fans I believe, when Prince Abdullah won the case and got ownership, but I'd treat that with some caution if I were them- purely from a footballing POV. Looking from the outside, a gut feeling makes me think it won't go so well.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can 2 members of the same Royal family own two clubs in the same competition- surely they are related/part of the same family? Conflict of interest much?

If they have enough money ( which they have) then they will find a way.

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Saudi royal family is estimated to include 15,000 people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saud

Basically their family get togethers are just over twice as large as the average crowd at the Mem.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

The Saudi royal family is estimated to include 15,000 people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saud

Basically their family get togethers are just over twice as large as the average crowd at the Mem.

When I lived and worked in Saudi I become quite friendly with the Chief of Traffic Police in Riyadh. One day when having tea at his house he explained that there are something like 78 Princes & Princesses in the Saudi royal family. They also employ an office that tries to keep them all in line and out of trouble.

53 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Why so ?

How long have you got? He's an autocrat who's been responsible for the torture of human rights activists, likely ordered the assassination including the dismemberment of a journalist on foreign soil and his continued bombing of Yemen which had led to the worst famine in modern history leaving millions of Yemenis suffering from malnutrition. 

I wouldn't want his dirty money or sickening "politics" anywhere near English football.

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How long have you got? He's an autocrat who's been responsible for the torture of human rights activists, likely ordered the assassination including the dismemberment of a journalist on foreign soil and his continued bombing of Yemen which had led to the worst famine in modern history leaving millions of Yemenis suffering from malnutrition. 

I wouldn't want his dirty money or sickening "politics" anywhere near English football.

Has he ? Did he ? As for Yemen:

"In 2015, Saudi Arabia formed a coalition of Arab states to defeat the Houthis in Yemen. The coalition includes Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Sudan and Senegal. Several of these countries have sent troops to fight on the ground in Yemen, while others have only carried out air attacks.

The US government regularly launches air attacks on al-Qaeda and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) targets in Yemen, and recently admitted to having deployed a small number of troops on the ground. The US, along with other western powers such as the UK and France, has also supplied the Saudi-led coalition with weapons and intelligence."

Not all down to the Crown Prince it seems. I'm not suggesting he's as pure as the driven snow but then lets look at other owners of football clubs as well before we get up on our soap boxes. Because the UK supplies Saudi with weapons does that mean English owners should be outcast as well ?

Lets remember also that Jamal Khashoggi was the Nephew of notorious Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. Who knows what the complete story is regarding his murder but maybe, just maybe, there is more to it than meets the eye. 

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

"In 2015, Saudi Arabia formed a coalition of Arab states to defeat the Houthis in Yemen. The coalition includes Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Sudan and Senegal. Several of these countries have sent troops to fight on the ground in Yemen, while others have only carried out air attacks.

The US government regularly launches air attacks on al-Qaeda and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) targets in Yemen, and recently admitted to having deployed a small number of troops on the ground. The US, along with other western powers such as the UK and France, has also supplied the Saudi-led coalition with weapons and intelligence."

Not all down to the Crown Prince it seems. I'm not suggesting he's as pure as the driven snow but then lets look at other owners of football clubs as well before we get up on our soap boxes. Because the UK supplies Saudi with weapons does that mean English owners should be outcast as well ?

Lets remember also that Jamal Khashoggi was the Nephew of notorious Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. Who knows what the complete story is regarding his murder but maybe, just maybe, there is more to it than meets the eye. 

Not quite sure I follow that logic, with respect. Yes the 2 are related but Jamal was quite outspoken about human rights in a country run by a man who regularly cracks down on dissent. Any other reason seems pretty far fetched (although of course only the murderers know for sure).

As for being on soap boxes, personally I have no problem criticising people like the Crown Prince, and it also wouldn’t stop me criticising people in this country or any other. The point is to be consistent. See also Recent events in Bulgaria and closer to home.

35 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Not quite sure I follow that logic, with respect. Yes the 2 are related but Jamal was quite outspoken about human rights in a country run by a man who regularly cracks down on dissent. Any other reason seems pretty far fetched (although of course only the murderers know for sure).

As for being on soap boxes, personally I have no problem criticising people like the Crown Prince, and it also wouldn’t stop me criticising people in this country or any other. The point is to be consistent. See also Recent events in Bulgaria and closer to home.

Having lived and worked in Saudi it is a very complex country. If you've ever had to try and conduct business there you would understand (sorry, maybe you have) but they trust no one until they get to know you. This can take years. Who knows the truth behind Khashoggi ? People can throw up a smokescreen to mask other activities. Doubt we will ever know ? As for MBS as I have said I am sure he is not as pure as the driven snow but lets also understand that King Salman has ultimate control so that's where the buck ends. What I am trying to say is that anything MBS does will come with the blessing and knowledge of his Father. That is a very simple fact.

As I said I lived and worked there for a good while and quite frankly loved it and the people. Corruption is rife however, and the standing joke in our office was that the "Ministry for Anti Corruption" that had its office close by and if you paid the Doorman 2000 Riyals he would let you in !!

On 21/10/2019 at 15:11, BigTone said:

I didn't say it was all down to the Crown Prince but he's clearly up to his eyeballs in it and the fact the US, France and the UK are involved (all allies of Saudi) doesn't make it right. We should be consistent, I agree, but I'm just offering my opinion on this one individual. For the record there are many foreign owners that never should have been allowed near English football probably starting with Abramovich.  Usmanov at Arsenal is another extremely shady character, Stan Kroenke too given what he has done with the Rams in NFL. Gillett and Hicks at Liverpool, the list goes on.... the Crown Prince is far worse than any of those lot mind.

On 21/10/2019 at 15:50, BigTone said:

Having lived and worked in Saudi it is a very complex country. If you've ever had to try and conduct business there you would understand (sorry, maybe you have) but they trust no one until they get to know you. This can take years. Who knows the truth behind Khashoggi ? People can throw up a smokescreen to mask other activities. Doubt we will ever know ? As for MBS as I have said I am sure he is not as pure as the driven snow but lets also understand that King Salman has ultimate control so that's where the buck ends. What I am trying to say is that anything MBS does will come with the blessing and knowledge of his Father. That is a very simple fact.

As I said I lived and worked there for a good while and quite frankly loved it and the people. Corruption is rife however, and the standing joke in our office was that the "Ministry for Anti Corruption" that had its office close by and if you paid the Doorman 2000 Riyals he would let you in !!

...and 4000 Riyals to let you out!

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I didn't say it was all down to the Crown Prince but he's clearly up to his eyeballs in it and the fact the US, France and the UK are involved (all allies of Saudi) doesn't make it right. We should be consistent, I agree, but I'm just offering my opinion on this one individual. For the record there are many foreign owners that never should have been allowed near English football probably starting with Abramovich.  Usmanov at Arsenal is another extremely shady character, Stan Kroenke too given what he has done with the Rams in NFL. Gillett and Hicks at Liverpool, the list goes on.... the Crown Prince is far worse than any of those lot mind.

Is he ?  We don't know that for sure. Certainly appreciate your opinion and the other names you mention sprang into my mind also, along with the Oyston's at Blackpool, the Bolton bloke (Anderson ?) and several others who have stripped millions out of clubs while holding 2 fingers up at the fans. Frankly football is a very shady business in every sense and I'm sure it is only a matter of time till it implodes on itself. We are lucky to have the owner we have.

Abramovich, Kronke, The Gillets, Hicks's, Fenway Sports, Sawiris, The Srivaddhanaprabha family, Abdullah bin Muss'ad, Gao Jisheng, Guo Guanchang, Gino Pozzo.

Football's coming home?

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Is he ?  We don't know that for sure. Certainly appreciate your opinion and the other names you mention sprang into my mind also, along with the Oyston's at Blackpool, the Bolton bloke (Anderson ?) and several others who have stripped millions out of clubs while holding 2 fingers up at the fans. Frankly football is a very shady business in every sense and I'm sure it is only a matter of time till it implodes on itself. We are lucky to have the owner we have.

He's an autocrat Tone so we have a very good idea of the plans and policies he has been responsible for which has led to the pain, suffering and death of civilians. 

The Glazers or Stan Kroenke, for example, merely coerced US cities and ergo the tax payers in those cities into paying for multi-billion dollar sports stadiums for their franchise teams to play in before walking off with all the profits. Effectively a reversal of Robin Hood. But to my knowledge they didn't assist in causing a deadly famine effecting millions. So, yes, I'm afraid the Crown Prince is worse in my eyes and I'd rather English football wasn't associated with him. 

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's an autocrat Tone so we have a very good idea of the plans and policies he has been responsible for which has led to the pain, suffering and death of civilians. 

The Glazers or Stan Kroenke, for example, merely coerced US cities and ergo the tax payers in those cities into paying for multi-billion dollar sports stadiums for their franchise teams to play in before walking off with all the profits. Effectively a reversal of Robin Hood. But to my knowledge they didn't assist in causing a deadly famine effecting millions. So, yes, I'm afraid the Crown Prince is worse in my eyes and I'd rather English football wasn't associated with him. 

Again I really 100% respect your opinion. Problem is the Yemem war began in 2015.  MBS wasn't in the frame at that point in time as stated below:

"He has been described as the power behind the throne of his father, King Salman. He was appointed crown prince[9] in June 2017 following King Salman's decision to remove Muhammad bin Nayef from all positions, making Mohammed bin Salman heir-designate to the throne."

As I said previously Saudi is a very complex country. There is no line of succession as here in the UK. The King can decide who is his heir and that can cause "disagreements" in the family. Who knows what is going on in the background with other family members. I believe (could be wrong) that MBS is the youngest Son which is rather like Prince Harry taking over when Liz carks it. In saying that the Saudi King still has complete control and knowledge of what is going on. That is a fact that cannot be disputed and it his he who should be held accountable.

Archived