IGNORED

The ghost of Marvin Brown

Major Isewater

Which City starlet over the years did you think would have gone on to have a top career but just dropped off the radar or didn’t fulfill their potential ? 

Clayton misFortune was a surprising one for me. He nearly went to Preston , I believe, for 2 million quid ( when that was a lot of money ) but turned down the opportunity much to the annoyance of the club I imagine.

The lad seemed to have it all, build ,  control , pace then... nothing . 

I believe he’s playing non-league now but what could have been .

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Which City starlet over the years did you think would have gone on to have a top career but just dropped off the radar or didn’t fulfill their potential ? 

Clayton misFortune was a surprising one for me. He nearly went to Preston , I believe, for 2 million quid ( when that was a lot of money ) but turned down the opportunity much to the annoyance of the club I imagine.

The lad seemed to have it all, build ,  control , pace then... nothing . 

I believe he’s playing non-league now but what could have been .

Good suggestion. It might be too early to add George DOwling, he might go down the Tyrone Mings route yet. 

I really thought that Ashley Kington was going to be a good player, also around that time Stephen Gillespie should have played at much higher level.

Not sure if he was part of the City youth set up initially but from a purely Bristolian perspective, Raphael Burke (aka Junior) was surely destined for great things having been part of the much feted Class of '92 alongside Giggs, Becks, the Nevilles etc Seems he just didn't have the motivation to play football any more. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/the-lost-boys-the-members-of-manchester-uniteds-golden-generation-who-missed-out-on-the-big-time-8973980.html

23 minutes ago, Big C said:

Christian Ribeiro didn't he turn down a move to Everton?

Yeah but then he got a really serious injury (ACL, I think) playing in a cup tie for us.  Was dogged by injury the rest of his career, called it quits a season or so ago.  Shame, cracking player when fit.

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Yeah but then he got a really serious injury (ACL, I think) playing in a cup tie for us.  Was dogged by injury the rest of his career, called it quits a season or so ago.  Shame, cracking player when fit.

Against Newcastle IIRC. Hes doing ok now in the world of property/mortgage type stuff. 

1 minute ago, KevP said:

Against Newcastle IIRC. Hes doing ok now in the world of property/mortgage type stuff. 

Glad to hear it, couldn't believe it when I saw he'd signed for Oxford then broken his ankle in his first game.  Poor guy was cursed.  Such a prospect, remember seeing him play for Exeter vs Liverpool in the cup, he still looked a class act.

Clayton fortune offer was 800k to Preston as I recall and it was 790k too much. He was shite just big.

Ribeiro wasn't offered an Everton move just subject to lots of speculation due to Tony Fawthrop working there.

For me David Cotterill should have gone much further based on his ability at 17.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Not sure if he was part of the City youth set up initially but from a purely Bristolian perspective, Raphael Burke (aka Junior) was surely destined for great things having been part of the much feted Class of '92 alongside Giggs, Becks, the Nevilles etc Seems he just didn't have the motivation to play football any more. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/the-lost-boys-the-members-of-manchester-uniteds-golden-generation-who-missed-out-on-the-big-time-8973980.html

I may be wrong, but didn't Burke suffer a nasty injury that did for his career? See him around these parts often, involved in school coaching.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Raph was the city reserves for a while after he left Manchester United. Does a lot of coaching with kids, think he was with the city community trust as a coach for a long while, may have been the academy, may even be still there, one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met.

as a teenager I definitely fancied myself as something of a football expert, and remember after seeing Cole playing for 20 minutes announcing he would play for England. My other predictions turned out to be utter shite, of course - Jim McIntyre I also tipped for international glory, don't think he ever got more than one appearance for us :D 

Archived