IGNORED

Famara 'Rant'...

spudski

... haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but thought it was very telling from LJs quotes about Famaras performance at Luton.

Apparently heated debate continued after game. And LJ didn't think Famaras passionate argument was reasonable.

Some very interesting comments about doing the basics right and having to play better and right preparation.

Thought it would be better than all the racism talk...

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

... haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but thought it was very telling from LJs quotes about Famaras performance at Luton.

Apparently heated debate continued after game. And LJ didn't think Famaras passionate argument was reasonable.

Some very interesting comments about doing the basics right and having to play better and right preparation.

Thought it would be better than all the racism talk...

Also picked out Palmer for the special treatment.  He knows what he's doing , a fired up Fam is exactly what we need at the moment.  Fully expect him to start Wednesday. 

It's strange because I thought Deidhiou actually had one of his best games for a while against Luton, albeit without really threatening their goal (but then none of our players managed that). Looked to me as though he was dropping a bit deeper than usual though, and he played well in close quarters, getting free of his marker on a couple of occasions. Perhaps he just didn't follow LJ's instructions in the second half though. LJ often talks about the simple things but then often argues for "that little bit of magic" being needed to unlock defences.

I don't really get the Palmer and Diedhiou selection. It has always looked like they should be playing for completely different sides in how they link up. Surely LJ can see this, or is he just hoping it improves.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really get the Palmer and Diedhiou selection. It has always looked like they should be playing for completely different sides in how they link up. Surely LJ can see this, or is he just hoping it improves.

Think he's been hamstrung since Afobes injury...and hoping certain players raise their game.

I thought the whole Army quote about preparing correctly was interesting. There was also mention of preparation in rest, nutrition, pre prep before a game.

Obviously some things have come to the fore.

50 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Also picked out Palmer for the special treatment.  He knows what he's doing , a fired up Fam is exactly what we need at the moment.  Fully expect him to start Wednesday. 

What we really need is a striker instead of Fam. Let's hope it happens at last in January.

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Players with enough experience and passion dare to let the gaffer know they don’t agree with him!  Not new is it?

What does this say about the streaky nature of the last few seasons? History about to repeat itself? I sincerely hope not!

I think LJ is a very honest coach...he praises when it's due and isn't scared to criticise openly.

If LJ though Famaras passionate response was fair, he would have said. 

In this case, it came across that he wasn't happy and that Famara had no right to complain.

That speaks volumes to me...and also that the debate continued.

I understand LJs frustration and also his frustration at Palmer.

I thought he was decent first half and was one of our better players - a bit frustrating at times with his refusal to run in behind (it would help Palmer as well if he did). However, he was holding the ball up well enough and went on a couple of runs where he beat a few of their players... didn't stop the blokes behind me blaming him for absolutely everything mind, we could lose the ball 50 yards from Fam and it would be his fault for not spinning his man.

Second half he didn't show up (I thought the blokes behind me were going to implode) but realistically none of our players showed up with the exception of Bentley (with an Honorable mention for Taylor Moore who was our next best player imo),

Truth be told I was more concerned by how poor Brownhill was and how nonexistent Weimann was for the majority. I don't want to be critical of Massengo as he is a young lad who is still developing physically but he was muscled out the game by Luton and definitely needed more help from those around him, I think this was probably why Famara kept dropping deeper and deeper - but by this point he was playing so poorly that he was probably more of a hindrance than a help.

Anyways... My point being is that LJ could have voiced his disapproval at 8 or 9 of our starting 11 and they couldn't really have many complaints.

I think the fact that Fam was subbed gave the opportunity for them to both express their disapproval of each other in the heat of the moment - not always the best time. I don't think LJ is the sort to hold grudges against a player who's forthright in their views, even if he disagrees.

That said, I'd be very surprised if we don't see Rodri given a good run on Wednesday; either starting or as a fairly early sub.

A player like Fam shouldn't need firing up. He's a big lad and should be giving defences a hard time but in so many games he gets beaten in the air a lot, knocked off the ball and doesn't move much. And surely he can improve his touch with some training sessions? If he could improve his control and run at defenders he'd be hard to play against 

4 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

A player like Fam shouldn't need firing up. He's a big lad and should be giving defences a hard time but in so many games he gets beaten in the air a lot, knocked off the ball and doesn't move much. And surely he can improve his touch with some training sessions? If he could improve his control and run at defenders he'd be hard to play against 

Most of us have been saying that since he came here, but he won’t get better without good support and I think that was the issue Saturday, he got taken off when his most consistent provider came on, most of us agree that Elliasson should start, the best crosser we have, ok defensively he still has to improve but we need more goals! Palmer seems to be echoing the same failings as a number of recent loanees that have become permanent, showed lots of promise on loan and then.......one for the Psychologists perhaps!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

LJ sees what he sees, it sure ain’t what we see, rarely has been!

I could understand it if he had no options, but he sees them in training and then what we see on the pitch has to be something very different or they would not have been selected! Will it change? I don’t think so, the fans frustrations don’t interest him and his  decisions and tactics are to say the least, weird!

10 games unbeaten was a hell of a good run, for most of those matches our midfield was ok and the defence fairly solid, but the midfield has become poor and the attack toothless.  Our opponents see our tactics as a weakness they can easily exploit - it’s bloody frustrating being a city fan!

I don’t think Diedhiou will change. He has been here a couple of years now and unless we play differently and give him a partner he can click with we will get more of the same.

Afobe did highlight his shortcomings, I totally agree @Sturny. I had forgotten what pkayingvwith a striker that could hold up the ball and bring others into the game was like until Afobe.

I guess I was surprised Diedhiou got the nod on Saturday, having been on international duty the other side of the world. He often looks jaded at the best of times. But what real choice did we have I guess?

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

LJ sees what he sees, it sure ain’t what we see, rarely has been!

I could understand it if he had no options, but he sees them in training and then what we see on the pitch has to be something very different or they would not have been selected! Will it change? I don’t think so, the fans frustrations don’t interest him and his  decisions and tactics are to say the least, weird!

10 games unbeaten was a hell of a good run, for most of those matches our midfield was ok and the defence fairly solid, but the midfield has become poor and the attack toothless.  Our opponents see our tactics as a weakness they can easily exploit - it’s bloody frustrating being a city fan!

Think that's really harsh...not many teams will have done as well with so many injuries to vital players.

LJ knows we needed a striker...Nketiah did one and Afobe was doing awesome and then got injured.

Fam got dropped... he's really not taken his chance since and as LJ pointed out, not even doing the basics well.

Add that to players having to play every game to cover the injuries...we can all see where the failings lie.

I know not everyone likes the XG league...but we sit firmly bottom by miles.

We just don't create chances...and it will catch up with us, as it did against Luton.

I'm fearing the worst against Charlton.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think that's really harsh...not many teams will have done as well with so many injuries to vital players.

LJ knows we needed a striker...Nketiah did one and Afobe was doing awesome and then got injured.

Fam got dropped... he's really not taken his chance since and as LJ pointed out, not even doing the basics well.

Add that to players having to play every game to cover the injuries...we can all see where the failings lie.

I know not everyone likes the XG league...but we sit firmly bottom by miles.

We just don't create chances...and it will catch up with us, as it did against Luton.

I'm fearing the worst against Charlton.

If we don’t play WITH our front man the we should not have a front man! Simple, we did it before and it worked really well!

I don’t get this our players are fatigued, Luton’s looked ok and have played the same number of games.

LJ needs to change the team if players are fatigued.

Bsker at lb frees Rowe for Cm

Plsy Eliasson more, even play 2 up front. Players are there, COD, Watkins, Wright, Pereria have hardly played. 
Why keep subbing Moors, take off someone else to freshen it up.

LJ loves making excuses but never changes things, think he’s a bit like SC and is to stubborn with his formations.

Would be nice if we played a game and got the formation right for once instead of changing it endlessly during the match.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

I thought he was decent first half and was one of our better players - a bit frustrating at times with his refusal to run in behind (it would help Palmer as well if he did). However, he was holding the ball up well enough and went on a couple of runs where he beat a few of their players... didn't stop the blokes behind me blaming him for absolutely everything mind, we could lose the ball 50 yards from Fam and it would be his fault for not spinning his man.

I thought he was decent enough first half too, but nothing second half.  It’s not difficult to notice that Palmer plays better without Fam in the side, and I think Fam doesn’t suit Weimann that well either.  Problemo.

Second half he didn't show up (I thought the blokes behind me were going to implode) but realistically none of our players showed up with the exception of Bentley (with an Honorable mention for Taylor Moore who was our next best player imo),

agree, those two were our shining lights on Saturday.  Why hook Moore, and not Baker (or Williams for that matter)?  His advancing with the ball was one of the encouraging things from my perspective.

Truth be told I was more concerned by how poor Brownhill was and how nonexistent Weimann was for the majority. I don't want to be critical of Massengo as he is a young lad who is still developing physically but he was muscled out the game by Luton and definitely needed more help from those around him, I think this was probably why Famara kept dropping deeper and deeper - but by this point he was playing so poorly that he was probably more of a hindrance than a help.

From watching Robinstv I thought JB and HNM didn’t play as a horizontal pair, like they had in previous games, it was more HNM in advance.  It meant we weren’t as compact as usual and offered less protection to the back 3.  That 2 filling the gaps in front of the 3xCBs has been key to solidity.

Anyways... My point being is that LJ could have voiced his disapproval at 8 or 9 of our starting 11 and they couldn't really have many complaints.

he could indeed.  Hopefully a one in ten game, and we bounce back on Wednesday.  The eleven on Wednesday will be interesting.

Archived