IGNORED

What sort of abuse is this?

BigAl&Toby

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

Cut the scone or scone in half horizontally, but jam on one half and cream on the other, or the other way round, reassemble the said scone or scone with either jam or butter uppermost,  then eat. Simps. Enjoy.

‘Simps’ indeed. 

What am I meant to do, eat the scone like a sandwich like some kind of animal? Otherwise I can’t see any situation where I’m not disappointed with the ratio of content on each half. 

Half a mark for ingenuity but the idea needs refinement. 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Pretty obvious religion is very important to some people's lives. It's all that matters to some. Not funny in the slightest.

Was also my gut feel but to be honest you can see why people are confused about what’s ok and what’s not in some situations. 

I mean what makes believing in a man in the sky any more ‘protected’ from banter than believing in unicorns and the boogeyman? Is ‘religionism’ a thing? 

And in this case it’s clearly a case of tongue in cheek British terrace banter rather than genuine abuse/harassment in a conventional sense. 

If on Wednesday Bentley starts pointing towards his imaginary unicorn friend in the sky and asking his advise I don’t think anyone would raise an eyebrow at a bit of tongue in cheek banter being sent his way!

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

‘Simps’ indeed. 

What am I meant to do, eat the scone like a sandwich like some kind of animal? Otherwise I can’t see any situation where I’m not disappointed with the ratio of content on each half. 

Half a mark for ingenuity but the idea needs refinement. 

I'm not a scientist, just hungry!!!

3 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Same reason we shout anything I guess?

Same reason we shout “mind my face” during the run up for a penalty.

Same reason we shout “he wants 12” when the keepers trying to arrange his wall.

Same reason we shout out “he doesn’t trust you” when the full back who sliced his pass last time wants it from the keeper the next time.

Same reason we shouted out to Grealish “pull your socks up” - in that instance he looked at us, smiled and did it.

It’s what we do. A lot of the collective us. Why do we do it? Why does anyone do what they do?

But that’s not the point really. My point was about the irony.

Of the person who had “the abuse” directed at him who chose to ignore - and probably thought “what an asshole” ?About the steward who took it upon himself to get involved. About the match official who laughed.

Compare that to the disgraceful scenes in Bulgaria. Tyrone Mings has enough. He brings it to the attention of a match official. The game is stopped.

Where does it end and where does it start?  Or are we now all expected to sit in silence. 

Whether we’re praising our Lord, twitching about birds, watching cloud formations or watching football?

Here’s an idea, if you don’t know what may or may not be constituted as offensive, why not play safe and concentrate on singing songs in support of the team instead of making inappropriate jokes or comments about opposition players which could cause offence, even if you don’t think they are offensive?  

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Here’s an idea, if you don’t know what may or may not be constituted as offensive, why not play safe and concentrate on singing songs in support of the team instead of making inappropriate jokes or comments about opposition players which could cause offence, even if you don’t think they are offensive?  

I think there’s a very fine line - one that involves a lot of common sense (sadly not that common in the real world). 

Where do we draw the line?

Can we no longer song ‘who ate all the pies’ or make disparaging remarks about the mother of * insert current Bristol Rovers manager here * ? 

It’s a sad day when British terrace humour is eradicated for fear of causing offence.

Can I no longer boo Holloway in case it hurts his feelings? (assuming he somehow becomes employable) ?

In 99% of cases it’s taken in the manner in which it’s intended. 

Let’s be clear, shit like this is nothing like what happened at Luton and to basically be treading the line of ‘don’t say anything which could remotely be construed as offensive’ is a bit sad in the context. 

8 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Spot on.

Also imagine if his mother had just died, rather like Frank Lampard pointing to the sky after scoring a goal shortly after his mother had passed away.

4 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I like to think of myself as a reasonably tolerant person. But anyone putting jam on first deserves some heinous punishment. 

When you next travel down the M5, if you reach the sign marking the Devon/Cornwall border.... you've gone too far!

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Was also my gut feel but to be honest you can see why people are confused about what’s ok and what’s not in some situations. 

I mean what makes believing in a man in the sky any more ‘protected’ from banter than believing in unicorns and the boogeyman? Is ‘religionism’ a thing? 

And in this case it’s clearly a case of tongue in cheek British terrace banter rather than genuine abuse/harassment in a conventional sense. 

If on Wednesday Bentley starts pointing towards his imaginary unicorn friend in the sky and asking his advise I don’t think anyone would raise an eyebrow at a bit of tongue in cheek banter being sent his way!

The difference here is unicorns are real.

They're just fat, grey, and called rhinos.

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think there’s a very fine line - one that involves a lot of common sense (sadly not that common in the real world). 

Can we no longer song ‘who ate all the pies’ or make disparaging remarks about the mother of * insert current Bristol Rovers manager here * ? 

It’s a sad day when British terrace humour is eradicated for fear of causing offence.

Can I no longer boo Holloway in case it hurts his feelings? (assuming he somehow becomes employable) ?

Let’s be clear, shit like this is nothing like what happened at Luton and to basically be treading the line of ‘don’t say anything which could remotely be construed as offensive’ is a bit sad in the context. 

The thing is, a lot of terrace banter is ironic. Singing who ate all the pies to Tomlin who is in better shape than 90% of the country is completely different to chanting/shouting about someone’s religion.

23 minutes ago, grifty said:

The thing is, a lot of terrace banter is ironic. Singing who ate all the pies to Tomlin who is in better shape than 90% of the country is completely different to chanting/shouting about someone’s religion.

Reasonable point but who comes up with the topics that are ok and the ones that aren’t? 

The view of the guy proclaiming ‘god isn’t real’ is as valid as the one who claims he is as far as I can see? 

Plus of course there’s the fact that it’s quite clearly a bit of fairly well nature’s banter rather than actual abuse. Again, common sense, context is the key thing. 

I don't want to drag the other issue back into things and this clearly is less serious by far, but with a bit of a spotlight on us, this thread OP perhaps doesn't paint us in a great light- well nothing too serious but journos would be reading offline.

We're quite aware that media are not averse to trawling Twitter or other Social media! Just worth being mindful. It's nothing to get upset about but what @phantom said about this will become more commonplace for a while I suspect is about right. I can't say I'm terribly fussed or offended either way personally, seems a curious thing to shout though.

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

If you're in Cornwall its cream first, and Devon its jam first. They get quite funny about it. Me ? I just get offended.

When i have been in the singing kettle in Dartmouth I usually put jam, cream, then more jam! Tea lady said I haven't seen anyone do that before! I told her it was the somerset way. She very kindly brought me some more jam.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Reasonable point but who comes up with the topics that are ok and the ones that aren’t? 

The view of the guy proclaiming ‘god isn’t real’ is as valid as the one who claims he is as far as I can see? 

Plus of course there’s the fact that it’s quite clearly a bit of fairly well nature’s banter rather than actual abuse. Again, common sense, context is the key thing. 

I’d say the guy pointing to the sky and praying to himself/his god is being private about his beliefs. The guy shouting at him that the goalies god doesn’t exist is not. Same as beliefs in most things, you can believe in what you want, just don’t go forcing others to believe it.

I agree some topics do become a grey area. “The referees a w****r” is deemed ok because it’s the ref that gets it but he may go home and be quite upset about it. And with the current focus on players mental health, maybe the refs need some focus too.

i remember giving John Aldridge dog's abuse at AG once when he scored a dodgy penalty - he heard me as he was walking down the tunnel and responded with a cheeky scouse wink :D made me madder and inflamed loads of others but in hindsight, total respect to him for his reaction! No doubt nowadays I would have been chucked out for shouting what I did, and no doubt a modern player might have even pursued it.

It needs to be remembered that there's a great element of pantomime to football, and that involves the boos and the hisses and the slightly more. This should never stop. Common sense needs to be applied by all sides. There is clearly stuff that crosses boundaries (and of course i include racism) but plenty of stuff that is and should be part of the parcel of the general banter of football. It's horrible to live in a world where you can't vent and shout at a match and act like a bit of an idiot every now and again. Not sure i'm being coherent, I am a bit drunk :D 

Aside from the Tommy Robinson chant, yes I believe he deserves abuse! Perhaps not for being a Luton fan - I can think of plenty of reasons to abuse him and his stated opinions.
What actually is being reported as racist, our fans are no different to any others when is comes to winding the opposition up.

I live in Devon. 

I opt for jam first.

The natives don’t like it.

They’re wrong, but I’ll defend until my last breath their freedom to criticise my choice.

Shut down freedom of speech (as the liberal elite successfully achieved for several decades), produce division and radicalism.

17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I live in Devon. 

I opt for jam first.

They’re wrong, but I’ll defend until my last breath their freedom to criticise my choice.

Shut down freedom of speech (as the liberal elite successfully achieved for several decades), produce division and radicalism.

I`m in Devon and it`s jam first every time mate. Anyone who does anything else is clearly a freak and a weirdo and should not be allowed into your circle.

48 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

i remember giving John Aldridge dog's abuse at AG once when he scored a dodgy penalty - he heard me as he was walking down the tunnel and responded with a cheeky scouse wink :D made me madder and inflamed loads of others but in hindsight, total respect to him for his reaction! No doubt nowadays I would have been chucked out for shouting what I did, and no doubt a modern player might have even pursued it.

It needs to be remembered that there's a great element of pantomime to football, and that involves the boos and the hisses and the slightly more. This should never stop. Common sense needs to be applied by all sides. There is clearly stuff that crosses boundaries (and of course i include racism) but plenty of stuff that is and should be part of the parcel of the general banter of football. It's horrible to live in a world where you can't vent and shout at a match and act like a bit of an idiot every now and again. Not sure i'm being coherent, I am a bit drunk :D 

A funny one back in the day was the whole EE singing `Where`s your wife gone` at Stan Bowles after his much-publicised break-up.

To his immense credit he just turned to us and shrugged his shoulders!

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don't forget we live in a world where the word blackboard is deemed offensive :laugh:

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I live in Devon. 

I opt for jam first.

Yes, chant some of the Saturday songs at AG Wednesday-  that'll show them.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, chant some of the Saturday songs at AG Wednesday-  that'll show them.

To the tune... small town

Cream added second

On a jam scone made in Devon

Cream added second

I’ll just pop down to the Devonshire Arms to test that. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I’d say the guy pointing to the sky and praying to himself/his god is being private about his beliefs. The guy shouting at him that the goalies god doesn’t exist is not. Same as beliefs in most things, you can believe in what you want, just don’t go forcing others to believe it.

I agree some topics do become a grey area. “The referees a w****r” is deemed ok because it’s the ref that gets it but he may go home and be quite upset about it. And with the current focus on players mental health, maybe the refs need some focus too.

It's not particularly private, is it? In a stadium, during a sporting event in front of 20,000 people. Not saying he's doing anything wrong of course and he's quite entitled to do what he's doing. But I'd say by the same token, the vocal supporter is equally entitled to air his or her own beliefs in the same way. 

The irony of all this is that calling someone a w****r is infinitely more offensive than challenging someone's assertion that there's a magic man in the sky. But because the subject at hand is religion, people get very tetchy about it due to the connotations of racism etc which is quite something else.

From reading the OP, it's a classic case of someone getting offended on someone's behalf. 

From reading the OP it seemed like a bit of harmless terrace banter as goes on up and down the country week in week out and 99.9% of which is taken with the humour in which it's intended. 

Whilst I have no desire to offend anyone, I do think it's sad if that ends up disappearing completely.

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

I live in Devon. 

I opt for jam first.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m in Devon and it`s jam first every time mate. Anyone who does anything else is clearly a freak and a weirdo and should not be allowed into your circle.

I don't live in Devon and its Jam first but is it a "scon" or a "scone" (spelling just to differentiate).

There is absolutely no reason or excuse for yelling offensive, inane, religious or anti-religious comment from the side lines. Ever.

Earlier this year I was forced to take matters into my own hands at the Hippodrome, punching a young chav in the face who was giving dogs abuse to a portly transgender soap star, screaming "behind you" at the top of his yet-to-break voice.

Unnecessary, disrespectful and totally inflammatory. 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Unfortunately common sense disappeared many years ago.

The world is moving faster than it ever has.

We now have generations that have grown up with the likes of Benny Hill and the Black and White Minstrel show, living with people who are offended with everything and can't decide whether they are male, female or a piece of Broccoli.

How do the two mix and understand one another?

Being told you have to think a certain way by the institutions only inflames things more.

I've always thought humour prevails...the people I notice that get on happily in life laugh and don't get offended.

After all... what's going to happen if you feel offended? It's not like you've got a bomb dropping on your head...

Treat everyone as equal, but laugh at ourselves.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately common sense disappeared many years ago.

The world is moving faster than it ever has.

We now have generations that have grown up with the likes of Benny Hill and the Black and White Minstrel show, living with people who are offended with everything and can't decide whether they are male, female or a piece of Broccoli.

How do the two mix and understand one another?

Being told you have to think a certain way by the institutions only inflames things more.

I've always thought humour prevails...the people I notice that get on happily in life laugh and don't get offended.

After all... what's going to happen if you feel offended? It's not like you've got a bomb dropping on your head...

Treat everyone as equal, but laugh at ourselves.

my first thought was "marmite"  but then I remembered only smarties have the answer.

Archived