IGNORED

Honesty in football - well done LJ

Harry

44 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Surely some mistake?....

Yes you're right, here's the actual transcript. Harry Redknapps dog, the then director of football at Derby, and Neil Warnock's wife Sharon, Cardiff City manager, “needed looking after” while brokering deals, according to the agents.

This was/is common practice and has been for years allegedly...this quote reminded me of something not so long ago...

Mr Price added that one manager made players give him (the manager) kickbacks in return for pay-rises.

Mr Price said: "Basically every month they would come into his office with £4,000 cash - each of them. So he was getting £12,000 quid. Because what happened was, when they had done the deal, he basically said, 'Right they have done the wages and they've said right you're going to get 10 grand a week. You're going to get 10 grand a week - it's done. So I'm going to give you 12 grand a week and you're going to give me four grand a month.' So obviously they were getting four grand a month extra and he was getting four grand - you know what I mean?"

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

This was/is common practice and has been for years allegedly...this quote reminded me of something not so long ago...

Mr Price added that one manager made players give him (the manager) kickbacks in return for pay-rises.

Mr Price said: "Basically every month they would come into his office with £4,000 cash - each of them. So he was getting £12,000 quid. Because what happened was, when they had done the deal, he basically said, 'Right they have done the wages and they've said right you're going to get 10 grand a week. You're going to get 10 grand a week - it's done. So I'm going to give you 12 grand a week and you're going to give me four grand a month.' So obviously they were getting four grand a month extra and he was getting four grand - you know what I mean?"

As in, you know what I mean arry?

And people say agents are the problem!

Sounds like most of them have their hands in the till, and given how well paid people are in the top two divisions, it can only be greed.

In some respects, you can almost understand if players/managers in bottom two divisions were a bit iffy as the money isn't there, but that doesn't make it right.

7 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

No matter whether you ever fell in the Johnson In or Out club, he's always come across as an extremely likeable and decent guy. 

Even after the dreadful performance at Luton, I doubt whether many of our fans are still in the LJ Out club now.

He has always struck me as a decent, honest bloke and this story backs that up.

I sincerely believe that the combination of SL (another honest chap) and LJ is great for our club. 

We are very fortunate not to have a club run by some of the slimeballs who work in fottball. 

3 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Even after the dreadful performance at Luton, I doubt whether many of our fans are still in the LJ Out club now.

He has always struck me as a decent, honest bloke and this story backs that up.

I sincerely believe that the combination of SL (another honest chap) and LJ is great for our club. 

We are very fortunate not to have a club run by some of the slimeballs who work in fottball. 

I certainly get the impression that he's now won the majority over but without being a regular it's sometimes hard to guess the mood!

And yes, totally share the relief that we don't appear to be run by some of those involved in the game!! 

19 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

No matter whether you ever fell in the Johnson In or Out club, he's always come across as an extremely likeable and decent guy. 

Absolutely. It seems the sport is riddled with sharks so it makes any deal we make even harder when you rightly have principals and are honourable and honest. Well done Lee and Bristol City for rising above it. 

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And people say agents are the problem!

Sounds like most of them have their hands in the till, and given how well paid people are in the top two divisions, it can only be greed.

In some respects, you can almost understand if players/managers in bottom two divisions were a bit iffy as the money isn't there, but that doesn't make it right.

It's not just football...it happens in many businesses. I used to work as a QS in the building game...from what I witnessed it was far worse in that world. And when speaking to other Professionals in other businesses, it seems the same.

28 minutes ago, RedM said:

Absolutely. It seems the sport is riddled with sharks so it makes any deal we make even harder when you rightly have principals and are honourable and honest. Well done Lee and Bristol City for rising above it. 

Agreed. It also helps when we have someone like MA who isn`t afraid to tell some of these shysters to do one if necessary.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

It's not just football...it happens in many businesses. I used to work as a QS in the building game...from what I witnessed it was far worse in that world. And when speaking to other Professionals in other businesses, it seems the same.

I used to work with vulnerable, abused children and young people. They needed looking after, too, the little blighters. In fact, they were known as "Looked after" children. True story

Fair play to super lee about this story.

It winds me right up when listening to ex_pros mostly on sky about “football people” as if it’s some special club.Obviously the fans know nothing blah blah sourness / redknapp junior.They all spout the same shit every week.Lets all hope the stories aren’t true.

Since I’ve been watching professional football since 1979 it all seems a bit of a shame really.

Won,t be there weds evening as it’s a school night but see u Sunday it’s what I do.

42 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Fair play to super lee about this story.

It winds me right up when listening to ex_pros mostly on sky about “football people” as if it’s some special club.Obviously the fans know nothing blah blah sourness / redknapp junior.They all spout the same shit every week.Lets all hope the stories aren’t true.

Since I’ve been watching professional football since 1979 it all seems a bit of a shame really.

Won,t be there weds evening as it’s a school night but see u Sunday it’s what I do.

"Proper Football Men".

4 hours ago, RedM said:

RedM don't wish to argue ( i know you would win) but all walks of life are riddled with corruption the little person is always trampled upon.

if the world was a good place where we all sang in harmony Keith Stroud would not be a referee.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-agent-claims-bristol-citys-3452843.amp?__twitter_impression=true

In a week of negative press for our club, hopefully this puts us back into some good light. 

Well done Lee. A principled man. Rare in this game, no doubt. 

Well done Lee for being honest. But does this not show what a state football and life in general is in, when praise is heaped on someone for demonstrating what should be normal behaviour

7 hours ago, reddoh said:

RedM don't wish to argue ( i know you would win) but all walks of life are riddled with corruption the little person is always trampled upon.

if the world was a good place where we all sang in harmony Keith Stroud would not be a referee.

Yes, that’s fair comment. But sometimes when the good guy takes a stand and has his voice heard it restores faith in mankind somewhat...even for just a little while. Then we are again swamped with all the nasty stuff that makes the world go round. 

12 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm a QS and I must say it's not something I've ever encountered.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I'm a QS and I must say it's not something I've ever encountered.

Really? I'm gob smacked tbh? Every other QS I know has had the same experiences as me.

Are you in charge of giving contracts out on jobs? That's where I encountered it the majority of the time.

From reading this thread, it would appear that everyone now at Bristol City is squeaky clean?

Well, that is very good isn't it. Except that in my experience, wherever there is money, there will be fiddles going on. Maybe on a smaller scale than a multinational company but it's still enough to be worth it for those involved.

And City fans should never forget the causes of our bankruptcy in 1982! From Board level to turnstile operators, a lot of fingers were in the pie.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Really? I'm gob smacked tbh? Every other QS I know has had the same experiences as me.

Are you in charge of giving contracts out on jobs? That's where I encountered it the majority of the time.

I give out contracts, make payments and everything else a QS does.

Archived