IGNORED

Wigan home - why 1:30KO on Sunday?

old_eastender

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Personal choice of staff you'd think, if we had Wednesday/Saturday we'd need a recovery day tomorrow with little training and then straight into a pre match day on Friday, moving the game to Sunday allows a day of pure rest in there as well.

That’s fair enough but why only the one match, why not the rest arranged Wednesday Saturday been moved. Have one in 5 weeks time away to WBA and home to Huddersfield so why hasn’t Huddersfield been moved.

Just doesn’t make sense to move random games and use rest excuse when you don’t move the rest. 

• These are the games we are up against on Sunday

Newcastle United14:00Wolverhampton Wanderers

• Arsenal16:30Crystal Palace

• Liverpool16:30Tottenham Hotspur

• Norwich City16:30Manchester United

Scottish Premiership

• Aberdeen12:15Celtic

• Rangers15:00Motherwell

Championship

• Swansea City12:00Cardiff City

• Bristol City13:30Wigan Athletic

3 hours ago, YorksRed said:

I think that’s the fixtures list rather than the list of televised games unfortunately. Delighted to be proved wrong though!

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

Surely whoever asked about the red button was talking about the Wigan game weren't they and not tonights? Which it isn't according to that link and clicking on Championship fixtures (if they were).

Oops, sorry, somehow misread an entire thread and thought we were talking about tonight's game. 

I'll get my coat! 

Wigan game will not be on Sky red button as they are not allowed to show games that have been rearranged from Saturday 3pm. Rearranged games still come under the blackout (unless they are rearranged after being selected for normal broadcast e.g. Cardiff away on SS Main Event)

1 hour ago, Greedo said:

Wigan game will not be on Sky red button as they are not allowed to show games that have been rearranged from Saturday 3pm. Rearranged games still come under the blackout (unless they are rearranged after being selected for normal broadcast e.g. Cardiff away on SS Main Event)

I`ve always thought that`s a bit unfair if you have to move a game for the cup though. By rights our away games away at Boro and Millwall should have been allowed to be shown last season but weren`t.

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s not curious or questionable. 
Weds-Sun IS more recovery time than Weds-Sat. Fact!

Just because other teams aren’t doing, doesn’t alter the fact that it does give us an extra days recovery time. 

I’m not questioning whether it’s more recovery time; obviously it is.

I’m questioning why they have moved this game for that reason when the same scenario has occurred countless times historically for our club and all others, without being moved.

I would also add that I don’t think it’s sufficient grounds to move a game away from the traditional Saturday slot which is generally favoured by a large majority of fans.

On 23/10/2019 at 16:39, Greedo said:

Remind me to not listen to you in future! 

Screenshot_20191025_235600_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 23/10/2019 at 18:50, ChippenhamRed said:

I’d also note that Europa league teams playing on a Thursday don’t wait until Monday for their next game.

We have a manager who is all about the extra 1%s- right down to measuring the length of grass at other stadia.

That extra 1% from a days longer rest is an advantage over the teams playing on Saturday. If we were playing Saturday then West Brom, Cardiff, Swansea etc all would have had a days more recovery than us going into the weekend.

It also give us the rest time usual from a midweek game, as they are normally Tuesday nights.

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Looking at the weather today and the forecast for tomorrow I`m fairly happy about the change now TBF!

In the warm today watching the rain outside whilst I enjoy England beating the All Blacks and follow the Saturday league games on the net, then 3 points tomorrow in blazing sunshine at the Gate feels like a good weekend to me.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

In the warm today watching the rain outside whilst I enjoy England beating the All Blacks and follow the Saturday league games on the net, then 3 points tomorrow in blazing sunshine at the Gate feels like a good weekend to me.

I must admit the drive up the A30/M5 in a howling gale and pouring rain along with all the half-term holidaymakers going home wouldn`t be filling me with enthusiasm!

2 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Plus the other lot are at home Saturday v Portsmouth

I think that would only have been taken into account if the Police said that they couldn't handle two games on the same day.  We've both played on the same day a few times in recent years, so it's not set in stone that somebody has to swap.  I wouldn't imagine that Wigan will require a large police presence. 

Post Eastville years, if both teams were drawn at home in the FA Cup, Rovers had to swap to the Sunday as there was a market held at Ashton Gate. 

Sunday matches often get a good attendance because it enables local amateur footballers to get to the game.

15 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I think that would only have been taken into account if the Police said that they couldn't handle two games on the same day.  We've both played on the same day a few times in recent years, so it's not set in stone that somebody has to swap.  I wouldn't imagine that Wigan will require a large police presence. 

Post Eastville years, if both teams were drawn at home in the FA Cup, Rovers had to swap to the Sunday as there was a market held at Ashton Gate. 

Sunday matches often get a good attendance because it enables local amateur footballers to get to the game.

True. As @JulieH has mentioned several times it`s assessed on a game-by-game basis so if we were playing Wigan or Barnsley and you Rochdale say then both could be played at the same time.

I did hear somewhere though that A&S were sometimes worried about fans clashing in town after games but I don`t know if that`s ever happened.

Archived