IGNORED

Daniel Bentley

Red Army 75

10 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Were you not there?  The famous day Tinns put on the goalie's jersey and performed miracles?? Well, sort of miracles.  ie they didn't score past him.

What next, Maierhofer;  who in his three minute cameo didn't put a foot wrong? Though come to think of it in his few games with us I don't recall him putting a foot anywhere.......

Moller , Mercer, Basso, Shaw (pre '82) and Welch were all very good. Bentley is rapidly joining them IMHO.

I thought he was good when he was at Southend and was gutted he went to Brentford. Now he's ours, I'm very impressed. 

As mentioned above, he did delay just for a split second last night which meant he didn't make it but generally, he backs his initial thought which I like. If he hadn't delayed, he would surely have made it yesterday.

Was it 2 1 on 1's he saved last night?

Go Bents. :clap:

12 hours ago, GJS said:

Awful decision to come for the ball tonight.

I would disagree. With players that high the Keeper needs to control the space in behind. Bentley starting position is too deep. He should be coming for that ball from a higher position. It is something he is good at, simple sweep up and redistribute the ball. This was too passive.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Moller , Mercer, Basso, Shaw (pre '82) and Welch were all very good. Bentley is rapidly joining them IMHO.

I thought he was good when he was at Southend and was gutted he went to Brentford. Now he's ours, I'm very impressed. 

As mentioned above, he did delay just for a split second last night which meant he didn't make it but generally, he backs his initial thought which I like. If he hadn't delayed, he would surely have made it yesterday.

Was it 2 1 on 1's he saved last night?

Go Bents. :clap:

When he was at Southend I regularly heard rave reviews about him from a Severn Beach based fan of theirs!

He said Bentley'd be in the Prem one day

After yet another excellent display yesterday I wanted to find some stats to see if Bentley really is as good as all of our eyes are telling us. Hopefully even the most cynical of us can agree that of all positions on the pitch a goalie can be most easily and reliably analysed through the cold lens of numbers. I'm only considering saves here so this doesn't factor in the other aspects of a goalkeeper's game such as distribution.

This first table shows goalkeepers in the Championship who have played every minute of every game so far this season (plus Millwall's Bialkowski). You can see that Bentley, having faced 71 shots on target, has been the second busiest in the division. From these 71 shots we've conceded 21 goals and Bentley has therefore made 50 saves. This gives him a raw save percentage of 70.4%. This isn't actually that spectacular - 6 of the other 12 goalies in the table below are doing better. Notably though most are far far less busy than our shotstopper. Bentley is one of two golaies to have faced more than 70 shots and the average in this table is 61.

The top keeper so far is Casilla at Leeds; he's saving nearly 8 out of 10 shots on target and has kept a clean sheet in half his games. However he's only been called into action 44 times. Bentley has faced 27 extra shots and has only suffered a 9.5% drop in saves made compared to Casilla. This shows that despite being very busy Bentley has maintained an excellent ratio of saves. On average a team is going to need to shoot on target at least 3.38 times (call it 4) in order to give themselves a solid chance of getting one past Bentley. 

He's right up there with the best performers in the division this season. Other than Casilla we can see that Johnstone at WBA and Woodman at Swansea are both performing magnificently, and Bialkowski is doing very very well.

image.thumb.png.dba49541315231eefdd8c4dc04ef0d2c.png

When he signed for us we heard a lot from Brentford fans. He'd "had a bad season" and "let in some howlers" and some feared the worst - so has he really improved or were Brentford fans disillusioned?

The table below shows stats from each of his professional seasons, ranked by his save %. Ignore 2011-12 and 2012 - 13 as he was just starting out and has so few appearances in those seasons that they're not reliable. It's pretty clear that his best stats were produced in League Two. Really this is unsurprising, you can assume that the quality of shots he's facing is poor compared to the Championship - those strikers are in L2 for a reason and the reason is that they aren't as good. A good Championship goalie should naturally produce good stats at League Two level, even in the infancy of their career.

So, looking at his three seasons at Brentford and his season so far with us - well it's encouraging. Last season does stand out as being a particularly rough one. Of the three Brentford seasons he faced the fewest SoT but had the lowest save %, by quite some margin. He played nearly 1,000 fewer minutes than in the two seasons between 2016 - 2018, and that will explain the low raw number of goals conceded. If you add on another 33% to that 2018-19 total you'll see that he'd have been up at 60 conceded. That would be nearly the same 2016-17 but from 100 fewer SoT against.

Essentially we can see that he really is almost back to his best. His save % is only fractionally below the best he's ever had at this level. There's room for improvement in the goals conceded per 90 column - but this column is influenced more heavily by the 10 players in the outfield so we can't use it to judge a goalie too harshly. He's performing above his total Championship average (third row from the bottom) and if he keeps this up then we should be able to keep the number in our "Goals Against" column down in the low fifties.

image.thumb.png.5aee6c892a311540988b85b132ab5200.png

In conclusion Bentley's stats show that he's not being praised just for a few spectacular saving efforts and last ditch heroics. He really is performing at the level of a top keeper at this level and should be considered, as I know he is by many, as one of our best signings of the summer so far.

All stats from: https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

PS. How does he compare to Basso and Heaton? Basically not as good as Basso in our play-off season but pretty impressive compared to Heaton. Asterisk both of these with an analysis of the defence in front of these guys but Bentley is doing pretty well.

2007-08 Basso:

image.thumb.png.9848962e7dd1dcceac068bd4f68d675a.png

2012-13 Heaton:

image.thumb.png.2ff7483293789d1eb71148f0c6e5e8b2.png

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

After yet another excellent display yesterday I wanted to find some stats to see if Bentley really is as good as all of our eyes are telling us. Hopefully even the most cynical of us can agree that of all positions on the pitch a goalie can be most easily and reliably analysed through the cold lens of numbers. I'm only considering saves here so this doesn't factor in the other aspects of a goalkeeper's game such as distribution.

This first table shows goalkeepers in the Championship who have played every minute of every game so far this season (plus Millwall's Bialkowski). You can see that Bentley, having faced 71 shots on target, has been the second busiest in the division. From these 71 shots we've conceded 21 goals and Bentley has therefore made 50 saves. This gives him a raw save percentage of 70.4%. This isn't actually that spectacular - 6 of the other 12 goalies in the table below are doing better. Notably though most are far far less busy than our shotstopper. Bentley is one of two golaies to have faced more than 70 shots and the average in this table is 61.

The top keeper so far is Casilla at Leeds; he's saving nearly 8 out of 10 shots on target and has kept a clean sheet in half his games. However he's only been called into action 44 times. Bentley has faced 27 extra shots and has only suffered a 9.5% drop in saves made compared to Casilla. This shows that despite being very busy Bentley has maintained an excellent ratio of saves. On average a team is going to need to shoot on target at least 3.38 times (call it 4) in order to give themselves a solid chance of getting one past Bentley. 

He's right up there with the best performers in the division this season. Other than Casilla we can see that Johnstone at WBA and Woodman at Swansea are both performing magnificently, and Bialkowski is doing very very well.

image.thumb.png.dba49541315231eefdd8c4dc04ef0d2c.png

When he signed for us we heard a lot from Brentford fans. He'd "had a bad season" and "let in some howlers" and some feared the worst - so has he really improved or were Brentford fans disillusioned?

The table below shows stats from each of his professional seasons, ranked by his save %. Ignore 2011-12 and 2012 - 13 as he was just starting out and has so few appearances in those seasons that they're not reliable. It's pretty clear that his best stats were produced in League Two. Really this is unsurprising, you can assume that the quality of shots he's facing is poor compared to the Championship - those strikers are in L2 for a reason and the reason is that they aren't as good. A good Championship goalie should naturally produce good stats at League Two level, even in the infancy of their career.

So, looking at his three seasons at Brentford and his season so far with us - well it's encouraging. Last season does stand out as being a particularly rough one. Of the three Brentford seasons he faced the fewest SoT but had the lowest save %, by quite some margin. He played nearly 1,000 fewer minutes than in the two seasons between 2016 - 2018, and that will explain the low raw number of goals conceded. If you add on another 33% to that 2018-19 total you'll see that he'd have been up at 60 conceded. That would be nearly the same 2016-17 but from 100 fewer SoT against.

Essentially we can see that he really is almost back to his best. His save % is only fractionally below the best he's ever had at this level. There's room for improvement in the goals conceded per 90 column - but this column is influenced more heavily by the 10 players in the outfield so we can't use it to judge a goalie too harshly. He's performing above his total Championship average (third row from the bottom) and if he keeps this up then we should be able to keep the number in our "Goals Against" column down in the low fifties.

image.thumb.png.5aee6c892a311540988b85b132ab5200.png

In conclusion Bentley's stats show that he's not being praised just for a few spectacular saving efforts and last ditch heroics. He really is performing at the level of a top keeper at this level and should be considered, as I know he is by many, as one of our best signings of the summer so far.

All stats from: https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

PS. How does he compare to Basso and Heaton? Basically not as good as Basso in our play-off season but pretty impressive compared to Heaton. Asterisk both of these with an analysis of the defence in front of these guys but Bentley is doing pretty well.

2007-08 Basso:

image.thumb.png.9848962e7dd1dcceac068bd4f68d675a.png

2012-13 Heaton:

image.thumb.png.2ff7483293789d1eb71148f0c6e5e8b2.png

First post just repeated the first table - weird. Anyway, this is the actual table showing his own stats over the seasons.

image.thumb.png.5edd12b07aca415f5835db15a9eac81d.png

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

My understanding was he was a popular player who just had a poor season and under-performed. The rumours I've heard suggest this may have been connected to off-field worries. The old cliche "form is temporary but class is permanent" applies. 

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My understanding was he was a popular player who just had a poor season and under-performed. The rumours I've heard suggest this may have been connected to off-field worries. The old cliche "form is temporary but class is permanent" applies. 

I heard similar. Whatever the reason for his bad season - and it was a bad season, not only compared to other keepers but by his own standards as well - we and he seem to have remedied it. 

Been very impressed with him.  Looks at home with City, settled in really quickly.

A couple of areas to improve:

- crosses....doesn’t come for enough, even if to punch.  However as long as his defenders know he’s staying on his line I’m happy enough (Mäenpää is better in this respect)

- kicking....last few games it’s been below par.

But that is being massively critical.  Made some crucial saves this season, e.g. Jamal Lowe 1on1 at 2-1 to Wigan.

We have two top-end keepers.

On 11/11/2019 at 19:18, Davefevs said:

Been very impressed with him.  Looks at home with City, settled in really quickly.

- crosses....doesn’t come for enough, even if to punch.  However as long as his defenders know he’s staying on his line I’m happy enough (Mäenpää is better in this respect)

But that is being massively critical.  Made some crucial saves this season, e.g. Jamal Lowe 1on1 at 2-1 to Wigan.

I agree   :laugh:

On 11/11/2019 at 19:18, Davefevs said:

This is one area Maenpaa was far better in last season. He was coming so far and often catching. He pretty much always judged it right when to come too.

It got to a point where I just knew he'd deal with a ball in, or if he didn't come then I knew it's because it was not there to come for.

Felt so calm seeing balls into our box with 2 completely dominant centre backs last season and a dominant goalie behind them.

16 hours ago, foghornred said:

The best Keeper for me was Billy Mercer who only played for a season or so  but won player of the year.

I played in goal to a decent standard and I used to watch Billy Mercer and just couldn’t find fault.

We all know Keith Welch was the true great though ?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:18, Davefevs said:

Like the teams. Cardiff City kept the ball more and played less long balls than Bristol City. The team is not focussed on keeping the ball. The amount of long balls the Keeper has to play negates key skills. Bristol City bought a Keeper who can confidently and adeptly join in with short passing patterns - The patterns the team has ceased to use. 

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Like the teams. Cardiff City kept the ball more and played less long balls than Bristol City. The team is not focussed on keeping the ball. The amount of long balls the Keeper has to play negates key skills. Bristol City bought a Keeper who can confidently and adeptly join in with short passing patterns - The patterns the team has ceased to use. 

Maybe we will see those patterns as our injured first teamers return . 

Archived