IGNORED

Semenyo?

Spoons

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

What's his best position? 

Must be good in training but I'm seriously struggling to see the potential in him? 

Out on loan.

In all seriousness, he’s young and has a lot to learn. Currently not cutting it at this level and looks way out of his depth.

When he plays he has no movement, no aggression and appears to have a lack of desire.... to do anything.

Rodri looked ten times the player Semenyo did when he came on. Semenyo showed glimpses of what he is capable of but just not doing it to the levels expected.. in my opinion.

A loan in January would be best for him to gain some confidence and get some minutes under his belt.

17 minutes ago, RedRobin96 said:

Out on loan.

In all seriousness, he’s young and has a lot to learn. Currently not cutting it at this level and looks way out of his depth.

When he plays he has no movement, no aggression and appears to have a lack of desire.... to do anything.

Rodri looked ten times the player Semenyo did when he came on. Semenyo showed glimpses of what he is capable of but just not doing it to the levels expected.. in my opinion.

A loan in January would be best for him to gain some confidence and get some minutes under his belt.

Yes Eisa must have been crap ?

Interesting that he looked very good on his own up top second half before being subbed. Probably best position is left wing but in time it will be up top. Not sure yet whether that's as a 9 or 10. 

I don't think it's hard to see his potential. He's the strongest 19 year old I've ever seen. Is quick, got a good touch. Wins some headers against big championship defenders. Shoots very powerfully with either foot.

I mean bloody hell Chelsea and Everton wanted to sign him. Leciester players were bouncing off of him last season. But he struggles at times at championship level when other very good 19 year old prospects go to places like Torquay to learn. And only get their chance with us about 4 years later.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting that he looked very good on his own up top second half before being subbed. Probably best position is left wing but in time it will be up top. Not sure yet whether that's as a 9 or 10. 

I don't think it's hard to see his potential. He's the strongest 19 year old I've ever seen. Is quick, got a good touch. Wins some headers against big championship defenders. Shoots very powerfully with either foot.

I mean bloody hell Chelsea and Everton wanted to sign him. Leciester players were bouncing off of him last season. But he struggles at times at championship level when other very good 19 year old prospects go to places like Torquay to learn. And only get their chance with us about 4 years later.

I'll have a pint of whatever you been drinking, cause it must be strong!

Thought he did ok tonight.  Flashes of good stuff.  Poor service in first half.  Needs to improve his movement, when to show, when to spin.  He did that second half, and helped us look much better.

All good experience.  He’s probably not quite ready, but I think fair play to him...and to LJ for giving him a chance.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he did ok tonight.  Flashes of good stuff.  Poor service in first half.  Needs to improve his movement, when to show, when to spin.  He did that second half, and helped us look much better.

All good experience.  He’s probably not quite ready, but I think fair play to him...and to LJ for giving him a chance.

? Can't for the life of me see what you are seeing. A spectator at best.

26 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

? Can't for the life of me see what you are seeing. A spectator at best.

Opinions.

I think you have to take some account of the overall team performance first half, which was pretty ordinary

In his 54 minutes I’d say he played  a part in most of our brighter passages of play.

He was better than in his last appearance, but it's still a 5/10 from me. And I'm quite generous.

Can't jump, is quite lead-footed - not slow, but just slow reaction times to get running; never quite got into the positions required; can't hold the ball up and his one attempt at a shot was a total embarrassment of a miskick.

Played one great crossfield pass in the second half.

Don't really want him to be starting for us again.

Can anyone seriously argue that at this precise moment in time, he's better for us than Taylor would've been?

Think he's a young player who needs minutes he could of had them on loan but we need homegrown players for match days. I imagine LJ intended to use him at the end of games we were winning when there would be less pressure but Afobe being out has meant he's playing more and sometimes from the start. 

I think he's not quite ready but he'll be good in time and that's what he needs at the moment he is having to do that in the first team. He's only 19 look at how Moore and Elliason have come on. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

All very true. At Newport when the national media  and pundits  were drooling over him and his performances , he was playing wide and deep, not  as front man.  He is not effective as a striker.....yet.

Clearly needs a loan spell to give him some experience and much needed confidence. I thought he did ok as a youngster learning the game. Yes he gave some silly fouls away and his decision making was poor (shooting from 30 yards when he he had 3 runners ahead of him in good positions) but he will improve and could be a decent CF in a couple of years time.

I think he lacks a little football intelligence. A couple of times he held the ball up well, dropped it off and when it went wide to Eliasson/Pereira they only had Weimann to aim for in the box as Semenyo was trundling 20 yards behind.

Loan to a League One club would be ideal but unlikely unless Morrell is recalled in January?

The lad needs a bit of luck; a goal off his backside. His confidence would shoot then.

Clearly a talented boy but needs to learn how to use his body properly.

The cameo from Rodri offered a good example - the way he gets his arse into defenders when holding it up, the way he invites the foul when there’s no option near him, the way he always attacks the ball on the front foot, be it running on to it or coming short.

I’m sure he’s learning a bucketload at the moment but there’s not enough to his game to warrant starting... yet.

9 hours ago, RedRobin96 said:

appears to have a lack of desire

And IF a club see's fit to offer him a loan he's Gona at least need to appear interested.

Obviously suffering because of the lack of coaching before being "discovered" by us...and falling way way below the curve.

From day one have never seen the much quoted 'potential' in this bloke - whatever his next step,, wherever his footballing story takes him I really think we ain't doing him any favours right now -  

Or ourselves.

For everyone saying how well he did at Newport, what is the evidence of this? As far as I can see he scored 3 goals in 21 games so hardly tore it up. Yes he looked great in the Leicester game but many players over the years have had great games in cup games but that doesn't make them great players.

I'm not knocking him and realise he is young but I just don't understand the hype about him.

Also is the Chelsea talk any more than paper talk? Looking at a player who had a good cup game but on further evidence didn't think he was good enough? Or genuine interest? 

I watched him closely for the first 45 mins last night and he genuinely didn't seem to know his position. He kept looking at the bench for instructions as whether to chase back, find space, challenge, stand off or whatever.  I'm  sure he has what it takes but he appears to be a confidence player and atm he is lacking. His wild shot from distance with team mates better placed screamed of a player just praying for something to go right. He improved prior to coming off but maybe that was after ht instructions from the coaches. He will improve in time but it may not be with us. Fam being out for 3 games leaves LJ with some interesting decision making.

9 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

For everyone saying how well he did at Newport, what is the evidence of this? As far as I can see he scored 3 goals in 21 games so hardly tore it up. Yes he looked great in the Leicester game but many players over the years have had great games in cup games but that doesn't make them great players.

He wasn't playing as an out an out forward for Newport. I'm not convinced he is a forward.

One word might sum things up: pressure. There are many extremely talented players who can't handle big crowds and the pressure of the higher levels. It's one thing being brilliant in training or doing your tricks and flicks in the lower leagues, but stepping up is too much for some. Others can't even handle the small crowds. It's a shame, but it's pretty much a form of (big) stage fright, in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

One word might sum things up: pressure. There are many extremely talented players who can't handle big crowds and the pressure of the higher levels. It's one thing being brilliant in training or doing your tricks and flicks in the lower leagues, but stepping up is too much for some. Others can't even handle the small crowds. It's a shame, but it's pretty much a form of (big) stage fright, in my opinion.

Yet he was man of the match vs Leicester last season in front of millions?

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yet he was man of the match vs Leicester last season in front of millions?

I take your point. It was at Rodney Parade, but certainly a big TV audience. The mind 'tis a funny thing though. The thing is, I've watched a lot of his game time at Newport several times and he really does not have a strikers instinct, being utterly flat footed. Stick him wide and it seems he is a different player who likes a one and one and has neat feet to beat a man. The trouble is, we are seemingly banking on him weighing in with goals in a central role. That just won't happen from what I've seen: so far. Instead of putting Weimann wide on 28 mins last night, Johnson perhaps should have put Semenyo wide and free him up to turn a player or 2 and get in behind. That might of made him puff his chest out a bit and want to get more involved.

Archived