IGNORED

Lee Bowyer’s view on things!

Tipps69

“I thought we should have won the game. It’s hard for the lads and, again, I cant fault them. They give everything. 

“I thought we were the better side, especially for 70 to 75 minutes. They changed their shape and matched us up and went to the diamond and even then, I thought we were still better than them.

image.thumb.png.19731f0022c6e7d530cf0d01d07099a3.png

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Stats dont mean to much. They killed us on the counter in second half. Only themselves to blame.

Rodri pass to Weimann in the box.

Rodri open(ish) net, straight to the keeper.

2 off the line seconds before they scored.

That's at least 4 great chances, I can't think of any that Charlton had. 

They countered with pass but had no final ball.

In my opinion.

For me, it feels like we set-up / play like we’re the away team! We rarely get in the front foot & really have a go at the opposition, especially in the first half.

It’s like we need that kick up the arse to get us playing & as a result the atmosphere & performance suffers for the first hour or so. We should be the team on the front foot, not the one hoping to take a draw or maybe a one goal win.

A classic “game of two halves”

First 45 City were far too open in midfield and it’s a concern that LJ opted to play two wingers in CoD and Eliasson neither of whom contributed much to help out Brownhill and Massengo. It was blatantly obvious that LJ needed to change things at HT.

Second half much better with a tweak of formation and even when Bentley gifted them a goal I never thought City would lose the game. The guy next to me, Nick was downbeat and I said ‘PMA mate, PMA’ and when City equalised he cheered up!

As far as Bowyers comments go - pretty much what LJ would have said under the same circumstances. It’s a kind of ‘managers speak’

great second half that could easily have gone either way - we could have had a hat full with an on-form finisher, but at the same time they looked lethal on the counter and there were several occasions we looked like being caught out. In a court of law, both sides would have a very good case for claiming they deserved the full three points. 

Either way, great entertainment in the second half, and am buzzing the football gods took our side in the end! 

33 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Rodri pass to Weimann in the box.

Rodri open(ish) net, straight to the keeper.

2 off the line seconds before they scored.

That's at least 4 great chances, I can't think of any that Charlton had. 

They countered with pass but had no final ball.

In my opinion.

Thats a bit unfair tbh. People here saying Bentley MOM is for a reason. How many one on ones did he save? 

46 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

“I thought we should have won the game. It’s hard for the lads and, again, I cant fault them. They give everything. 

“I thought we were the better side, especially for 70 to 75 minutes. They changed their shape and matched us up and went to the diamond and even then, I thought we were still better than them.

image.thumb.png.19731f0022c6e7d530cf0d01d07099a3.png

I’ve seen plenty of games where the team with fewer possession and shots has deserved to win so showing the stats doesn’t really mean much 

46 minutes ago, Super said:

Stats dont mean to much. They killed us on the counter in second half. Only themselves to blame.

I wouldn’t say they should have had 3 points but if you could share the 3 points I reckon they were worth 2 to our 1 if that analogy makes sense. 

The injuries are interesting because we will see how they fair. Our next game if Kalas is not back we will be short 5 of our best 15 players. Dasilva a starter, Nagy a starter, Kalas a starter, Fam a starter/first off the bench and Smith who you could argue struggles to get a game but think he’d offer us something different. Also that isn’t counting Afobe which not sure why I am not. Probably because he only played 4-5 and may never play for us again. 

So see how they get on in their next 8 with so many injuries to deal with. We are fourth missing 1/3 of the squad for the entire season so far

First half Charlton played some really good football. Second half we went for it and got the result. No problem with Bowyers comments. Any manager would be gutted to lose in the 98th minute. But if his team would of stayed on there feet instead of rolling around on the floor. They would of had the point they would of deserved. Karmas a bitch 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

What did impress me was that we still looked to try and win the game after the sending off.

I think the commentator, certainly on whatever stream i was watching, mentioned that it was now time for us to consider it a point gained. It's almost as if the side heard that and thought "to f**** with that!". 

Really impressed with how we went for it, was cup football so to speak. 

As for Bowyer, I don't think there's any sour grapes there from him, as others note, would have expected LJ to say the same if the boot was on the other foot. There's a few reasons to dislike Bowyer, but his comments last night are not one of them. Both sides came out with a great deal of credit I think. 

54 minutes ago, Super said:

What did impress me was that we still looked to try and win the game after the sending off.

Not sure why that impressed you Super.

We all know Citys home form as been patchy and we’d all have been pissed off had LJ shut up shop after FD got sent off. He and the players did exactly what I expected and went for it - another AG draw would have been  a huge disappointment and it was important to try and avoid that.

I haven’t read all the post match threads on here but the pass from Palmer to Brownhill was sublime and the ability to bring the ball down and bury it was outstanding from Browhhill.

53 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I think the commentator, certainly on whatever stream i was watching, mentioned that it was now time for us to consider it a point gained. It's almost as if the side heard that and thought "to f**** with that!". 

Really impressed with how we went for it, was cup football so to speak. 

As for Bowyer, I don't think there's any sour grapes there from him, as others note, would have expected LJ to say the same if the boot was on the other foot. There's a few reasons to dislike Bowyer, but his comments last night are not one of them. Both sides came out with a great deal of credit I think. 

I think very briefly it looked as if we were content to take the point but even with a player less Charlton were there for the taking, our players sniffed blood and with a vocal Ashton Gate behind them went for the win. What an insane ball by KP and an excellent composed finish from Brownhill.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

For me, it feels like we set-up / play like we’re the away team! We rarely get in the front foot & really have a go at the opposition, especially in the first half.

It’s like we need that kick up the arse to get us playing & as a result the atmosphere & performance suffers for the first hour or so. We should be the team on the front foot, not the one hoping to take a draw or maybe a one goal win.

Total agreement with your first paragraph. So many others that I spoke to last night, see it the same way.

I call these tactics "Johnsonesque" because it's exactly the same game plan as his father used. Great coach indeed? I think he is more lucky than good. If he fell in a cesspit, he'd come out smelling of violets!

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Total agreement with your first paragraph. So many others that I spoke to last night, see it the same way.

I call these tactics "Johnsonesque" because it's exactly the same game plan as his father used. Great coach indeed? I think he is more lucky than good. If he fell in a cesspit, he'd come out smelling of violets!

If taking us to 8th last season and 4th over a quarter of a season this year with his best defender injured, his other one sold and not replaced, Afobe out for the season, JD out for god knows how long, Korey back one day, if that’s all luck, do you think he’d mind me asking for this weekend’s lottery numbers?

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

More lucky than good.

'Kinell.

2 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

If taking us to 8th last season and 4th over a quarter of a season this year with his best defender injured, his other one sold and not replaced, Afobe out for the season, JD out for god knows how long, Korey back one day, if that’s all luck, do you think he’d mind me asking for this weekend’s lottery numbers?

Christ, do you know, I had completely forgotten about Jay Dasilva. 

testament to how good Rowe has been. 

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

LJ is a thinking mans manager. His father was anything but.

He continues to impress me. Last season despite having to sell his most valuable players he improved our Championship position. This season so far just two defeats in 13 matches and sitting nicely in fourth place and all with an injury list of first team players - Afobe, Kalas and Nagy all missing.

I really don’t get the criticism LJ gets - anyone can see what a decent job he’s doing,

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Agree Tipps.

LJ seems to be a studious and methodical coach and I can well imagine it suits his style much more to set his teams up to counter opposition strengths and threats, which is why we have done so well on the road over the last 18 months or so.

At Ashton Gate we rarely come out of the blocks strongly and all too often start cagily so that we give the opposition a football in the game. As with last night, it is often the case that it is only when are backs are to the wall that we look like the home team.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

In WWII Eisenhower said " I'd rather have a lucky general than a smart general. They win battles"

Gary Player famously said "it's funny  that the more I practice , the luckier I get". 

Losing Kalas, Dasilva, Nagy and Afobe to long/longish term injuries doesn't strike me as particularly lucky, Despite this,  and while we might have ridden our luck on occasions,  we are within 3 points of top spot. Are we the only lucky team to be in this position?

Archived