IGNORED

Stewards (Vs Charlton Athletic)

And Its Smith

23 minutes ago, screech said:

They're only acting on the instructions that have been handed out to them. The club set the agenda on how to steward our crowds, so point your finger that way.

Yes that's a fair point, and maybe 'stewarding' would have been a more appropriate title. I get that they are told, for example, to operate the 'open your coat' policy. But I wonder who sets the culture, which at Ashton Gate seems to be much more about policing than about welcoming you to the ground.

Maybe they could be a bit friendlier but their job is to keep us safe not to be our mate.

Open your jacket when you approach the entrance, have your bag checked if you have one and buy the right category ticket. You will have absolutely no issues.

Don't see what the problem is if I'm honest

5 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

Maybe they could be a bit friendlier but their job is to keep us safe not to be our mate.

Open your jacket when you approach the entrance, have your bag checked if you have one and buy the right category ticket. You will have absolutely no issues.

At Brentford I got searched, got my ticket checked, but they did it all with a smile and a laugh. I felt fine about it. You can do that job and be friendly. It's not a problem up there with our injuries and whether Fam is the man for us...but it just feels like we could do better.

Every game entering the Dolman its the same:

"Open your jacket."

(Ignore & walk through with no response from the prepubescent youth in oversized hi-viz.)

They may be friendly meet and greet types. Should it ever kick off they'd serve little or no purpose. 

Probably an unintended consequence of Disclosures and Barring but in the day I knew many City stewards who were not only fans but we're also of the ability to 'handle themselves' should the need arise (as their 'CVs attested.)

7 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

Please tell me how a half hearted attempt at having people open their jackets is keeping me safe?

You could quite easily smuggle anything you wanted into Ashton Gate, getting someone to unzip their jacket doesnt mine a blind bit of difference to that.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Please tell me how a half hearted attempt at having people open their jackets is keeping me safe?

You could quite easily smuggle anything you wanted into Ashton Gate, getting someone to unzip their jacket doesnt mine a blind bit of difference to that.

Admittedly it might not keep you 100% safe but surely any check is better than nothing? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to unzip your jacket for all of 5 seconds?

10 minutes ago, Chloe1992 said:

Admittedly it might not keep you 100% safe but surely any check is better than nothing? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to unzip your jacket for all of 5 seconds?

No, i really fail to see the point in asking someone to unzip their jacket without even looking. It serves absolutely no purpose, like i said i could easily take in anything to the ground and that is with their unzip the jacket policy.

Take last night, i unzipped my jacket as i always do but they wouldnt had been able to see anything of any use as the jacket wasnt wide open.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

No, i really fail to see the point in asking someone to unzip their jacket without even looking

Exactly. Contrast the higher risk but supremely well executed searches at Man City. Trained and well remunerated staffs on pat down: you WILL be subject to a search. That deliveries a message to anybody attempting to smuggle something dangerous into the ground.

And if you wish to consider the efficacy of City's search policy - well you never see a flare inside AG, do you?

6 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

No, i really fail to see the point in asking someone to unzip their jacket without even looking. It serves absolutely no purpose, like i said i could easily take in anything to the ground and that is with their unzip the jacket policy.

Take last night, i unzipped my jacket as i always do but they wouldn't had been able to see anything of any use as the jacket was wide open.

When I go through that entrance I do always feel like they have a good look,  but maybe that's because I have my bag checked as well.

It still goes back to the question of is it that much of a problem being asked in the first place? It's obviously a policy being implemented by the club that they are told to follow. I personally don't see the harm, it takes 2 secs...

Many years ago as a uniformed officer doing matches I always liked to try and interact with fans, it was nice for them and made my day pass more quickly. 

Sadly not everyone is the same and you’re going to get introverts and bellends in all walks of life. Obviously I take no issue with introverts, that’s their nature, but some people completely change in persona as soon as they get something high vis on. Sad really. 

10 minutes ago, 42nite said:

They're doing what they are instructed to do, and get a fair amount of grief from some as a result.

I've found that if you smile at them and do as they instruct they usually respond positively.

It's human instinct to respond in kind to a smile for the majority of people............and maybe if the stewards took the intiative to smile at the supporters who are paying money to support their team, it just  might intiate an all round happier atmosphere? 

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Exactly. Contrast the higher risk but supremely well executed searches at Man City. Trained and well remunerated staffs on pat down: you WILL be subject to a search. That deliveries a message to anybody attempting to smuggle something dangerous into the ground.

And if you wish to consider the efficacy of City's search policy - well you never see a flare inside AG, do you?

After that attack in Manchester at a pop concert, it was of no surprise that they took a more complete approach to searching people, but the process was done quickly and professionally.

As for the open your coats command we get, I have absolutely no idea what it is they aren't looking for. Is it alcohol or weapons?

Not sure if this thread, or the WMP thread is the best place to post this link, but this will be of interest to some.

Fans are focus of Football League project to reduce match-day policing https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/24/police-football-league-matches-supporters-project-enable?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Thought the stewards were a bit over the top with some of the always fans after they scored last night . Being at the other end of the ground you don’t see the whole picture but it looked pretty aggressive

To be honest I saw their fans trying to punch stewards after they ran down to the front after scoring. The stewards ran in to get it sorted which I Thought was fair enough!

Never had a single problem. Yes they’re a bit miserable but I would be too droning out ‘open your jacket’ on repeat for 2 hours in the pissing rain for minimum wage. 

Never had any issues at turnstiles in the south stand, generally seem polite on the rare occasion they need to actually do anything. 

1 hour ago, T R said:

I thought the first charlton fan jumped over the gate at the bottom of the steps. That's when the stewards grabbed him. Then his mates tried to help him out and they started punching so more stewards piled in. Perhaps the steward thought he was going to run on the pitch. Maybe @JulieH could confirm this.

The first guy down the steps did look like he jumped the gate.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

After that attack in Manchester at a pop concert, it was of no surprise that they took a more complete approach to searching people, but the process was done quickly and professionally.

As for the open your coats command we get, I have absolutely no idea what it is they aren't looking for. Is it alcohol or weapons?

High risk events and activities have been enforced as such since 9/11, key being it has to be all or nothing else it's  lip service (at which City Excell) - worth noting the Manchester attack occured not at the event itself but outside, yet the Police still allow vehicles to be park adjacent Greville Smythe, so presume the risk assessment gas shown our matches to be low risk.

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

It's human instinct to respond in kind to a smile for the majority of people............and maybe if the stewards took the intiative to smile at the supporters who are paying money to support their team, it just  might intiate an all round happier atmosphere? 

I suppose that depends on each individual. 

Some are happy to smile, some need others to smile first.  ?

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The stewardesses generally seem a bit friendlier than the stewards in my experience.

The one who is sometimes at the back of the Dolman is a massive pain in the arse. Sooner or later someone will say something to her in the heat of the moment they may regret. Non stop yapping to either someone in the crowd or to other stewards. I heard her tell the same story about people standing to 4 different stewards last night, and again at half time where she was going to tell a supervisor. Last season the someone shouted out from a few rows down from the back "FFS doesn't she ever go on, it's worse than my missus" after yapping about nonsense that nobody wanted to hear in the middle of a football match. Either ask people to sit down, or get someone else to do it, but we don't need to hear life stories through the match.

Not disagreeing with anyone's personal experience of the stewards, it's a shame if anyone is feeling unwelcome, but I LIKE the Ashton Gate stewards.

I also come in via the park end of the Dolman and I normally exchange at least a smile, maybe a few words and a laugh with whichever lucky bugger gets to look inside my jacket.

Not so long ago I was hobbling around on crutches with a leg brace on, and on each occasion the stewards went out of their way to open the side door so I didn't have to go through the turnstiles.

For me at least, I think they do a good job.

As a rule I do agree with you on this, except for last night, we had a young female steward at our entrance to the lower Lansdown stand, who actually smiled at you when you were walking in and was even gigging around the the music coming down from the stands. Hope it catches on, it doesn't cost anything to smile (not sure about the male stewards gigging around to the music though!!

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

Bloody hell, I'm not surprised you've got a permanent scowl in your profile :D having a drink at football and going nuts when scoring should not be viewed as criminal acts. Lighten up mate! 

Having a drink at football isn't a criminal act.

Having a drink at football also doesn't give someone license to be a tosser whilst there.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

If I recall correctly, the open coat policy was introduced the weekend after the Paris attacks, which included suicide bombs going off outside the Stade de France.  So I think they are looking predominantly for suicide vests.

A shame we have to have these conversations, really.

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Having a drink at football isn't a criminal act.

Having a drink at football also doesn't give someone license to be a tosser whilst there.

no it doesn't. Which is why I'm surprised the stewards were acting as such without even having consumed the smallest of ciders. 

Archived