IGNORED

Stewards (Vs Charlton Athletic)

And Its Smith

https://mobile.twitter.com/Geoff_Pearson/status/1186755767812153344

Interesting Tweet and pretty accurate IMO. References pitch incursions.

Key term there, common sense!! People may criticise the Taylor Report and Taylor himself. Some is justified but I also believe that things like widespread pricing out, possible life bans for throwing an empty plastic bottle, the way celebratory pitch incursions get dealt with at times, are something he'd have anticipated, or necessarily applauded were he alive today!

For a start he stated in the report that all ticket or not, there should still be decently affordable tickets. Second, that Tweet indicates he would recommend common sense- something that's not used enough.

Certainly not given how football and the makeup of crowds had changes in the last 30, 20- even 10 years.

What was a necessary evil in 1989 and probably 1999, is far from it now!

12 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Maybe these stewards should be briefed on how a goal in football is celebrated differently to how scoring a try in Rugby is celebrated! Then maybe before they start work check what shape ball is in play and chill out! 

I agree with the overarching principle but again, law has it as a football specific offence to encroach onto the pitch. Not necessarily for rugby though, interestingly!

Even though rugby isn't averse to pitch invaders or invasions.

All depends on the police force or council a bit though. Stewards and even club' hands can be tied to an extent.

Add in the Luton issue and I maintain under more scrutiny and this was unfortunately fairly plausible. Not that I'd agree with the hard line- but these things are, can be, cumulative.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree with the overarching principle but again, law has it as a football specific offence to encroach onto the pitch. Not necessarily for rugby though, interestingly!

Even though rugby isn't averse to pitch invaders or invasions.

All depends on the police force or council a bit though. Stewards and even club' hands can be tied to an extent.

Add in the Luton issue and I maintain under more scrutiny and this was unfortunately fairly plausible. Not that I'd agree with the hard line- but these things are, can be, cumulative.

Past footballing crowd control issues are a major factor in the sometimes over zealous actions of a number of stewards for sure.

However, there must be a point when a steward can tell the difference between a pitch invader and someone just celebrating a goal.

• Admin
On 24/10/2019 at 18:47, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Hate to say this is nonsense 

I just watched the game back, one of the Charlton supporters is over the barrier celebrating but gets stopped before he gets to the electronic advertising boards by two stewards. 

He then climbs back over the barrier onto the steps where a second Charlton supporter is also celebrating. 

At this point one of the stewards is pulling the arm of the second supporter trying to pull him through the barriers gate.

In this action the supporter is clearly struggling to break free and get back up into the stand.

THIRTEEN stewards are now grabbing these TWO supporters. Three get one supporter onto the area between the barriers and the advertising where the remaining TEN stewards are now dragging the remaining supporter into the same area. 

There are CLEARLY NO PUNCHES THROWN but seems a MASSIVE overreaction in needing THIRTEEN stewards to physically drag the TWO supporters out of the stand. 

Only ONE left the stand the other was on the steps 

Only just catching up with the coverage that was shown live on sky.

This is pretty nailed on for how it looks 

Archived