IGNORED

Team for Wigan (Merged)

Will b11

With Diédhiou out for 3 games and Massengo struggling in the last game I would personally go with this team in 3-5-2 formation 

Bentley 

Moore                    Williams                    Baker 

Pereira                         Brownhill                        Rowe                                     O’Dowda 

Palmer 

Weimann                               Rodri 

3 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

With Diédhiou out for 3 games and Massengo struggling in the last game I would personally go with this team in 3-5-2 formation 

Bentley 

Moore                    Williams                    Baker 

Pereira                         Brownhill                        Rowe                                     O’Dowda 

Palmer 

Weimann                               Rodri 

Completely agree but if Nagy is back then Rowe back to lwb and Nagy in for O'Dowda.

Diamond for me. I want to pick Eliasson but I don't know how he gets into this system. Interesting LJ said he could play him number 10, which I guess would mean like as a strike partner. I feel LJ needs to develop Eliasson into more than an out and out winger so he always plays, regardless of system. 

Bentley

Pereira  Williams Moore  O'Dowda 

Brownhill

Massengo Rowe 

Palmer 

Weimann  Rodri

Bench: Maenpaa, Wright, Baker, Eliasson, Szmodics, Semenyo, Watkins

From what I've seen of Brownhill in that deep lying position, he looks very good there. Last night second half he was outstanding. And last season against Huddersfield he ran the show. He can still break forward from deep, and would be harder to pick up when doing so - he also scored against  Huddersfield in that role that won us that game.

O'Dowda at left back over Rowe is because I feel in a diamond you really need proper width from your full backs. You need the legs to get up and down and allow Rowe to play in his proper position where he can do a solid job. Of course they could swap over. I love O'Dowda central midfield, but I just feel Rowe doesn't offer enough at left back for me.

I feel that kind of side that finished the game last night should be stuck with as we were so good near the end. Keep that attacking confidence and momentum.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Diamond for me. I want to pick Eliasson but I don't know how he gets into this system. Interesting LJ said he could play him number 10, which I guess would mean like as a strike partner. I feel LJ needs to develop Eliasson into more than an out and out winger so he always plays, regardless of system. 

Bentley

Pereira  Williams Moore  O'Dowda 

Brownhill

Massengo Rowe 

Palmer 

Weimann  Rodri

Bench: Maenpaa, Wright, Baker, Eliasson, Szmodics, Semenyo, Watkins

From what I've seen of Brownhill in that deep lying position, he looks very good there. Last night second half he was outstanding. And last season against Huddersfield he ran the show. He can still break forward from deep, and would be harder to pick up when doing so - he also scored against  Huddersfield in that role that won us that game.

O'Dowda at left back over Rowe is because I feel in a diamond you really need proper width from your full backs. You need the legs to get up and down and allow Rowe to play in his proper position where he can do a solid job. Of course they could swap over. I love O'Dowda central midfield, but I just feel Rowe doesn't offer enough at left back for me.

I feel that kind of side that finished the game last night should be stuck with as we were so good near the end. Keep that attacking confidence and momentum.

Can't tell if serious or not ?

2 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

O'Dowda at left back would be a disaster, especially in a back four.

Massengo badly needs a rest.

Don't think he needs a rest. Looks one of our fittest players.

I'm not sure why O'Dowda would be a disaster. Solid in that position in that exact system when we played Boro. In fact he looked far better defensively than Rowe, and obviously going forward too.

Boro even stopped bothering to attack that side they had been most of the game targeting Rowe. But once they could see O'Dowda was comfortable there after the switch was made, they kept targeting Pereira instead.

I'm not saying O'Dowda is going to be the best defender in the world, but Rowe can be dodgy anyway when left one on one so why not go for someone who gives us some width like O'Dowda, who does not lack pace, and play Rowe in a position that suits him in midfield. 

Trying to think what our best line up for this one would be, especially with Fam out -  Rodri did enough to earn a start - but may not be fit enough yet. 

My wigan supporting friend reckons ther FB' s are particularly bad with tricky wingers, said that despite the win against Charlton Leko was ripping them to bits - so maybe Eliasson in? Think we may end up going 4-4-2 with wingers not our best formation but maybe for this particular game the best option.

I think Lee might like his new diamond.  So something like this:

Bentley

Pereira | Williams | Moore | Rowe

Brownhill

Massengo | O’Dowda

Palmer

Weimann | Rodri

Its possible Massengo could be rested, maybe Sam Szmodics coming in?  Or even Watkins up top alongside Weimann if Rodri not ready to start.  Who knows, Kalas could be back too?

We did play some super stuff with the diamond set up....and as fans if it means we are a bit more open, but we play as we did, I think we accept that.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Brownhill

Massengo | O’Dowda

Palmer

Weimann | Rodri

Its possible Massengo could be rested, maybe Sam Szmodics coming in?  Or even Watkins up top alongside Weimann if Rodri not ready to start.  Who knows, Kalas could be back too?

We did play some super stuff with the diamond set up....and as fans if it means we are a bit more open, but we play as we did, I think we accept that.

I think you’ve cracked it . I’d be surprised  if this isn’t the team that starts Sunday.  

How about....

Bentley

Brownhill

Eliasson I Massengo | O’Dowda

Palmer

Weimann 

Don't see Rodri ready for 90, after his impact I would hope KP gets a start. I thought COD was good and HNM slotted some great passes later on Vs Charlton so it would make sense to have NE and COD to offer targets wide.  TBH it will probably be the same as Weds, or the slight tweak to the diamond, but we are talking LJ so ......

.............................Bentley...............

.............Moore...Williams...Baker.....

Perreira...Brownhill...Szmodics...Rowe

.............................Palmer..................

.....................Rodri..........Weimann.....

Give Rodders 60 minutes, Semenyo from the bench. Would love to get Eliasson in but Massengo needs a breather and that forces us to play a shape that doesn’t suit him, IMO. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Brownhill

Massengo | O’Dowda

Palmer

Weimann | Rodri

We did play some super stuff with the diamond set up....and as fans if it means we are a bit more open, but we play as we did, I think we accept 

I would say if Rodri isnt fit or sharp enough to start then watkins  is definately not quite impressed with the spaniard missed a couple but think goals will come.

I think that a diamond with Weimann and Semenyo up top, neither needing to come deep too often because of Palmer who we maybe missed not starting last game.

They could both concentrate on going out wide as well as being in the middle. This suits both of them imo, they're both wide/central strikers. I'd actually go with Rodri, but just saying it may suit Semenyo more than the 442 where both strikers looked poor having to link play too much.

51 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think that a diamond with Weimann and Semenyo up top, neither needing to come deep too often because of Palmer who we maybe missed not starting last game.

They could both concentrate on going out wide as well as being in the middle. This suits both of them imo, they're both wide/central strikers. I'd actually go with Rodri, but just saying it may suit Semenyo more than the 442 where both strikers looked poor having to link play too much.

I've started to wonder about Semenyo, no hustle and bustle , where previously he's looked more energetic. Maybe KP would get him moving, TBF for the first half AW was almost as bad. 
KP will only show when he has options in front of him, when Rodri came on he always showed for the ball and his hold up play was brilliant, even under pressure (or attempted mugging on a couple of occasions ).  Maybe start with Rodri and let him get as many minutes in as possible, then when he's run himself out bring on AS. 

I know it's been said on many occasions , but to be where we are with (now)
3 of the expected back four out, plus injuries to 2 others at times.*
2 First team CMF out, and a mainstay sold.
and now 2 first choice forwards out.
Is nothing short of remarkable. I hope they have the expected impact as they return, the added touches of quality could really make a difference and add options.

* I have to add, I thought Pereira had a good solid game over all Wednesday . Probably didn't get forward as much early on, but tried to give an option as he settled.

Semenyo was getting better as the game went on, Wednesday night. Rodri made a great impact when he came on. If Rodri is not up to a full 90 minutes then surely it is better to have him on the bench to bring on for the final 35 / 40 minutes.

If we are struggling to break Wigan down then Semenyo won't be the answer from the bench.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I've started to wonder about Semenyo, no hustle and bustle , where previously he's looked more energetic. Maybe KP would get him moving, TBF for the first half AW was almost as bad. 
KP will only show when he has options in front of him, when Rodri came on he always showed for the ball and his hold up play was brilliant, even under pressure (or attempted mugging on a couple of occasions ).  Maybe start with Rodri and let him get as many minutes in as possible, then when he's run himself out bring on AS. 

I know it's been said on many occasions , but to be where we are with (now)
3 of the expected back four out, plus injuries to 2 others at times.*
2 First team CMF out, and a mainstay sold.
and now 2 first choice forwards out.
Is nothing short of remarkable. I hope they have the expected impact as they return, the added touches of quality could really make a difference and add options.

* I have to add, I thought Pereira had a good solid game over all Wednesday . Probably didn't get forward as much early on, but tried to give an option as he settled.

I think we have to sign Pereira permanently. He is so good and only 21.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have to sign Pereira permanently. He is so good and only 21.

Rumour of €6m (£5.5m) agreed fee.  He does look good.  Looking forward to see him get better.  He looks to have a good all-round game....and I think most of us want to see him be that more from him in their final third.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rumour of €6m (£5.5m) agreed fee.  He does look good.  Looking forward to see him get better.  He looks to have a good all-round game....and I think most of us want to see him be that more from him in their final third.

Interesting. That could actually be a good deal for us considering he already looks a good championship right back and only 21. Fantastic really for his age.

And he can play right centre back of a 3. Think LJ may consider using him as a centre back in the future as we look to progress our style. 

I think he does look good in the final third, but when you have Eliasson doing his tricks, its often best to just give it to him. A couple of great crosses last game from Pereira I thought. 

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting. That could actually be a good deal for us considering he already looks a good championship right back and only 21. Fantastic really for his age.

And he can play right centre back of a 3. Think LJ may consider using him as a centre back in the future as we look to progress our style. 

I think he does look good in the final third, but when you have Eliasson doing his tricks, its often best to just give it to him. A couple of great crosses last game from Pereira I thought. 

Just got into Portugal u21 side too, having progressed through every age group since u15s...no mean feat.

Sounds a lot of money, but like Kalas (even at £7m) and to a lesser extent the fees for Dasilva (£2m - absolute bargain) and Palmer (£3.5m) LJ knows what’s he’s getting....so the risk of £5.5m is small.

Its very different to Tomlin, as I think LJ now knows he needs players of a certain character.  None of TK, KP or JD we’re billy big-testicles.  Although Palmer is a flair player, he has a good attitude, a family man too...pretty mature for a 22 year old.

Hunt will be in final year of contract next summer....but would be good to keep both around.

edit: just noticed he’s yet to be on a losing side!

Archived