IGNORED

Leaving early

TinMan's left peg

Yes that old chestnut!  I really do understand that some people need to get away before the final whistle (long journey home with kids on a school night / off to do a night shift etc etc) but I’m not sure that accounts for the thousands that stream out at 85 minutes.  Last night really illustrated the point that it’s really worth staying if you can. Sport or indeed life doesn’t get much better than a 98th minute winner (the Robin’s tv guy seemed to think it was even better than sex - not sure LJ agreed though).  

A mate of mine made the observation that it happens less at the rugby where there is a culture of staying behind in the concourses and bars after the match.  I went to Bristol v Bath last year and it was great after under the Lansdown (bands playing, bars open etc).  Not sure if that only happens for ‘big’ matches though.  

sit in the car for a extra hour and not miss the last ten minutes...

Worth it in my eyes, especially when you've watched 80 minutes of the game and you want to know who wins (surely??).

Its like going to watch a film and not watching the ending.

Each to their own tho.

First time ever I left my seat before the final whistle, probably on 94 mins, two players were on the ground. I watched the goal on the screen in the concourse. I had to walk to Temple meads to get a train back to London and couldn’t afford to miss it. Didn’t get home till half two 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

First time ever I left my seat before the final whistle, probably on 94 mins, two players were on the ground. I watched the goal on the screen in the concourse. I had to walk to Temple meads to get a train back to London and couldn’t afford to miss it. Didn’t get home till half two 

You should of stayed til’ the end and jogged back to TM,lightweight ?

Generally leave few minutes before game ends (see how much extra time there is) unless it’s really important or can see a goal coming (which I didn’t last night) - main reason being I park in the industrial estate (opposite wickes by railway line) and if you don’t get out quick you can be stuck there for 30-60min. I have to travel back to Weston so not a million miles but vast majority of games not much happens in last few mins so I don’t miss anything 

It's a mentality issue.  Even at local non league matches with crowds of 50-60 supporters leave early ... it doesn't happen at the cinema as somebody pointed out .... or at the theatre .... and talking of LJ and s*x :laugh: ... imagine saying to the partner 'we're almost there but I must go now'.  It's daft .... just park about half a mile further away and walk for about ten minutes extra and traffic is far less of an issue.  Trouble is too many supporters are joined at the hip to their cars and won't walk.  

17 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Down to individual circumstances, some people will have to get away early for all sorts of very good reasons, others can make a choice, don't see why stayers get hung up about early leavers. As the saying goes, don't criticise a man until you have spent a day in his shoes.

I prefer the saying that if you wish to criticise a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. Then if you still feel the need to criticise him you have a mile head start on him and you have his shoes.

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Sport or indeed life doesn’t get much better than a 98th minute winner (the Robin’s tv guy seemed to think it was even better than sex - not sure LJ agreed though).  

Not with Mrs Johnson listening in he wouldn't!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I always leave just after kick off and never have a problem with traffic.

:bonkers:

...or being disappointed by the entertainment - or lack thereof.

24 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Down to individual circumstances, some people will have to get away early for all sorts of very good reasons, others can make a choice, don't see why stayers get hung up about early leavers. As the saying goes, don't criticise a man until you have spent a day in his shoes.

Quite right , it is wise to walk a mile in another man’s shoes before you criticise him. 
That way if he gets arsey you are too far away for him to slap you .

I see the very wise Handsofclay stole my post before I had time to write it .

:disapointed2se:

This is a similar discussion to those who miss segments of the match to buy a drink or food.

I recall a couple of years ago leaving a Mangotsfield United match at full time. I turned on the radio and GT was starting his post match phone in. Rovers had kicked off early that day and beaten Swindon 1-0. A lad called Ollie came on to give his view of the game. He is an enthusiastic young supporter fairly articulate and confident on air. In the past, when I'd heard him and his well considered impressions I had thought he was a potential sports broadcaster. Anyway, Ollie was giving his usual thorough and interesting view up In Rovers' win.

'And what did you think of Bodin's winning goal?' GT asked.

'Oh,' he replied, totally unfazed, 'I missed that, Geoff. I was queuing to get a pasty.'

I started shouting at the radio while driving onto the ring road, 'Greggs are open 7 bloody days a week in places if you want a pasty you absolute cretin!!!'

It struck me that if an enthusiastic young supporter like Ollie even misses parts of games for something that isn't essential, what hope is there?

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Generally leave few minutes before game ends (see how much extra time there is) unless it’s really important or can see a goal coming (which I didn’t last night) - main reason being I park in the industrial estate (opposite wickes by railway line) and if you don’t get out quick you can be stuck there for 30-60min. I have to travel back to Weston so not a million miles but vast majority of games not much happens in last few mins so I don’t miss anything 

Strange that you felt like that as I felt as if it was one of those games where a late winner could happen.

Archived