IGNORED

Leaving early

TinMan's left peg

When I was 8 years old during the 1970-71 season, I was stood down at the front of the Covered End with my father near the corner flag. Another boy about my age was stood adjacent with his father. City were playing Portsmouth. I never said a word to him throughout the match and vice versa. It was 0-0 and with about 6 or 7 minutes to go, the other father told his son that they had to go to beat the traffic. The boy looked at me as if he wished to swap fathers temporarily. I was bewildered myself as I had never witnessed such a thing or could comprehend why it was occurring.

City scored two very late goals in the last 3 minutes. I kept thinking about that poor boy and from time to time I have wondered if he ever, years later, wound up committing patricide. If he did I thought that the judge would be lenient with his sentencing if I provided this evidence of mitigating circumstances.

I have only ever left early once and that was our first home game in Division one. I missed our 4th goal v Sunderland. That taught me to always stay to the end. I now have a jog back to the car followed by a 2 hour journey. To miss the end last night would have been dreadful. Such drama and I’ve been buzzing all day. Totally different feeling I suspect if you watch 85 minutes then miss the best part.

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I have only ever left early once and that was our first home game in Division one. I missed our 4th goal v Sunderland. That taught me to always stay to the end. I now have a jog back to the car followed by a 2 hour journey. To miss the end last night would have been dreadful. Such drama and I’ve been buzzing all day. Totally different feeling I suspect if you watch 85 minutes then miss the best part.

Our first home game was 1-1 v Stoke City on a Tuesday night. It was when Cheesley sustained his career ending injury.

Have an 11 yr old son with a disability and so always leave seat with about 3 mins to go to avoid the crush. That will still annoy some I’m sure given we sit roughly half way in row!!! Although surprising how many seats are empty by then anyway ?Even more annoying is we hang around on gate steps til final whistle ... nights like last night remind me why

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Having had 20 plus years of waiting 10 minutes plus at the end of each game in the dolman , now in W2 of upper Lansdown literally takes 15/20 minutes off the time we get home. 

I recall when I was studying The Ancient World that The Colosseum could be cleared of a 50,000 crowd in five minutes. It was designed so well and incorporated wide exits at the best points to assist the flow of human traffic.

Mind you, the Master of Ceromonies announcing at the end that they were looking for 'volunteers' from the crowd to participate in the next show probably aided the rapid evacuation of the stadium.

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't even bother going to my seat. Just go in through the turnstile, turn round and go back out, back home. put the kettle on and make a nice cup of tea.

Sometimes like a lot of gas heads I don't even bother attending the match at all!

Never understood it, never will understand it. Would never, ever risk missing a last-minute winner, which I always thought was the sort of feeling we live for as football fans.

Imagine if you’d missed last night - or Korey - just so you could get home half an hour earlier to watch the last few minutes of Newsnight or whatever. It’s never made sense to me.

Tin hat on, but in the absence of a genuine need to disappear early, I sometimes wonder if early leavers really understand what it means to be a supporter, if they really value the game in the same way as the rest of us. And don’t even get me started on those who leave when it goes to 0-2 with 20 minutes still to go....

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Same goes for those who can’t handle 45 minutes without a drink

Agreed, and quite a few in the Dullmoan need to go out for a piss during the game, There's one bloke that sits in the middle of a few rows in front of me, and has done for several years. You can set your watch by him. Comes in a few minutes after KO, everyone has to stand up, goes out about 20-25 mins, everybody gets up, comes back in, everybody gets up, goes out 5 mins before halftime, comes back in 5 mins after halftime, everybody gets up, repeat first half in second half. Fkin' idiot.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Never understood it, never will understand it. Would never, ever risk missing a last-minute winner, which I always thought was the sort of feeling we live for as football fans.

Imagine if you’d missed last night - or Korey - just so you could get home half an hour earlier to watch the last few minutes of Newsnight or whatever. It’s never made sense to me.

Tin hat on, but in the absence of a genuine need to disappear early, I sometimes wonder if early leavers really understand what it means to be a supporter, if they really value the game in the same way as the rest of us. And don’t even get me started on those who leave when it goes to 0-2 with 20 minutes still to go....

Spot on.

Funny how people are so judgemental. I left on the 97th minute. Am I happy? No however, fellow reds, before you judge that decision and snigger at me you need to understand the bigger picture. It takes me nearly two hours to get to games. It costs £25 in petrol and £10 to park on someone's drive. It then takes 90 minutes to get home if I leave just before the final whistle or 2and a half hours if I wait til the end. I have a season ticket so that is multiplied by 23. Now, before you question my commitment to the cause, compare it with your own.

On my first trip to AG, I went with a friend, and we had seats in the Dolman (pre-remodel). He suggested leaving a few minutes early as to not be stuck trying to leave, and I wasn't having it. It was a Tuesday night game, and it took ages to get out of the stadium. We walked briskly to get back to BTM and catch the train back to London. We missed it by about 30 seconds. We hit up every hotel in the area surrounding the train station and everything was fully booked. We ended up spending the night at the closed McD in Asda and getting the 5am train back to London.

My daughter said at half time she felt really rough and wanted to go home. I said are you sure? She shook her head. She said it again  before the second half started, and shook her head when I asked if she was sure. I asked her again at 1 down if she wanted to go home, again a shake of the head. At the end of the match she said “Dad, I’ll never leave City early” 

Couple of Charlton fans appeared to leave early after trying to break through the stewards when they scored ?

I can understand people leaving on the 90 minute mark if they have mobility issues or need to catch public transport or have a long drive, but why oh why did thousands get up and leave last night with the game in the balance?  As an away team player it would give me a massive boost to see the home stands emptying as if their was a fire drill.   #Stay to the end.   

COYR!

3 hours ago, brad blit said:

Generally leave few minutes before game ends (see how much extra time there is) unless it’s really important or can see a goal coming (which I didn’t last night) - main reason being I park in the industrial estate (opposite wickes by railway line) and if you don’t get out quick you can be stuck there for 30-60min. I have to travel back to Weston so not a million miles but vast majority of games not much happens in last few mins so I don’t miss anything 

Likewise, heard the roar as I crossed Winterstoke rd but at least I didn’t get stuck for an eternity in the estate 

3 hours ago, swampy said:

It's a mentality issue.  Even at local non league matches with crowds of 50-60 supporters leave early ... it doesn't happen at the cinema as somebody pointed out .... or at the theatre .... and talking of LJ and s*x :laugh: ... imagine saying to the partner 'we're almost there but I must go now'.  It's daft .... just park about half a mile further away and walk for about ten minutes extra and traffic is far less of an issue.  Trouble is too many supporters are joined at the hip to their cars and won't walk.  

Why do you bother posting on here..? 
You literally contribute nothing and everybody (yes, I am generalising) thinks you’re a bit of a tosser (that’s not to say they don’t think I am. I’m just pointing out the consensus of opinion) 

Archived