IGNORED

Leaving early

TinMan's left peg

23 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Likewise, heard the roar as I crossed Winterstoke rd but at least I didn’t get stuck for an eternity in the estate 

I get stuck in that estate regularly, would much rather wait there for 30 minutes extra than miss a moment like last night though

Earlier today two of my neighbours asked me independently whether I’d missed the winning goal last night. I was delighted to say that I had not but that quite a few had.

Being sat near the end of a row and therefore close to the steps in the Dolman, every game loads of people descend to get away early and last night with City being on the front foot was no different.

The problem is that they bloody well stop and watch the action thereby blocking out our view. One bloke near me lost the plot and   gave some of them an abusive mouthful.....they moved on pretty quickly!

3 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

If you have to walk home, then leaving early makes no difference.
If you are driving home, then leaving early makes a bit of a difference,
If you are using public transport, then leaving early makes a massive difference.

If you miss 90+8 winners....it makes a massive difference. 

4 hours ago, brad blit said:

Generally leave few minutes before game ends (see how much extra time there is) unless it’s really important or can see a goal coming (which I didn’t last night) - main reason being I park in the industrial estate (opposite wickes by railway line) and if you don’t get out quick you can be stuck there for 30-60min. I have to travel back to Weston so not a million miles but vast majority of games not much happens in last few mins so I don’t miss anything 

Shame you have to leave early, and miss things like last night. Just out of interest, how much do you pay to park where you do?

I will except a few will always have to go early but watching thousands go early is just shameful on most of them, so what if u get home 30mins later for the vast majority of those lastnight it would have made no difference at all, support the team to the end, 

33 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

In case you missed it 

I missed the commentary...I was making too much noise myself!

I can't understand leaving early. I can't easily get to midweek games...or rather I live far enough away that I can't get back before midnight and that doesn't work for me. So I watch at home when I can...and don't miss a minute.

It does make you wonder what motivates people to pay for a ticket and then not stay for the conclusion of the match. 
kind of understandable if one team is 2-3 goals up, but even then “Mansfield” always stops me going. 
I wonder if other areas of these people’s lives mirror this behaviour,   like going out for a meal and getting up to leave after they’ve ordered dessert, before it arrives. 
leaving the cinema 5 mins before the end of a film, getting off the bus before they reach their destination, asking to fly home from holiday a day early...?! 
I just feel sorry for their Mrs, if it does extend into other activities. 

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agreed, and quite a few in the Dullmoan need to go out for a piss during the game, There's one bloke that sits in the middle of a few rows in front of me, and has done for several years. You can set your watch by him. Comes in a few minutes after KO, everyone has to stand up, goes out about 20-25 mins, everybody gets up, comes back in, everybody gets up, goes out 5 mins before halftime, comes back in 5 mins after halftime, everybody gets up, repeat first half in second half. Fkin' idiot.

My unpopular opinion on this is that I wouldn’t have the bars open when the game is on. Personally I feel the balance has moved too far towards those who want to be able to buy a drink at any time during the game, at the cost of those who wouldn’t dream of missing a second of the action. The latter are the true fans and should be prioritised.

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

First time ever I left my seat before the final whistle, probably on 94 mins, two players were on the ground. I watched the goal on the screen in the concourse. I had to walk to Temple meads to get a train back to London and couldn’t afford to miss it. Didn’t get home till half two 

First time I've had to leave early as had to get to Parsons street station for a bus replacement cause would meant waiting till 20 past 11 if I missed it,  was also after the 96 minutes were up & thought with the players still on the ground was no chance of anything happening but glad I got to see it in the concourse & managed to make the bus with time to spare which really pissed me off as could stayed.

Gutted I can't go Sunday atm hoping that changes COYR!!!

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My unpopular opinion on this is that I wouldn’t have the bars open when the game is on. Personally I feel the balance has moved too far towards those who want to be able to buy a drink at any time during the game, at the cost of those who wouldn’t dream of missing a second of the action. The latter are the true fans and should be prioritised.

Different country,  different context yes. 

However when I went to see Roma v Inter 2 years or so ago, they at some stage were selling beer like here.

Not only can you still drink it in the stand but they were selling it in the stand itself during the game!

Sure me and my mate were stood up the top of the stand,  Distinctive Sud (possibly against ground regs on ticket location) drinking! 

When my grandfather used to take me to AG he would insist in getting into the ground more than an hour before kick off and then leave 5 minutes before the end of the match! I would normally stay until final whistle and still beat him back to the car! He was in his 80s though.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It does make you wonder what motivates people to pay for a ticket and then not stay for the conclusion of the match. 

It has been mentioned on here that it didn't happen at Bristol v Bath, and cinema and theatre get a mention (people don't leave these early):

Nobody in Bristol goes to rugby, cinema or theatre 23 times a year. Like, nobody. There are eleven top class league games in rugby, the rest is pish, with pish crowds. Going to see Bris v Bath was an event. For us, there's another game this weekend.

So there's that for starters.

Like it or not, truth is many people amongst 20,000 going to AG are just not that into it. They are a bit meabout it. This is Bristol, remember (and folk leave early at every ground), and we are not that bothered about most popular pursuits. 

The question, the wonder, might just as easily be not why do some leave early, but why do they come in the first place? Isn't it great that they bother coming and paying for 85 minutes?

Without their money for tickets we'd not have the wage budget we have now and we'd have a poorer team.

6 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

What's worse? 

Heading out for a beer on 35 mins or leaving the stadium on 80? 

Leaving the stadium on 80 without doubt. At least if you get a beer you can watch the game on the screens down below, on problem is there a few seconds behind so you hear the crowd cheer a goal before you see it 

Previously with just two exits in the Dolman it was far more time consuming to leave AG and understandable why some people opted to leave early. However since the redevelopment is now much easier to exit the Dolman and yet people still leave before the final whistle....

If you use public transport and risk missing your bus/train then that’s acceptable to leave before the final whistle but I can’t think of any other reason.

I certainly don’t have a problem sitting in traffic for a while listening to the match report and phone in on RB. In fact I quite like it.

I sit in back row of the South Stand and as the late goal went in I was able to run up and down my row celebrating like mad as about twenty previously occupied seats were empty . I wouldnt have missed that goal going in for anyting .

What a moment . In such a close match anyone leaving early must be mad .Unless of course you absolutely have to .

14 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agreed, and quite a few in the Dullmoan need to go out for a piss during the game, There's one bloke that sits in the middle of a few rows in front of me, and has done for several years. You can set your watch by him. Comes in a few minutes after KO, everyone has to stand up, goes out about 20-25 mins, everybody gets up, comes back in, everybody gets up, goes out 5 mins before halftime, comes back in 5 mins after halftime, everybody gets up, repeat first half in second half. Fkin' idiot.

Dodgy prostate by the sound of it.  I can empathise.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It has been mentioned on here that it didn't happen at Bristol v Bath, and cinema and theatre get a mention (people don't leave these early):

Nobody in Bristol goes to rugby, cinema or theatre 23 times a year. Like, nobody. There are eleven top class league games in rugby, the rest is pish, with pish crowds. Going to see Bris v Bath was an event. For us, there's another game this weekend.

So there's that for starters.

Like it or not, truth is many people amongst 20,000 going to AG are just not that into it. They are a bit meabout it. This is Bristol, remember (and folk leave early at every ground), and we are not that bothered about most popular pursuits. 

The question, the wonder, might just as easily be not why do some leave early, but why do they come in the first place? Isn't it great that they bother coming and paying for 85 minutes?

Without their money for tickets we'd not have the wage budget we have now and we'd have a poorer team.

I agree entirely! 
I’m not saying “don’t come if you’re going to leave early!” 
I’m merely baffled as to why they’d come, if are going to leave early. 

15 hours ago, fatman said:

Funny how people are so judgemental. I left on the 97th minute. Am I happy? No however, fellow reds, before you judge that decision and snigger at me you need to understand the bigger picture. It takes me nearly two hours to get to games. It costs £25 in petrol and £10 to park on someone's drive. It then takes 90 minutes to get home if I leave just before the final whistle or 2and a half hours if I wait til the end. I have a season ticket so that is multiplied by 23. Now, before you question my commitment to the cause, compare it with your own.

No one is questioning your commitment.

But you have spent all those hours travelling and you miss the conclusion to the match??? thats not even logical.

3.5 hours and miss the most important part of the match OR 4.5 hours and watch the whole game. Its alot of travelling either way. I'd watch the whole match if i had to travel that much

Southampton fans now starting to leave after just 40 minutes.

Mind you they are 4-0 down to Leicester at home!

P.S. Its now 5-0 and Leicester fans are signing" Oh when the Saints go marching out! " :) 

On 24/10/2019 at 17:01, Sir Geoff said:

I have only ever left early once and that was our first home game in Division one. I missed our 4th goal v Sunderland. That taught me to always stay to the end. I now have a jog back to the car followed by a 2 hour journey. To miss the end last night would have been dreadful. Such drama and I’ve been buzzing all day. Totally different feeling I suspect if you watch 85 minutes then miss the best part.

Point of order Mr Chairman .... our first home game back in div one was vs Stoke when Cheese suffered his injury ... the 4-1 vs the  mackems was after that ...would have thought Geoff Merrick would have known that??

Edit: apologies @handsofclay - just noticed you’ve already pointed this out ...

37 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Southampton fans now starting to leave after just 40 minutes.

Mind you they are 4-0 down to Leicester at home!

P.S. Its now 5-0 and Leicester fans are signing" Oh when the Saints go marching out! " :) 

Some were leaving after the third goal on 19 minutes!

Mind you it's filthy weather, down to 10 men and 3 -0 down; the pub has to be a tempting prospect.

Archived