IGNORED

Identity...

spudski

I get that there’s an argument for not pressing hard to conserve energy but the complete lack of movement is so frustrating. 

The number of times that we are in posession and there’s just absolutely no movement is mad, Leeds and Charlton the two most stand out games for me, the opponents movement off the ball was a joy to watch. 

Apologies, haven't read all the posts.

My four-penneth. We have an identity away from home, hitting teams on the break together with high pressing (sometimes), but obviously that don't work at home playing style wise. This is where the problem arises imo; the players don't have a settled identity from one week to the next, which breeds confusion etc etc.

Injuries defo haven't helped, most notably to Afobe and Nagy, so who knows what Johnson had up his sleeve style wise (we'll probably never find out either). 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It saps more energy defending both physically and mentally...that's been scientifically proven.

That's why teams keep possession...at times they are able to rest when knocking it about. Then a trigger, and they go again. You can see when they do this, as a player will move behind an opposition player so he can't receive the ball...recovery time.

Playing with possession is far less fatiguing. That's why LJ has been trying to get them to make more completed passes. Not the only reason...but a reason.

Yep- resting in possession. That's why I'm so pro a central midfield 3, packing the centre a bit because it makes it easier to do! Can and does go too far the other way of course, but when you have the ball and are vs a proactive side- it means the opposition are having to concentrate and hard which is draining mentally and at times physically, or if they chase, they run, they press- two effects. They get knackered and spaces open later, or they get pulled out of position- ideally resting in possession at speed would be something to aim for I think.

The starting point though, something we need to improve on in general IMO, though of course the injuries have had a significant impact in this respect.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep- resting in possession. That's why I'm so pro a central midfield 3, packing the centre a bit because it makes it easier to do! Can and does go too far the other way of course, but when you have the ball and are vs a proactive side- it means the opposition are having to concentrate and hard which is draining mentally and at times physically, or if they chase, they run, they press- two effects. They get knackered and spaces open later, or they get pulled out of position- ideally resting in possession at speed would be something to aim for I think.

The starting point though, something we need to improve on in general IMO, though of course the injuries have had a significant impact in this respect.

Totally agree mate.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I get that there’s an argument for not pressing hard to conserve energy but the complete lack of movement is so frustrating. 

The number of times that we are in posession and there’s just absolutely no movement is mad, Leeds and Charlton the two most stand out games for me, the opponents movement off the ball was a joy to watch. 

I agree...our movement off the ball into the right areas in the opposition's half leaves a lot to be desired. 

What frustrates me more is the likes of Hunt and sometimes Pedro get it in the neck for turning back and going sideways...purely because they have no movement and good options in front of them.

Like you say...Charlton and Leeds stood out miles.

On 24/10/2019 at 22:05, Dr Balls said:

Hopefully lots of confidence will have been gained from yesterday’s final minute and result against the odds.

Well that was completely naive of me!

Our playing identity is “Possesion without intent”. That was obvious for much of today’s game.

Formations aside, this is what I see...

Solid defensive shape

Full commitment to blocks and chasing runners in the defensive third

Clever passing to transition from defense to midfield

Very direct transition from midfield to attack with sprints and first time balls

The problem with this is the sheer exhausting nature of it. We work hard in defence, then try to attack at pace. We try to be so direct that the majority of the attacks break down and lose possession. Then we have to work hard to defend again.

On the counter attack, we're often so determined to capitalise quickly that we make rash judgements. 

We don't play possession football and cut out the build up play. I don't often see the triangles that we used in the past or passing from side to side.

The reason that our XG is so low is that we try to play the killer ball so early, rather than trying to construct chances with passing and moving. 

It makes play frustrating to watch because we give the ball away so often, but I suppose the coaches would perceive the intercepted direct balls as nearly creating goalscoring chances, and they're happy to play the numbers game.

Archived