IGNORED

Have we got the balls for promotion to the top?

reddogkev

Hoping we get an important and convincing win tomorrow, but my question is, do we have the mentality at the club to fight for promotion right until the end?

I don't think we've played that well generally this season, but still find ourselves in a fantastic position.

Have we got the balls, confidence, belief, you name it, to keep this up all season?

I've said in the past that as much as I like LJ as the City manager, to me he doesn't have the winning edge or ruthlessness needed to succeed over a whole season.  Bloody hope he proves me wrong.

City being in the top league again is long overdue; will we have enough this time around, and will we fund a big transfer if we need it in January?

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Hoping we get an important and convincing win tomorrow, but my question is, do we have the mentality at the club to fight for promotion right until the end?

I don't think we've played that well generally this season, but still find ourselves in a fantastic position.

Have we got the balls, confidence, belief, you name it, to keep this up all season?

I've said in the past that as much as I like LJ as the City manager, to me he doesn't have the winning edge or ruthlessness needed to succeed over a whole season.  Bloody hope he proves me wrong.

City being in the top league again is long overdue; will we have enough this time around, and will we fund a big transfer if we need it in January?

The challenge for us fans is if we play a bit more like we did for final 25 minutes on Wednesday but don’t get the results because we are a bit more open - will we be happy?

Of course it would be nice to play the attractive football AND get the results!

28 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We have too many injuries to keep this up all season and our luck will run out eventually.

LJ not having a winning edge/ruthlessness is a bizarre thing to say. Not sure what prompts you to say that. I generally think he’s done a superb job with what he has.

As for a big transfer in January, nope, I can’t see it.

If our injuries clear up and we get another striker in January then I think we might just be top 6. With Afobe and Nagy fit I would have said top 6 for sure.

And yes I know we are top 6 right now but its a long season and LJ is doing brilliantly to get the most out of the players - not convinced we would be able to keep it up playing this way.

This side is similar to the GJ play off side where the whole was better than the individual.

I don’t see any reason why we can’t keep the season alive until the end, as many have said we still have first choices to come back and fight for their places. 

I believe Dasilva is a big miss and although Rowe has been excellent , as a stand in , he is not as good or mobile as JD whom  will offer  more attacking threat down the left hand side .

We’re punching above our weight with the squad available to LJ at the moment.

We’ve spent most of the season playing a Doncaster midfielder who their fans weren’t exactly devastated to lose at left-back because he’s filled in there before.

If the injuries keep up it won’t be a lack of bottle that stops us doing anything.

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Rowe was a great signing.

Team player, if the doncaster fans didnt rate him they cant know much.

24 goals in a 104 games is a solid record for a midfielder in a average team like that.

Plays in any postion with no fuss.

People forget he played 100+ games in the Champ earlier in his career too.  No mug.  Was more a flair player in those days with good technique.  His game has changed a bit, and almost like a fine wine, he has matured (his game) with age.

Would be a good player to sit and watch all 90.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

No

I think that's an unnecessary pop at LJ. The only recent managers I thought unable to motivate players for big games were Danny Wilson (how many play-offs did we lose out on) and Sean O'Driscoll.

All the other managers have had different motivational styles which differentially bring out the best from players.

If I was a professional footballer (I'm not, in case some of you were thinking that) then the least motivational manager for me would be shouty Cotts. Even sitting near him during the game had me thinking "Just shut up for two minutes".

With Kalas, DaSilva, Nagy and Afobe, I was thinking top 2 rather than top 6.

With all of these except Afobe, soon returning from injury, top 6 is really the best we can hope for unless we can get a genuine replacement for Afobe in January. That's a big ask though as availability is very limited in January and fees are inflated.

I honestly can't see us going up with the likes of Diedhiou, Semenyo or Rodri up front, though have not seen quite enough of Rodri to make a firm judgement yet as he is showing some positive signs (but doesn't have a great goal scoring record).

We can live in hope though.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Having lost  key players ( Kalas, Nagy, Dasilva dn Afobe) for the majority of the season I would say that being within 3 points of top spot absolutely shows we have the balls to fight for promotion to the end.

31 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Rowe was a great signing.

Team player, if the doncaster fans didnt rate him they cant know much.

24 goals in a 104 games is a solid record for a midfielder in a average team like that.

Plays in any postion with no fuss.

His midfield record Is good but wasn’t really the point (and also goal stats aren’t everything), Rowe has done really well as our LB but it just shows the position we’re in when a guy we brought in to be a back-up utility man who happens to have filled in at left-back before has been our regular... and we’re still 4th.

24 minutes ago, RedRobin96 said:

The answer is no

We ask the same question every year, it comes to December when we are near to the top and we all convince ourselves that we are going to spend ££££££ on a striker

Doesn’t fit the clubs strategy or philosophy 

We’ve got 2 months / 12 games before the window opens.  We might not even need a striker.

Our defence on wednesday was a bloke who couldnt get a club, a bloke who was playing for doncaster last season, a bloke who was playing for southend last season and a bloke none of us had heard of until the summer. 

Our midfield contained 2 guys that can't nail down a first team spot as are inconsistant and a teenager playing his first season in English football.

One of our two starting strikers hasn't scored a goal for us yet.

Our best CB, LB, CM and CF are all currently out injured. Not mentioning the others yet to come back.

When you look at it that way it's astonishing that we are 4th. But it suggests the team have a fighting spirit about them. Hopefully it will continue. 

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

There were times during the 75/76 season I uttered the same concern. Don't worry though, it all turned out OK in the end.

Soon find out I suppose. Win tomorrow to go second, win on Friday to go top, both winnable games. 
We’ve been in that position quite a few times over the last few years and never grabbed the opportunity.

Is this year any different? I think this week will go some way towards answering that.

10 hours ago, mozo said:

My concern is that there are some young lads in the team that could struggle with the pressures of the run in.

I believe the youngsters feel the pressure less than the more seasoned pros, at least that’s what the general concensus is.

There is a good spirit at the club which can help us through the tough times.

Archived