IGNORED

Wigan Athletic (h) Sunday 13:30 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

So, writing this on a Saturday evening, having seen another mix bag of results in the Championship.  There will be an expectant buzz around Ashton Gate tomorrow, with the chance to go 2nd with a win.  We are at home, Wigan are 19th, home win on the cards, surely?  Before you start getting carried away, a 5th placed City took on 20th placed Wigan in April, and drew 2-2, having gone in 1-0 down to a Reece James ‘thunderbastard’, recovered to lead 2-1 (Taylor / Palmer) before conceding in injury time to Pilkington.

How do they line-up:

F063A4D5-4510-4AD8-B6A3-237095D49E0B.jpeg.4faec46438090413e803c3611c463cb9.jpeg
Paul Cook typically lines them up in a 4231, but has gone to a back 3 a couple of times this season.

With Mulgrew injured, fully expect them to stay with a back 4.  They recruited well in the summer and I’m a bit surprised to see them nearer the bottom than mid-table.

I do like their manager Paul Cook, normally pretty straight talking and his sides, although usually strong, do try to play too.

The players:

GK: David Marshall - experienced, well travelled goalie who is a Scottish international.  Fine shot stopper on his day, who has played in the Premier League and boasts time at Celtic, Norwich, Hull and Cardiff.

RB: Dujon Sterling - On-loan from Chelsea, having been at Coventry last season.  Looks a good prospect even if not as stellar as last season’s loanee Reece James.  Will be interesting to see him first-hand.

LB: Antonee Robinson (my man to watch) - US international, v.quick, who likes to get forward into advanced areas.  Formerly at Everton and loanee at Bolton in 17/18, before joining Wigan on loan last season, being made permanent (£2m) in the summer.  Had we not got Dasilva (also £2m), I’m sure Robinson would’ve been very high up on our recruitment list.

CB: Cedric Kipre - man mountain of a CB, who is v.brave.  Ivory Coast u23 international who started his time at Leicester, and joined Wigan via Motherwell.  With the signing of Mulgrew he’s not been first choice this season.

CB: Chey Dunkley - 27 year old who’s played in the lower reaches of the EFL / Conference at the likes of Kidderminster and Oxford.  Big threat at set-pieces, with 3 already this season.

DM: Sam Morsy - Maltese International, who was high on our watch list during his time at Chesterfield.  High work rate, keeps the ball ticking, but has a decent shot on him.  Combative midfielder, whose already served a 5 yellow suspension this season.

DM: Lewis Macleod - Scottish u21 International who joined Wigan from Brentford in the summer having started at Rangers.  Neat and tidy player who compliments Morsy well.

AMR: Gavin Massey - ex-Watford youngster who played over 150 games with Colchester and against us in 14/15 season.  Had a season at Orient before joining Wigan 2 summer’s ago.  Certainly likes to get into advanced positions and willing runner.

AMC: Joe Williams - like Robinson, EC-Everton youngster, who had a loan at Bolton (and Barnsley too).  Lots of rumours that he was on his way to City in the summer, but ended up down the road from home at Wigan.  Not sure he’s an attacking midfielder as the graphic shows, as he likes a tackle too, and not really adventurous either.

AML: Jamal Lowe - winger who can operate on either side, who signed from Portsmouth in the summer. Not got into the same goalscoring stride as a Pompey, but got his first v Forest last weekend.  Will try to stretch us down the sides and a threat, even if not hot at the mo’.

CF: Kieffer Moore - Recent Welsh International who’s had a lower league career in the main.  Target man, a real threat in the air, who’s willing to run the channels too.  Former Yeovil and Barnsley player and linked to us in the summer.  Our CBs will know they’ve been in a battle.

Other players of note:

Joe Garner - nemesis of City over the years....with very stray elbows.  One for the ref to watch!

Josh Windass - bad memories of that surname, and we’re not talking Gary from Coronation Steet

Anthony Pilkington - ex-Man Utd who has goals against us for Wigan and Cardiff.

Charlie Mulgrew - hopefully injured as he has one of the best left foots in the Champ.

How do we win:

Need to play at tempo, and make sure Morsy, Williams and Macleod can’t create the low block in front of their defence, nor allow them to play pretty passes to deny us possession.

Clever running in behind will stretch them, and high crosses will be fairly futile against Cipre and Dunkley.  So Weimann key.

Prediction:

Tight game, expect Wigan to set up to frustrate, so important we don’t go gung-ho.  But expect us to win 2-0 / 2-1.

Thanks for this Dave.

Not sure how tomorrow is going to pan out. We're down to bare bones a bit squad wise; and there's a few that could do with a rest (especially Massongo).

I'm guessing we will start with Rhodri up front, with Semenyeo on the bench; after his failed audition on Wed.

The other decision to make it is about the wingers.

For me, they won't work with the likes of Rhodri and Weimann up front. I'd be more inclined to go with the diamond formation that we ended the Charlton game with.

Palmer would come in for either Eliason or COD. I'm guessing Eliasson as COD would be seen as working better in the diamond.

As for the back 4, it is of course as you were. In an ideal world, Rowe would come into CM to give Massengo a rest. But the only other option at Lb would be COD; and I think that's a risk too far.

So looking forward to some of the injured guys coming back. As it'll be like fresh signings into the mix in the run up to the January window.

Wigan will be strong and organised, and hard to break down. I can see there being one hoal in it i reckon. Fingers crossed its to us.

Thanks Dave. We do have a history of not delivering in these sort of games and it’s a old cliche but there really are no easy games in this league. However , we do have a fantastic chance to put a marker down that we’re serious playoff contenders . Considering the injuries to key players , it’ll be some achievement . COYR 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

So, writing this on a Saturday evening, having seen another mix bag of results in the Championship.  There will be an expectant buzz around Ashton Gate tomorrow, with the chance to go 2nd with a win.  We are at home, Wigan are 19th, home win on the cards, surely?  Before you start getting carried away, a 5th placed City took on 20th placed Wigan in April, and drew 2-2, having gone in 1-0 down to a Reece James ‘thunderbastard’, recovered to lead 2-1 (Taylor / Palmer) before conceding in injury time to Pilkington.

How do they line-up:

F063A4D5-4510-4AD8-B6A3-237095D49E0B.jpeg.4faec46438090413e803c3611c463cb9.jpeg
Paul Cook typically lines them up in a 4231, but has gone to a back 3 a couple of times this season.

With Mulgrew injured, fully expect them to stay with a back 4.  They recruited well in the summer and I’m a bit surprised to see them nearer the bottom than mid-table.

I do like their manager Paul Cook, normally pretty straight talking and his sides, although usually strong, do try to play too.

The players:

GK: David Marshall - experienced, well travelled goalie who is a Scottish international.  Fine shot stopper on his day, who has played in the Premier League and boasts time at Celtic, Norwich, Hull and Cardiff.

RB: Dujon Sterling - On-loan from Chelsea, having been at Coventry last season.  Looks a good prospect even if not as stellar as last season’s loanee Reece James.  Will be interesting to see him first-hand.

LB: Antonee Robinson (my man to watch) - US international, v.quick, who likes to get forward into advanced areas.  Formerly at Everton and loanee at Bolton in 17/18, before joining Wigan on loan last season, being made permanent (£2m) in the summer.  Had we not got Dasilva (also £2m), I’m sure Robinson would’ve been very high up on our recruitment list.

CB: Cedric Kipre - man mountain of a CB, who is v.brave.  Ivory Coast u23 international who started his time at Leicester, and joined Wigan via Motherwell.  With the signing of Mulgrew he’s not been first choice this season.

CB: Chey Dunkley - 27 year old who’s played in the lower reaches of the EFL / Conference at the likes of Kidderminster and Oxford.  Big threat at set-pieces, with 3 already this season.

DM: Sam Morsy - Maltese International, who was high on our watch list during his time at Chesterfield.  High work rate, keeps the ball ticking, but has a decent shot on him.  Combative midfielder, whose already served a 5 yellow suspension this season.

DM: Lewis Macleod - Scottish u21 International who joined Wigan from Brentford in the summer having started at Rangers.  Neat and tidy player who compliments Morsy well.

AMR: Gavin Massey - ex-Watford youngster who played over 150 games with Colchester and against us in 14/15 season.  Had a season at Orient before joining Wigan 2 summer’s ago.  Certainly likes to get into advanced positions and willing runner.

AMC: Joe Williams - like Robinson, EC-Everton youngster, who had a loan at Bolton (and Barnsley too).  Lots of rumours that he was on his way to City in the summer, but ended up down the road from home at Wigan.  Not sure he’s an attacking midfielder as the graphic shows, as he likes a tackle too, and not really adventurous either.

AML: Jamal Lowe - winger who can operate on either side, who signed from Portsmouth in the summer. Not got into the same goalscoring stride as a Pompey, but got his first v Forest last weekend.  Will try to stretch us down the sides and a threat, even if not hot at the mo’.

CF: Kieffer Moore - Recent Welsh International who’s had a lower league career in the main.  Target man, a real threat in the air, who’s willing to run the channels too.  Former Yeovil and Barnsley player and linked to us in the summer.  Our CBs will know they’ve been in a battle.

Other players of note:

Joe Garner - nemesis of City over the years....with very stray elbows.  One for the ref to watch!

Josh Windass - bad memories of that surname, and we’re not talking Gary from Coronation Steet

Anthony Pilkington - ex-Man Utd who has goals against us for Wigan and Cardiff.

Charlie Mulgrew - hopefully injured as he has one of the best left foots in the Champ.

How do we win:

Need to play at tempo, and make sure Morsy, Williams and Macleod can’t create the low block in front of their defence, nor allow them to play pretty passes to deny us possession.

Clever running in behind will stretch them, and high crosses will be fairly futile against Cipre and Dunkley.  So Weimann key.

Prediction:

Tight game, expect Wigan to set up to frustrate, so important we don’t go gung-ho.  But expect us to win 2-0 / 2-1.

A 5-0 win with a Dan Bentley hat trick 

Excellent preview @Davefevs between your previews and the reports by @Olé we always get a comprehensive picture.

Think it'll be tough tomorrow- this Wigan side don't lose by much all that often- we also saw at AG last season that they had more possession and a more positive approach than I reckon many thought they would. Certainly would be surprised if it's a thrashing! They look quite compact? Much weaker on the road of course than at home, Wigan so yes a must win for sure- not least as we can go 2nd and then if we do win this one, top on Friday. Feels a very op[en division this season and I've got my doubts about a few of the sides in and around the top 10- so if we can after about 1/3 of the season get into that top 2 or 3 with so many key players to return, it'd be a great platform!

1 hour ago, kivsy said:

A physical hardworking unspectacular team , can see a goalless draw.  
no atmosphere, and 59 Wigan fans! 
a chance to go second , a chance we usually don’t take to be honest 

here’s hoping to be proved wrong 

Agree. We not only struggle against a strong physical side but also with the expectation and chance to go 2nd in the league! That's said with over 50 years supporting City. Hope I am proved wrong too!

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Thanks for this Dave.

Not sure how tomorrow is going to pan out. We're down to bare bones a bit squad wise; and there's a few that could do with a rest (especially Massongo).

I'm guessing we will start with Rhodri up front, with Semenyeo on the bench; after his failed audition on Wed.

The other decision to make it is about the wingers.

For me, they won't work with the likes of Rhodri and Weimann up front. I'd be more inclined to go with the diamond formation that we ended the Charlton game with.

Palmer would come in for either Eliason or COD. I'm guessing Eliasson as COD would be seen as working better in the diamond.

As for the back 4, it is of course as you were. In an ideal world, Rowe would come into CM to give Massengo a rest. But the only other option at Lb would be COD; and I think that's a risk too far.

So looking forward to some of the injured guys coming back. As it'll be like fresh signings into the mix in the run up to the January window.

Wigan will be strong and organised, and hard to break down. I can see there being one hoal in it i reckon. Fingers crossed its to us.

When LJ gets the sack or moves on....I'm straight down Ladbrokes to put my money on you being the next manager....or are you LJ ???

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Personally, I think we should give Massengo a rest, and play this Massongo bloke of whom you speak. Although I don't know what he's like.

On a different note the attendance for tmrw looks awesome . The £10 mates rates clearly has had a great impact . 
normally the blocks of seats are released with the ones at the back of upper lansdown last to go but they’re on sale already , it looks like we’ve got less than 200 tickets left in the lansdown altogether and dolman alL sold out bar 20 tickets !

whilst I know Wigan only had an allocation of 661 the Atyeo will be quiet but the rest of the ground will be packed . 

16 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

On a different note the attendance for tmrw looks awesome . The £10 mates rates clearly has had a great impact . 
normally the blocks of seats are released with the ones at the back of upper lansdown last to go but they’re on sale already , it looks like we’ve got less than 200 tickets left in the lansdown altogether and dolman alL sold out bar 20 tickets !

whilst I know Wigan only had an allocation of 661 the Atyeo will be quiet but the rest of the ground will be packed . 

Not necessarily- Fleetwood in the Cup in 2017 brought small numbers but a fair bit of noise.

36 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

I’ve just looked online and there’s only 76 tickets left to buy in the whole stadium, that can’t be right can it ?

Incredible isn’t it !! If there were more tickets then I’d assume they’d have opened up on the site like they usually do . 

Archived