IGNORED

Penalty conceded by sub whilst not even on the pitch!

BCFC Rich

4 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Some of the anti VAR histrionics are already tedious.

But that is ludicrous. Book him for being daft but a pen? If it is the law then the law is a backside

Also the laws says either a free kick or a Penalty, so why not just give a free kick. Seems very harsh, just as well they won in the end.

It's pretty obvious why there's a rule preventing substitutes keeping a ball in play. And VAR should be there for exactly these type of YES/NO decisions.

Before people bring up common sense.

It'd be common sense for a player to know the laws of football.

It'd be common sense to wait until the ball had crossed the line to return it.

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

Some of the anti VAR histrionics are already tedious.

But that is ludicrous. Book him for being daft but a pen? If it is the law then the law is a backside

If it wasn't a pen what should it be? I hope you're not arguing it shouldn't be a foul?

And once it's a foul in the area, then what? Makes sense for it to be a penalty IMO.

You would have subs stopping goals, because it would only result in a yellow card. Or a free kick.

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It's pretty obvious why there's a rule preventing substitutes keeping a ball in play. And VAR should be there for exactly these type of YES/NO decisions.

Before people bring up common sense.

It'd be common sense for a player to know the laws of football.

It'd be common sense to wait until the ball had crossed the line to return it.

If it wasn't a pen what should it be? I hope you're not arguing it shouldn't be a foul?

And once it's a foul in the area, then what? Makes sense for it to be a penalty IMO.

You would have subs stopping goals, because it would only result in a yellow card. Or a free kick.

Well a free kick is possible according to previous post. It's a fair reply  and I haven't seen the incident so it may be more obviously worth penalising than it sounds,  but if it was just going out with no hope of being kept in play then a pen seems OTT?

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

Well a free kick is possible according to previous post. It's a fair reply  and I haven't seen the incident so it may be more obviously worth penalising than it sounds,  but if it was just going out with no hope of being kept in play then a pen seems OTT?

No I think it's exactly as described, ball is clearly going out and he doesn't wait for it to be fully out. The sporting thing to do would be for the other team to just deliberately miss this penalty as there was no harm/intent.

But I wanted to defend the rule/ruling and the ref/VAR for doing that. Like there's a reason why there isn't a rule to stop play because players are injured, it would get abused. And so would this if it wasn't punished in this way.

This shows what an absolute farce VAR has become.

There have been so many "missed" penalty decisions that VAR has failed to identify/reverse - the latest being the tackle on the Watford player at Spurs last week - yet VAR has managed to produce what can best be described as a technical offence.

Surely at some point someone has to take into consideration the spirit of the laws of the game, not just the technicality,  because the way VAR is going it is in danger of making the game sterile. I caught some comments on Talksport earlier today ( think it was an ex pro) suggesting that VAR is destroying everything that makes football what it is and this example only proves that to be the case. 

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There have been so many "missed" penalty decisions that VAR has failed to identify/reverse - the latest being the tackle on the Watford player at Spurs last week - yet VAR has managed to produce what can best be described as a technical offence.

Surely at some point someone has to take into consideration the spirit of the laws of the game, not just the technicality,  because the way VAR is going it is in danger of making the game sterile. I caught some comments on Talksport earlier today ( think it was an ex pro) suggesting that VAR is destroying everything that makes football what it is and this example only proves that to be the case. 

I totally agree mate. I dread the day the dead hand of VAR arrives in the Championship as I think that will be me done with football.

No-one ever walked out of a game saying `Oh well, we`d have won that game if our last minute winner hadn`t been disallowed because there was a slight foul twenty passes back in the move but I`m happy the decision was correct according to VAR`

47 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's absolutely killing football, destroying the sport week by week. Uncertainty, mistakes, debatable calls, slices of fortune. They were all as much a part of football as anything else, but this checking with some numpty in a studio stuff just kills the spontaneity and emotional release. I hate it.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Also the laws says either a free kick or a Penalty, so why not just give a free kick. Seems very harsh, just as well they won in the end.

I think you are misunderstanding the rules. 

A direct free kick would be given if this offence occurred outside the area, the offence happened in the area so therefore it's a penalty, a direct free kick can't be awarded inside the opponents area. 

Whilst in this case nothing came of the sub keeping the ball in play, what if he would have kept it in play and this rule of not existed? That's exactly why this rule is in place to stop teams getting an unfair advantage. 

Goaline technology has been successful, because it is a black and white decision.

Had VAR been introduced ( as I thought would be the case) to judge offside decisions, then I think it could/would have been equally successful, despite the arguments about by how much a player is offside ironside, because it is a clear cut, straight line decision.Once the technology was bedded in, then they could have considered expanding it's use, but the mistake was introducing it at the world cup, without proper testing in competition and without a proper understanding of the role of the VAR officials in the process.

What has created the farce is a combination of interpretation, the degree to which they go back in the move, and the debate about who should be making decisions about the game - the on field referee or someone sitting in front of a tv screen in a studio somewhere. It seems to me that increasingly referees are abdicating decisions on the basis of the VAR backstop, while at the same time VAR is missing too many obvious errors and failing to overturn them ( probably because of the damage this could do to referees' integrity.

It seems to me that a time out is needed to take stock of the success (or otherwise) of VAR to learn some lessons and make changes as appropriate. However, I can never see the powers that be backing down and accepting that mistakes have been made so we will be stuck with VAR and almost for certain it's use will be expanded still further.

Unfortunately, and with hindsight, you can see the introduction of VAR as the logical nest stage from the interference with the refereeing of games in recent times. Outlawing the tackle from behind 30 odd years ago was a sensible, and much needed change, to protect players' from career changing injury. More recently however we have seen the offside law being a moveable feats, while protecting players has gone from physical protection to allowing players to cheat by feigning injury, trying to kidd referees into getting fellow players booked or sent off and all the while referees seem to have become increasingly niaive to these "tricks of the trade", yet technology seems to fail to address the issue or help referees in the slightest.

My feeling is that football's administrators want to protect skilful players, because sponsors want to promote a beautiful game. The problem is that protection is getting to the point that all physical contact is being managed out of the game by prescriptive refereeing. The introduction of VAR gives the administrators the technological ability to increasingly apply the sort of on field changes they want as more and more decisions seem to be taken out of referees hands and are determined by faceless minions sitting in a studio.

VAR again in today's game at Brighton.

As commented on MOTD how can they give the Brighton penalty but not give the one for Everton when Richarlison is grappled to the ground by the Brighton defender?

Manager's have said for years that all they ask of referees is consistency. Bearing in mind that referees see incidents in real time with no slo mo replays to help them, you can forgive them the odd error or lack of consistency.

What is VAR's excuse?

Archived